NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default Jackie Robinson, a Great Person

Posted By: Matt

Is Jackie Robinson the nicest guy to ever play the game? Despite the hell he was put through, the man seemed sincerely happy just to be playing baseball. I have a 1955 Topps PSA 6 Robinson that is beautiful with it's original gloss. I hope to add more of his cards to my collection when I can afford to do so. The players that truly love the game are the guys I like best. Jackie is not only a great athlete but an important historical figure as well. Every picture I have ever seen of the man, he had a big grin from ear to ear. That says a lot about his character. I wish he could have played integrated baseball for his entire career. Jackie Roosevelt Robinson, this Bud's for you!

Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

A true American icon!
JimB

Old 04-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

I'm not old enough to have ever seen him play except for the few video clips that were saved. Had I been living during that time I would have been rooting for him all the way.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

happy? i don't think so. he was a rebel with a cause. campanella yes,and him and jackie weren't tight.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

If he was a rebel, it was the good kind of rebellion. I remember my grade school days when we were assigned a book report. I read a biography of Jackie Robinson and it was one of the greatest books I've ever read.

From all of the pictures I've seen, he still looked like the happiest man alive. When I feel bad, sometimes I can look at his 1955 Topps card and it lifts me up.

Speaking of 1955 Topps, has anyone ever seen one of these cards that was centered? I sometimes think Topps intentionally designed them to be shifted to the left. Does anyone know for certain on this?

Old 04-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Prematurely gray and dead at the age of 53, from a disease exacerbated by stress. He may have been happy to play ball, but I'll pass on the "happiest man alive" description.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

I don't know how I could have handled staying quiet and dignified like he did when all those racial hatred were spewed at him. To think he overcame all that and performed at the highest level is a testament to the character of the man.

Ricky Y

Old 04-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Rejected by some of his own team mates, taunted and demeaned by his intellectual and moral inferiors, the threat of a bullet coming at him at any time - to perform on the level he did, as you point out, Ricky Y., Jackie Robinson truly was a giant (small "g", lest there be any misunderstanding )

Old 04-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Ricky, you're absolutely right. I don't think I could have handled the hatred towards him at the time without being an angry bitter man. If I were in his shoes, I don't think you would find many pictures of me with a huge smile on my face. I just wish he would have lived a longer life to see how he changed sports in this country and to have seen how civil rights progressed.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Bob, true -- he never suited up for the Giants; close but not quite.

I was watching the Mets game the other night on Jackie Robinson day and the Dodgers' lineup for Robinson's first game was flashed onscreen. Keith Hernandez (who is a great commentator) was mentioning the names and how great the players were. After telling us that Dixie Walker was one of Robinson's teammates on that day, Hernandez failed to mention what a miserable racist Walker was (he refused initially to play with Robinson) and some of the difficulties Robinson faced from within his own clubhouse. That pissed me off. In fairness to Walker, he was raised in the deep south and was spoonfed his racism from birth. Eventually he came around and stated that his former views about Robinson were wrong.

Can you imagine having to stay at a different hotel than the rest of your team? And getting death threats before games?

Old 04-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike rothstein

It was a tough road for Robinson. I saw a really good documentary on the Dodgers on HBO - the Lords of Flatbush.

They referenced Robinson's trade to the Giants since O'Malley felt he was getting a bit too outspoken and perhaps militant - the times were changing.

To add - he served in the Army from '42-44 and was court-martialed for insubordination - he refused to sit in the back of the bus is what I recollect? He was acquitted - just imagine having something in your record for that type of thing?

Also - besides the racism - pitchers were "head hunting" for him. Wasn't it Robinson who was the first to wear a protective type of hat while hitting?

Mr Robinson died way too young - very sad.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Yeah, Jeff, have to give Walker some credit for being able to evolve and admit his error, as did Bobby Bragan. If I were in Robinson's position, in those early days, don't know how quickly I could forgive, though, especially, as these were his team mates, who are supposed to circle the wagons around you.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

In my book, Jackie Robinson was a really great BB player and more significantly....a great human being. As a young kid,
who has always been a Yankee fan, I was fortunate enough to see Jackie play from 1947 to 1956. Like Babe Ruth, Cap
Anson, Joe DiMag, Mickey Mantle (and others), I classify Jackie as a winner. During those years (1947-56), the Dodgers
won the NL Championship 6 years and Jackie was a significant factor in those victories.

Here is my 1947 Dodger Program (I think this is the 1st one with Jackie in the Line-Up).

TED Z

Old 04-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Jackie Robinson is greatness personified.

If I may use the term 'important' for a professional athlete... he is to this country and to the sport of baseball - the most important professional athlete.

As a society and as a sport, segregation was our stumble. But we all love the 'picking yourself up' from the stumble and going on to achieve great things. Jackie Robinson symbolizes baseball and society picking itself up. And, as we know, greatness followed.

As far as cards - the 1955 Topps is a beauty.

If I could make a suggestion for your next one....

Pick up Jackie Robinson's premier rookie card - the 1949 Bowman.
Don't waste your time with one of the second-rate rookie cards (the Leaf or the Bond Bread.... thats right, I said it).

Instead, grab the card that Jackie Robinson himself kept in his own personal collection until his passing..... the 1949 Bowman.

Almost prophetic.....

It is Jackie Robinson and it is Red White and Blue. It is perfect.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Jackie Robinson

Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Holy Cow! You still have a scorecard from 1947! That's absolutely awesome. That's like something that belongs at the H.O.F. museum!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Joe, the font on that flip looks a little strange. Did you buy that card off of ebay China?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Administrator

I buy all of my high grade cards from eBay China.

At least the card is not turning yellow.
I have seen some jackie robinson "rookie" cards where the background has turned completely yellow.
Imagine that? A yellow background Jackie Robinson rookie?
Everyone knows the rookie card needs to be red white and blue.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Joe, there is in fact a rare Robinson rookie version that is yellow and has an overall better looking front as well. You don't see as many of the yellow version due to the exponential rarity compared to the old red white and blue version.

By the way, I just finished Charles Alexander's bio of Cobb and on page 234, Cobb discusses baseball cards -- he noted that the first time he ever saw one of his cards was when he was in Cuba in 1946 -- and therefore, that was his rookie card according to him. Immediately thereafter, I had the great fortune to pick up this beauty/rookie of Cobb, I was wondering if you'd like to buy it from me for $10,000 -- just a tad more than I bought it for but that was before it was Cobb's first card. I would be willing to substitute your common Robinson rookie instead if you are so inclined.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I'm with Joe - I can't imagine there being a more important athlete, and I consider Jackie to be one of the most important figures in American history.

-Al

Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Here's a Jackie Rookie Card.......

Old 04-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

of course, I jest about the Bond Bread cards. They are very cool.

Jeff -
"You don't see as many of the yellow version due to the exponential rarity compared to the old red white and blue version. "

I have heard the same urban legend.
Yet PSA Pop report has 572 of the Jackie Robinson card with the yellow background
And 601 of the Jackie Robinson Rookie with the proper red background.

Clearly the cards that have gone yellow are not an exponential rarity compared to the red white and blue version.

Oh wait... I am mistaken. There are 602 of the 1949 Bowman rookie cards. I almost forgot to add in the one card that Jackie Robinson himself held until his passing. The 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson Estate card.

edit to say: cool cobby. and to insert some smileys: