NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2002, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default Overgraded SGC Ramly

Posted By: Paul

I'm not surprised to learn that SGC makes mistakes. But this one is pretty obvious. How could anyone call this VG?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854799668

Old 08-30-2002, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

The card looks to be about Ex with a crease. Either G-Vg or Vg. Do you see something else wrong with it?

Old 08-30-2002, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I have seen plenty of SGC cards with no creases but more corner wear adn they got 30s. That just doesn't seem right. I would grade a crease free card with rounded corners higher than a creased card with sharp corners. I'll take eye appeal any day.

Jay

Old 08-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Administrator

<< I have seen plenty of SGC cards with no creases but more corner wear adn they got 30s. >>

And without stains, tears, tape, glue or other significant defects? I haven't.

Old 08-30-2002, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay berhens

some back stains. But still, that crease is pretty heavy and I would still rather have a back stained creaseless card with round corners over one with a big crease like that. But then, that's just me.

Jay

Old 08-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Jay --

I agree. Given the same technical grade on two different cards, some defects appear less obtrusive than others.

Old 08-31-2002, 08:05 PM
Administrator

I had always thought that one giant crease all the way across the card reduces it at least to Good. VG cards have lots of corner wear and maybe a noticeable wrinkle or two. But maybe standards have changed.

I agree with the rest of you that I'd much rather have a card with badly rounded corners than one with a crease like this.

Old 08-31-2002, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I feel this is consistent with SGC grading. Unfortunately, like MW said, the technical grade doesn't take into account eye appeal. It should.
best regards,
leon
ps....I know this is a very subjective issue.

Old 09-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

If it has one crease of an inch or longer, combined with any other crease (regardless of size), it gets reduced to 'good'. The 'good' card could have tremendous eye appeal - here's an e95 Wagner (cracked out of an SGC 'good' holder) that failed the 'crease' rule, but looks much better than this Huggins Ramly. The creases are so faint you can barely see them in the scan, but they are there:

Old 09-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Administrator

I'll buy a card that looks like your Wagner, rather than the Huggins,every single time. It seems like they're using a real bad mechanical rule that doesn't take into account traditional grading standards or the appeal of the card.

Perhaps their focus is on distinguishing 7s from 8s and distinguishing 8s from 9s, and they don't care much about lower end cards.

Old 09-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

two things:

1. the crease isn't quite as bad as it looks (though, of course, it's still pretty bad) and

2. i wouldn't be surprised if slightly less stringent standards were applied to ramlys -- not much, but it's much more uncommon for a ramly to survive in this kind of condition (minus the crease, of course) than other contemporaneous caramel & tobacco cards.

that isn't to say that SGC ought to grade that way, but it's plausible that really condition-sensitive cards (in mid or low grade) get cut a little slack.

Old 09-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Caramel cards are graded just as tough as the tobacco issues, even though some (e95's and e96's for example) are printed on thinner stock and had less of a chance of surviving in top condition than most tobacco issues. I also think, based on examples I have seen and submitted to them, that they are just as tough on Ramlys as caramels.

I would love to hear an opinion from Scott Brockleman, since he has seen many more SGC-graded Ramlys and Philadelphia Caramels than I have.

Old 09-01-2002, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

But as I have said elsewhere, a clear scan shows the buyer just what this "VG" card is all about.

From SGC's website:

Centered 90/10 or better. This card usually exhibits one or more of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tear, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss.

Old 09-01-2002, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the quote from SGC's website. This card certainly fits within SGC's own definition of VG. I just didn't think that "heavy crease(s)" or "pinholes" or a "tear" or "ink" (at least on the front) could ever qualify as VG. I guess SGC just has very strict standards for the high grades, and very loose (but openly stated) standards for the low grades. Of course, that still doesn't explain why that really nice caramel Wagner is a 2.

Old 09-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar