NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Is this book the same as the monster?

Posted By: Tom A 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854559054

I realize the author is different, but does anyone know if the content is the same? Is one recommended over the other? Asking because i can't seem to find the monster.
Thanks

Old 08-30-2002, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

I'm not a T206 Collector, but bought it almost a year ago.
It's a small informative booklet, but guess it's too simple for the advanced T206 collector.

Old 08-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

between the 2. I think the checklists are comparable, and beyond that there isn't a great deal of information in one that is not in the other, as I recall.

Old 08-30-2002, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Any chance it is for sale generally somewhere, like Amazon or something?

Old 08-30-2002, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

pertinant info on t-206's from the Monster I will dend you for free if you send me an address.......or better yet,I'll figure out how to post it here later...with a joke or two!

Old 08-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I haven't seen (the monster) on amazon or alibris (used books) or ebay. i read in an older thread that sportscards plus had some about 2 months ago but i couldn't find any on their site now. I see this book on ebay all the time but hadn't heard anything good or bad about it, whilst i still hear about the monster all the time, so i was mainly just wondering if one is "better" than the other.
thanks for your input.

Old 08-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

on ebay, and on used book sites...so far, no luck.

Old 08-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

from SportscardsPlus about a month ago. Postage paid, $16.99 as I recall. It's not on their website, but if you call their 800 number, the guy will hold onto one for you (you have to send a money order- no credit card orders).

Anyway, after I got The Monster, I found it to be only marginally more informative than the Mysteries of T206 book which I already had.

Old 08-30-2002, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Now that weīre talking books, you guys may want to buy Ruckerīs book of cartes.
Itīs a nice little book with excellent pics of many rare CdVīs.

http://www.vintageballist.com/books.html

Old 08-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I would love to see prices for vintage games, cdv's and cabinets included in the memorabilia price guides. I realize the prices would be ranges, especially with cdv's, but it would still be of value to the hobby. Suggestion would be to offer price ranges based on number of players in the cdv, size, whether or not players are i.d.'d, pro or amateur, and year range (maybe 1860-1865,1865-1870...etc.).

...I am walking along a beach, looking forlorn, then pull out my Brittany swatch card and...hi, honey, I'm feeling pretty frisky!

Old 08-30-2002, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hey Scott, that would be nice...

Hey, itīs Britney not Brittany!!!

DISCLAIMER: NOT A FAN OF "BRITTANY"

Old 08-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

The main difference between these two booklets is that "The Monster" has a cross-grid checklist that is broken down by backs within each series, indicating availability based upon the author's (Bill Heitman) research and projected theories. Thus each card has a line of 31 potential backs available, and any back combination on a particular card that the author has concluded does not exist, he has blackened in that grid.

This booklet was put out in 1980, so I imagine some of the information in his checklist is no longer accurate or maybe incomplete (never really looked into it--not a 'back' guy). Still, this grid checklist makes it more interesting than the "Mysteries" booklet, especially for collectors of T206's interested in backs. Supposedly there was a T206 book to be published that was to include a wealth of new information/research, but it has been 'held up at the press' for close to a year now, and us vintage collectors long ago stopped holding our breaths.

Brian

Old 08-30-2002, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Old 08-30-2002, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Can't really compare the two (as others have done on this thread), but you CAN get "The Monster." Just type in "www.sportscardsplus.com" and, in addition to telling you all about their current auction, they have a big 800 number listed, where you can bid, or ask about anything you want. 9-5ish, pacific daylight time.
Pay with plastic or check (but no credit cards in their auction, though they usually sell cards with Visa, Mastercard, etc.)Bill Heitman wrote it.

I notice is SAYS it lists all the players, and the various backs they appear with but, like, with Wagner (Pittsburgh), it lists 5 or 6 different backs, and as far as I know, Wagner has only been found with 2 backs, Sweet Caporal and Piedmont--and the Piedmont ones have been found recently, the book printed in 1980. ???

Old 08-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Administrator

I think the "Monster" checklist was designed to indicate for each card what back combinations did not exist. All remaining back combinations were to be viewed as to possibly exist, but this does not mean they do exist. Thus, according to his theories, the Wagner card could exist with eight different backs, as is shown on his checklist.

This is my theory on his checklist--he never really explains in his booklet what criteria he used to design the checklist. Nothing like basing theories on other people's unexplained theories.

Brian

Old 08-31-2002, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JamesW

I am working on a checklist of T206's with the different front and back combinations.

Basically using both the Monster and Mystery books as a guideline for series information and eBay for actual backs.

If anyone would like to help out by emailing a list of the T206's you have along with the various backs (include factory information as needed i.e. Sweet Caporal 350/460 backs and others) it would be greatly appreciated.

All this information is being put into a database so that the information can be easily retrieved. If someone wants to know what cards were issued with Carolina Brights backs it's easy to get the list. Or if someone wants to get a list all front and back combinations for Hal Chase, it's easy to get. Or if someone wants a list of all front and backs for any team it's easy to get. I think you get the picture by now.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

James Walker

Old 08-31-2002, 08:57 AM
Administrator

I can go through my collection and check (got about 500 or so T206's) - will you be doing the same with 205's and 207's (and others?), coz i have some of them too.

Old 08-31-2002, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JamesW

Yes, I do plan on working on other sets.

The T205, and T207 will most likely be next.

Will also be working on the E94 with the different color fronts. (Hoping petecld will help out a lot on this set).

And always open to any other suggestions for set verification.

James Walker, Jr.