NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Wagner Fake alert

Posted By: David 

postcards not included

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1846720201

Old 07-27-2002, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Walker, Jr.

Seller has been an eBay member for over 2 years (since May 20, 2000) and has NEVER bought or sold anything.

And not to mention it's a "private auction".

Old 07-27-2002, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

over 2 years on ebay and no negatives or neutrals? thats pretty good! good thing david told me because i was about to write a bad check for 170,000(i figure if im gonna write a bad check might as well use the buy it now) altho i could reprint a check and send it,hmmmm
maybe ill just pass because i have this same reprint and a funny story that goes along with it.When i first started collecting t206 cards when i was 16,i had 1 t206 at a time,a guy at a show who i just bought a few cards off of said he had something to show me that i wouldnt believe,and he reached into a box and pulled out the same reprint as in the auction and i almost fainted till he said i could have it! Then it clicked when i actually held the card and could see the obvious differences but for those few seconds my heart was jumping

Old 07-27-2002, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw (practicing my slang today)

At least this moke listed the dingus for a very big price, costing himself a nice fat listing fee in the process.

Doesn't this nimrod realize that anyone with 100g's sitting around isn't stupid enough to buy an ungraded Wagner from a zero feedback yahoo? Can't wait for him to shill on this one; what's the vig, around $1000+ for a $100K bid??

Old 07-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

My Note: Yawn.....so who are these "best known collectors"? Why do all these fakes come from Ohio and Kentucky? You should change your "location" to somewhere that people have more faith in...like Hawaii.

and...(drum roll)...the anticipated intelligent response - truly an explanation worthy of publication on the t206museum site:

"You are entitle to you own opinion. But can you tell me that this card is a fake. If you say that the image is to old looking then guess what the card is 93 years old. Second if you say it a repaint then guess what, if it was their wouldn't be a factory No.25 2.dist. Va. on the back of the card, it would say reprint on the back of the card or there wouldn't be no print at the button period due to someone scratching the reprint name off the card. So do your research before you give an opinion on something so rare because for the past 25 years I have done my research!"

--------------------------------------------
no disclaimer - temporarily taking responsibility for my actions

Old 07-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

I was thinking it was Broadway ( Highway ) Rick!

or Leon Luckey or "bestest" known Mike Williams,
Jay,'Brunners",maybe " greenhornet!" or someone else with an e-bay handle of "Nodgrass"....Hey Dan! If you read this dribble please write the guy and ask him for some NAMES of the folks WE/You can talk to about their opinion of this "card" !!!!

Deep down..the well known collector would have to be Runscott! But maybe the guy meant "dealer" though by stating collector....he will not have to give up the names of anyone who is actually known or actually exists! O.K., O.K. It's Alan Rosen!!!!!

Old 07-28-2002, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jake Rose

Hi, my first time posting anything on this board. Ive bought items off ebay about 4 times in 2 years and I am truly a novice. This "Broadway Rick" ou guys are always referring to got me about 6 months ago on a 1959 willie mays. I am embarassed to say the amount, but I am also glad that someone is taking a stand against losers like this.

Old 07-28-2002, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

That check for $170,000 would be rejected because the guy wants $1,700,000 for the Buy Now, your scam wouldn't have worked. :-D

Lee

Old 07-28-2002, 12:20 PM
Administrator

You should form a "BWA" 7-step group.

Old 07-28-2002, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Texture of colors looks funny...

Old 07-28-2002, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The "dingus" is what Bogart called the Maltese Falcon (you know, the "stuff dreams are made of")

Old 07-28-2002, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

Ebay Item # 1846992957 "1909 T206 HONUS WAGNER GEM MINT 10"-going for only a first bid of $35,000.00 with a buy it now of only $99,750.00!

Old 07-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

forgot to mention that, as noted on the slab label itself, it's a version that was prepared for the 2000 Topps Fan Fest. I'm somewhat surprised they didn't try to sell it without a picture!

Old 07-28-2002, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

the guy is from Florida. Maybe it's our pal BRSZ

Jay

Old 07-28-2002, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Was the one on ebay a while back in which a guy's girlfriend found some tobacco cards under the seat of the used car they bought. T206 Wagner, Plank, Cobb etc. No Lords, Beckers or Klings. Just the highest priced cards.

By the way has anyone figured out the Ebay fee for running a reserve auction where the starting bid is $100,000.00?

Old 07-29-2002, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

...you've forgotten but one important and undeniably pertinent reality:

http://mirrors.meepzorp.com/ebay/time.machine/

You see, where there's one time machine, there have got to be several more. And what would disrupt the time-space continuum more than anything else? Deliberately changing it by hoarding all of the T206 Wagners. Why just think of it. All the famous collectors would be without their hobby centerpieces and the future would be inexorably changed -- probably for the worse. So what really happened? Well, having the proper appreciation for temporal mechanics, a dozen or so "investors" planned for the future. Quite simply put, they went back in time to HIDE a couple dozen copies of the world's most valuable baseball card. That's right, and their secret hiding places were not where one would typically look -- instead, they planted them in roll-top desks, under car seats, and in the linings of Mexican blankets. You see, these opportunists who list T206 Wagners on eBay are much more clever than we realize; for they didn't actually go back and CHANGE the past, they just made things more convenient for themselves in the future...much like a bone-burying dog.

Old 07-29-2002, 02:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

...were RIGHT!I myself had thought that the only sure-fire way of revisiting the past was a sharp, sudden blow slightly above the temple with a trusty ballpean hammer (the Robert Avila method of time travel), but this time machine offered on Ebay, clandestinately disguised as an innocent refrigerator, DOES strengthen your case sufficiently to warrant my supporting the logical theorey you've presented. There simply is, NO OTHER EXPLANATION. Now, it's no surprise to me that most of these Wagner cards find their way secreted into hope chests and trunks owned by the grandpa's and Uncle Jimmy's of the world, or hidden in picture and mirror frames!

Old 07-29-2002, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

..... forgot to log in!

Old 07-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Administrator

...just hang around in places where the people from the future are most likely to park them.

But seriously, the owner of the last one I tried to rip off ended up being pretty decent about it - I clued him in as to which fast food joints were the best, and in return he went back in time and made a deal with a printer to create an extra 2 million or so t206 Wagners, which he then distributed throughout time in various unlikely places. Unfortunately he couldn't remember where, so I didn't benefit.

Old 07-29-2002, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...are found each year by Estate sale executors, Roll-top desk salesmen, and postcard colector/dealers!! Over 99.98% of all the Wagners "found" thusfar come from these three sources alone. They NEVER seem to find as much as a common T206. Not even in as high a grade fit to use for wiping your butt but they sure do turn up those $100,000+ T206 Wagners with the regularity of Old-Faithful! I'm headed for Kentucky with an old roll top desk, some old postcard, and I'm gonna' see once and for all if there's some atmospheric anolomy there that allows Wagners to spontaneously generate given the proper materials and environment.