NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Default Question on 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins

I just picked up a couple of pins from the Sweet Caporal set. This is my first vintage pin purchase, so I am not all that familiar with how condition is judged on pins. I have included a couple of pictures in the hopes that some of you experts can help me out! In my worthless opinion, all three look nice on the front. The Hooper has the worst back of the three. When judging condition, how important is the back of the pin? Thank you in advance.

As for the Williams, I have no idea what set or era this one is from. Any help? Sorry for the blurry pic, the writing on the pin does not look like that, was just hard to get a good clear shot of this one. It is a little larger than the other two. Approximately 1" in diameter.

EDIT: I have been informed that this Williams is a fake. Blah. Live and learn.

Last edited by timfsu2k; 10-07-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Nice P2 duo (particularly your LL Duffy).

To me, back condition matters little, as long as the front is well centered (esp P2s), and free of celluloid breaks/cracks, foxing etc.

I view back paper as a bonus -- and depending on the pin (for me), could command a little bit of a premium if it validates content on a unique piece.

I prefer my P2s to have back paper -- but, won't totally lose sleep if they don't.

In your case, both of your P2s look great (IMHO, the rusty collett on the Hooper is fine).

Your Williams is pretty common. As a novice collector, hold onto it -- I love the 1st few buttons I ever bought, even though I can routinely find them on eBay. Gives me a point of reference for how far along my "addiction" has come

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 10-01-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Al

Hello,
Your P2s look fine they are in nice shape but if you do continue to buy always try and get them with the back papers.
Your ted williams is a repro pin. The repros are very blurry and the backs are very shiny. The real ones are more in focus and the back is more oval with a very small circle in the back center. The edge also gets very black as it comes to the curl of the pin and doesnt have the graphics like the real ones,you can see that on my repro and yours.
Good news are they are very common for a real one and they tend to run about 10-20 bucks.. Keep collecting!!!
I put up 2 scans for you repro on right. Backs are a little hard to see but when you have them side by side you can see the difference..
Also putting up these 2 Ted Williams if you ever buy one. Repro on the right. This one is a little easier as the repro his name goes all the way up his shoulder the original has a space. Many people make the mistake when they buy this pin!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 11-16-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:48 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Question on 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins

I would respectfully disagree with Aaron's assesment on both counts. The fronts do indeed look great, but P2s, like S74 white silks, should be considered incomplete without the paper backing. I also think the rust or corrosion damage does materially affect the value. Another common problem, which yours do not exhibit, is brown foxing on the celluloid fronts. Nice examples from an interesting set. Enjoy them, regardless of value.

Last edited by edhans; 10-02-2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-02-2015, 06:11 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Is it worth it to get pins graded? Monetarily I mean. I just picked up a group of 6 Cracker Jack pins from 1930 and some of them seem to be in terrific shape. Is it worth it to get them graded or should I just sell as is?

Sorry for the thread hijack. Pin threads don't come up too often and I didn't think this warranted a new thread.

Tom C
Old 10-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
I would respectfully disagree with Aaron's assesment on both counts. The fronts do indeed look great, but P2s, like S74 white silks, should be considered incomplete without the paper backing. I also think the rust or corrosion damage does materially affect the value. Another common problem, which yours do not exhibit, is brown foxing on the celluloid fronts. Nice examples from an interesting set. Enjoy them, regardless of value.
I to tend to agree with Ed about condition. If you are collecting just for the sake of it than collect what you like. But the old adage still holds true condition is everything.. Stick to ones like your Duffy, no foxing(spots on the front) no cracks in the celluloid (front covering) try and keep away from heavy rusting on the rims as it does tend to bleed into the pin. Back papers intact. For some reason people tend to try and take out the P2 back paper.

Also of note for Tom C. dont try and wipe the cracker jack pins with any water or try and clean them as the ink that was used was water soluble and after a few wipes you will lose the whole front !

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 10-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbvLajoie1910 View Post
Nice P2 duo (particularly your LL Duffy).

To me, back condition matters little, as long as the front is well centered (esp P2s), and free of celluloid breaks/cracks, foxing etc.

I view back paper as a bonus -- and depending on the pin (for me), could command a little bit of a premium if it validates content on a unique piece.

I prefer my P2s to have back paper -- but, won't totally lose sleep if they don't.

In your case, both of your P2s look great (IMHO, the rusty collett on the Hooper is fine).

Your Williams is pretty common. As a novice collector, hold onto it -- I love the 1st few buttons I ever bought, even though I can routinely find them on eBay. Gives me a point of reference for how far along my "addiction" has come
never mind..

To the OP- Nice pins.....it's a great niche to collect!!

Last edited by Leon; 10-02-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I recently came across almost 200 graded Sweet Caporal pins that I am currently selling. I don't know how much weight is put on the back. I have seen several pins graded a 6 with backs that were off centered quite badly. Maybe they don't give qualifiers for pins because I never saw one. For example, look at this PSA 6 example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dooin20a.jpg (54.6 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg dooin2b.jpg (51.6 KB, 340 views)

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Another example of a PSA 6 with a bad insert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cicotte6b.jpg (57.4 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg cicotte6a.jpg (53.7 KB, 331 views)

Buythatcard

Old 10-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Yeah yeah.

I did preface by saying "to me" (thus implying personal preference) -- and even in my thought, I didn't say it wasn't important to have backpaper, just that it isn't always a deal-breaker (again, for me). Too, and I should've clarified, thats my feeling about pinbacks in general, as opposed to strictly P2s (which are a bit more "card-like").

Yes, Ed and Al are right. Condition definitely matters.

That said, if a raw Large Letter Lajoie or Young came up for auction without paper -- I feel confident in saying the hammer price would be just as competitve (or very negligibly different) than one that had it.

Yes, of course, if you are a high-grade P2 collector, every facet of the pinback matters: face, centering, clarity, backpaper, etc. just a little bit more than a common example. Even if you're not, Ed is right, a P2 is considered "whole" with the paper, and its great to have.

I'm just sayin', in my humblest of opinions, if you asked most pinback collectors, the celluloid's condition/face far outweighs anything that displays on the back, when deciding to pull the trigger on buying a piece.

So, If someone wants to dump their paperless Cobbs, Mattys, and Speakers, give me a call

Al is right, the Duffy is perfect -- congrats on picking up a great piece.

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 10-02-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Continuance of thought
Old 10-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
never mind..

To the OP- Nice pins.....it's a great niche to collect!!
What did you want to say, Leon?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks for all the insight guys!

As for the Williams, that's a real bummer that it is a fake. Live and learn I suppose.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM

Default How many pins in set?

Now that someone has opened a thread on the P2 pins, I have a question - how many pins are in the set? Some sources say 204, and some say 205. The difference seems to be in the George Mullin pins. In some sources, the set descriptions say that three players (Bresnahan, Mullin, and Wallace) have three pins, but then the checklist only shows two for Mullin.

I have seen the Mullen (sic) pin, with dark cap and small letters, and a Mullin (correct) pin, with a white cap and large letters.

Some checklists give a third pin for this player, supposedly a Large Letter pin, but I've never been able to determine how his name is spelled (Mullin or Mullen) and what color cap, if any supposed to be on this pin.

Does anyone know if a third Mullin pin actually exists, and if so, what are the details?

I hate thinking about starting work on a set without knowing how many items I would actually be looking for!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hufford View Post
Now that someone has opened a thread on the P2 pins, I have a question - how many pins are in the set? Some sources say 204, and some say 205. The difference seems to be in the George Mullin pins. In some sources, the set descriptions say that three players (Bresnahan, Mullin, and Wallace) have three pins, but then the checklist only shows two for Mullin.

I have seen the Mullen (sic) pin, with dark cap and small letters, and a Mullin (correct) pin, with a white cap and large letters.

Some checklists give a third pin for this player, supposedly a Large Letter pin, but I've never been able to determine how his name is spelled (Mullin or Mullen) and what color cap, if any supposed to be on this pin.

Does anyone know if a third Mullin pin actually exists, and if so, what are the details?

I hate thinking about starting work on a set without knowing how many items I would actually be looking for!
Hey Tom
Maybe you will have to settle for a less than master set? Just kidding, as a completionist with some things, I hope you find the answer. Good luck!! and a Matty small letters to add to the visuals....

Old 10-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Robert J. Miller

I just love these pins for some reason. Here are a couple I have. I also have a PSA 9 Tris Speaker......I will try to post that one later.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:28 PM
J1m C0chran

Here's a Cobby with some nice rusting, and one of your Mullin examples (SL Dark), with the paper roached out. Every back seems to have its own character with these guys!
Old 10-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Some Cobbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb39a.jpg (42.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg cobb39b.jpg (39.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg cobb40a.jpg (34.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg cobb40b.jpg (31.1 KB, 146 views)

Buythatcard

Old 10-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Scott M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hufford View Post
Hi Tom,

It has been many years since I've worked on my P2 pin set but the set is complete at 204 pins (unless new variations come to light).

For a few years, a third Mullen pin (White Cap with small letters) had been erroneously listed in the Krause guide but when I discussed it with fellow collectors no one had ever seen it.

Ultimately, a few of us wrote to Bob Lemke at Krause who researched and said that the third variation pin had been added to their catalog at some point but he could not find the evidence or justification for it being added so it was ultimately removed.

So, there is a Mullen (Dark Cap, small letters) and a Mullin (White Cap, large letters).

Regards,

Scott

Old 10-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Robert J. Miller

Scott, what are the three pins and flag on the bottom right? Is the one a Mrs. Sherlock bread pin?

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by philliesfan; 10-10-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Scott M.

Robert,

Good eye! That is indeed a Mrs. Sherlocks Bread Pin of Mudhens catcher Dennis Murphy. I don't really collect that set but needed something to fill out the display.

The other pins besides the P2s are a Hassan Comics pin, a Sporting Life advertising pin and an old Rutgers college stick pin in honor of my sons first year away at college this fall.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 AM
octavio ranzola

Scott as a nj guy stunning wow
Old 10-12-2015, 09:31 PM

Scott,

Many thanks for the info, that's sorta what I had suspected. Glad you could confirm that there are only two Mullin/Mullen pins in the set - that should make putting the set together much easier

Tom
Old 10-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Scott M.....thanks for sharing info. It is appreciated very much (beautiful pin display)!!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Scott M.

Thanks all for the nice comments on the pin set.

I don't remember where I got the suggestion to use a butterfly display for the pins, I'm sure it was in an old thread around here somewhere, but I'm glad I took the suggestion as I really like how it displays.

Tom,

Glad to be able to help out a fellow collector when the opportunity presents itself.

TBob (Hi Bob if you're reading this) and I were confounded by that supposed third Mullen pin for a long while before finally questioning the checklists.

Happy to spare you and other P2 collectors from the same frustration we experienced!

Regards,

Scott