NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Bill par.sons

Default 1961 High Numbers

Looking to work on this set and about 60% of the way there, but the purpose of the post is to get an idea on the tougher 61 last series cards, also the easier ones. Any help appreciated, thx billp
Old 07-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default 1961 High Numbers

The high numbers are not that tough. I completed the set and then sold it a couple of years ago. The toughest card for me was #578 Mantle in a decent grade. It depends what grade that your looking for. They can get pricey in NM condition, but you can usually find them on eBay or our own BST. I have several 1961 high numbers for sale on the BST right now. Both high grade and medium grade.

Best of luck in completing the set. I really enjoyed putting the set together.

Joe
Old 07-19-2014, 01:22 AM
Todd Schultz

I haven't collected the set in 10+ years, but remember that the toughest, especially if you wanted them decently centered, were Gibbon, Gentile and Cerv. For some reason I was never able to find a Jack Curtis with centering I liked either, at least in high grade. Other Yankees Coates and Sheldon were somewhat tougher also as I recall. The Wilhelm card when found in nice condition is one of my favorite cards.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-19-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Bill good luck with the set, as you can see from my signature line, I'm 2 cards from completion. Todd's post above is pretty spot on. I have had major difficulty with finding the Coates card centered, in good condition for a reasonable price. Like most sets your condition and centering requirements will make this either a fairly simple set to put together or quite challenging. My set is roughly Ex/Mt and I'm a stickler for centering so it has been some work but I've had a great time. Patience has been key to not allow my condition goals to slide. Gibbons, Coates and Gentile are hard to find centered. Kaline and Musial always seem to be OC and or have the image tilted and for some reason I found Hal Smith #242 selling at a premium on Ebay, no idea why. I'd be happy to share my thoughts as they are still pretty fresh on this set. I have roughly 50 extras including some high numbers as well that might help you along. Good luck it's really a great set, IMO.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty

Last edited by brob28; 07-19-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Fifteen years ago I would say the 61 highs were considered among the tougher runs to complete but not so anymore. I was always curious why in the past they were thought of as tough.

Last edited by toppcat; 07-19-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
for some reason I found Hal Smith #242 selling at a premium on Ebay, no idea why.
There is one buyer who consistently buys most every copy of this card listed on ebay....I have sold 50+ copies of this card to him via ebay over the past few years....he is the only one who buys any copies of this card when I list it and he normally buys within a day or two of me listing. This 61 242 Smith card buyer is very similar to another ebayer who used to buy many copies of the 64 Curt Flood card.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
There is one buyer who consistently buys most every copy of this card listed on ebay....I have sold 50+ copies of this card to him via ebay over the past few years....he is the only one who buys any copies of this card when I list it and he normally buys within a day or two of me listing. This 61 242 Smith card buyer is very similar to another ebayer who used to buy many copies of the 64 Curt Flood card.
SCD ran an article about a deranged soul whose sole purpose in collecting, or so it seemed, was to own every 1958 Topps Solly Hemus card. I think he had something like 500+ copies of that Solly. Maybe he was trying to corner the market on this card, and create a quasi-artificially-self-induced rarity. As if to say, "if you need this card, you'll have to come to me. Be prepared to pay through the nose!"

People like this already have too much of something else up their nose. It's a free country. These people just don't fit in with the "collect what you love" and "buy the card, not the number" or most any other kind of collectors. Or people period. They didn't get enough attention when they were growing up. They want to achieve some sort of crazy idiotic power.

But at the end of the day, I can't help but think they'd be disillusioned with their collecting life.

--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-20-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: I was too harsh.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Bill par.sons

Default 1961's

Thx to all posters. Last night won a large lot of 61's from TriplePlay Vintage in Ohio. Listed 322/587 but desc had 427 so I dived in. The description of all cards in the lot added to 427, with so many that I needed. So I called about it. Seems like three's only 322 so probably going to back off on the technicality. At least they were up front about it.
Mixed messages on this seller but I was willing to try it out.
Centering has not been a large issue for me, but diamond cut stuff is. I hate it. Really impacts my 66 and 67 sets. Not so much my 62-64 or 59's.
I will keep your good input in mind when looking. I had seen the note on card #242 and bought a lot earlier with that card in it and in mind.
Thx again to all.

BillP

Really like this forum for questions. It's a great hobby.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
SCD ran an article about a deranged soul whose sole purpose in collecting, or so it seemed, was to own every 1958 Topps Solly Hemus card. I think he had something like 500+ copies of that Solly. Maybe he was trying to corner the market on this card, and create a quasi-artificially-self-induced rarity. As if to say, "if you need this card, you'll have to come to me. Be prepared to pay through the nose!"

People like this already have too much of something else up their nose. It's a free country. These people just don't fit in with the "collect what you love" and "buy the card, not the number" or most any other kind of collectors. Or people period. They didn't get enough attention when they were growing up. They want to achieve some sort of crazy idiotic power.

But at the end of the day, they look like Van Heflon did in AIRPORT when he looked at his face in the mirror just before he was about to blow himself up, along with a big hole in the plane!

--Brian Powell

I guess I better quite buying those Hemus cards. As for Airport

Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Larry More.y

Al: TMI
Old 07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:

That would make sense, I bought mine at a local show for the price of what it is, a common. As for the guy buying them all up - whatever floats your boat, I see a future for him, similar to those of the people that hoarded all the wax in the early 90's.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Bill par.sons

Was following a lot of 8 cards and a lot of 5 cards both 61 high number lots in exmt condition today on ebay. The 8 card lot went for $150 the 5 card $90. Those prices were at $60 and $30 with 1 minute to go then it exploded.
Bob Cerv seams to be the go to card here. Along with Gentile.

Anyway, far fewer 61 highs offered than any other 60's set.

I can only say it will be a long road on this set.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If anyone is looking to trade, check out my thread in the B/S/T section. Got a whole bunch of high numbers available.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Was following a lot of 8 cards and a lot of 5 cards both 61 high number lots in exmt condition today on ebay. The 8 card lot went for $150 the 5 card $90. Those prices were at $60 and $30 with 1 minute to go then it exploded.
Bob Cerv seams to be the go to card here. Along with Gentile.

Anyway, far fewer 61 highs offered than any other 60's set.

I can only say it will be a long road on this set.
I was a bidder in the 8 card lot (6 by the title) and was shocked also by the result....especially at the hour of the morning. At that hour of the day, I am rarely sniped by (at least) 5 other bidders.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 07-22-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Bill par.sons

I know, there were 8 pictured and 6 in the title. The cards were attractive, thought I had a chance. Again, must have been something about the cards offered.
Went to an old beckett circa 91 and the Gentile, Cerv and Monbouquette were all list as individual cards. So something was going on with scarcity.
Another 1967 high mystery
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Larry More.y

Bill, I think what drove the price on this auction is that they were not only nice looking cards, but more importantly, they were consistently centered.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Bill, I think what drove the price on this auction is that they were not only nice looking cards, but more importantly, they were consistently centered.
I did not see the cards, but can't agree more if they are centered. If you're looking to put a set together that is well centered it will be some work. But nothing good is easy!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Al: TMI
Actually, more details are needed....
Old 07-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Default Tmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I guess I better quite buying those Hemus cards. As for Airport

I agree with David....more information need. Not meaning to re-direct the thread, but what are the details Al?

Z
Old 07-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Tom Boblitt

Default 61 Highs

Love the 1961 set. I finally finished mine and have been upgrading some cards. $20 for a centered high number EX or better common seemed to be what I had to pay--especially at shows. I was able to get some lots off ebay lower than that but the centering was more suspect. The Gentile and Cerv cards were especially difficult for me and I think I paid more like $30-$35 in nicer condition on them.

For some odd reason, I bought another near set and now have more high numbers to buy to finish it. It's on the back burner while other stuff is going though.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Rich Klein

I'm moving to Lubbock ASAP
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Bob F.

Since Al has long since left Lubbock, I'm guessing that Jackie has no reason to still be there.