NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2016, 01:36 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Well I believe most ball players need a eye test . You know if you just seen Ozzie smiths stats you might say this guy sucked . But when you see him play that's not the case at all . So I've never seen anyone the players mentioned play.

I know a lot of people question Bill Mazeroski as do I . But the other two seem to be more on the Ozzie smith side of things. With being outstanding defensively.

I rather compare to players I've seen like a Don mattingly or a will Clark. But let's compare him to a Jeff Kent from age 28 .

Jeff Kent from 28 to 37 year old . 1611 hits /HR 277 /2B 383/ RBI 1049
Jackie Robinson 28 to 37 years old . 1518hits/ HR 137/2B 273 / RBI 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. The stats are the stats the played the same game and position.
The other reason those need to be adjusted is because the number of games in a season has changed.

Kent played 1452 games in those 10 seasons compared to J.Robinson only playing in 1382. Look at those same stats as percentage of JRobinson's and JKent's AB and this is what you get:

eff Kent from 28 to 37 year old . 29.46% hits /HR 4.85% /2B 7%/ 3B 0.59%/ RBI 19.18%
Jackie Robinson 28 to 37 years old . 31.13% hits /HR 2.81% /2B 5.60%/ 3B 1.11%/ RBI 15.05%

Of course since you cherry picked as pointed out by someone else you also have to account for the fact that Kent was more of a power hitter than JRobinson as shown by SLG%.

The fact is Kent was only top 10 in hits twice in that time range, total bases 2 times, stolen bases 0 times.
JRobinson was top 10 in hits 5 times, total bases 4 times, Stolen bases 9 times.

In Kent's time of playing he never led an offensive statistical category giving him a Black Ink of 0. JRobinson has a Black Ink of 8.

I do believe Kent would be a fine fit in the HOF if it happened, but just putting the era of play into perspective.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:45 PM
pariah1107

OP could have started this thread any other day, and it may have been a reasonable discussion. In poor taste to stir this pot on the day Jackie Robinson is to be honored throughout Major League Baseball. His impact on the game cannot be tabulated in a boxscore (though his are HOF worthy in many metrics), if you do not understand this than further debate is pointless.

Ty Phelan

Last edited by pariah1107; 04-16-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
This is bound to catch a lot of flack. And for the life of me I can't imagine why, though we live in PC America these days.
Translation: I'm going to stir the pot on the day of Jackie Robinson's commemoration and only the PC mental midgets would disagree with me. None of the disagreement to follow, therefore, will be my fault or legit and I will purposefully avoid responding intelligently to forthcoming evidence. My narrative about Jackie's induction is the right one, even though I will say I want open disagreement and argument. In fact I'll only respond with snide, not substantive, remarks.

Quote:
WHY is Jackie Robinson in the HOF? I may be mistaken but isn't an induction for a player based almost entirely on statistics?
Translation: I won't take into consideration the actually criteria for induction. My magic numbers are the criteria. I have an agenda here, afterall. Don't get in my way.

Quote:
Yes he endured a lot while playing. But that doesn't mean that he should be in the HOF over many other players with much better statistics.
Translation: Setting players in their historical and game era context is for suckers. Let's take out all those dead ball era bums! Actually they were white, so they must be okay. Let's just take out Jackie. I'm not PC like the rest of 'Merica. Understanding history is for PC wimps.

Quote:
His induction seems more like a charity induction to me. Just my opinion and wondering if there's anyone else that has at least questioned any of this.
Translation: Jackie's hall induction is affirmative action charity and I HATE THAT. Don't you hate what I hate? As I've already assumed, I'm right, so don't tell me I'm not.

RESPONSE: Bro, you could have just asked:
Why is Jackie in the hall? His numbers don't seem measure up to my HOF expectations?

That would be a good question and conversation starter. In fact, I had that conversation with a friend and historian two weeks ago. Yet, you injected all this other nonsense followed by more snide nonsense.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Al Richter

Default why

[QUOTEWHY is Jackie Robinson in the HOF? [/QUOTE]

Because in 1962 the people responsible for Hall Of Fame inductions voted him into it
Old 04-15-2016, 03:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
[QUOTEWHY is Jackie Robinson in the HOF?
Because in 1962 the people responsible for Hall Of Fame inductions voted him into it[/QUOTE]

Sorta circular reasoning there counselor.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Larry

Purely from the objective side of it, he created 162% of league average runs created during his career, the (Bill James) stat I believe is most valuable in comparing players between eras, which places him in the top 3-5 of all second basemen of all time, and rates in that category with a very good slugging first baseman or outfielder; is rated the fourth second baseman of all time by Bill James and 10th by baseball-reference.com, based on JAWS, which goes by career and 7-year peak wins above replacement; won an MVP (as well as a batting title, .342) in 1949, despite the presence of Stan Musial and an awesome season by Ralph Kiner (54 HR's, 127 RBI, .310 BA), and placed consistently highly in the MVP voting in other years; was a six-time all-star and had a .311 lifetime batting average, .409 career on-base-percentage, and .883 OPS (which again, would be quite good for a slugging first baseman or outfielder); scored 100 runs 6 times; and, with Babe Ruth, was the most important player in the history of the game, opening the door to such greats as Mays, Aaron and all other great players of color. And he did all that despite coming into the league at age 28, undoubtedly missing out on a few prime years of production.

Personally, I think he was also the most heroic player of all-time by far, bar none. These should qualify as pretty good reasons. The original poster's comments are some of the silliest I have ever seen--best to do your homework before inviting ridicule!

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-15-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Geordie Calvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
I haven't read this thread. Doing so would probably take a couple hours. I have a pretty good idea of what opinions are likely expressed, so I will offer my opinion without reading this thread.

I felt similar to the OP when I was in my 20's. Jackie Robinson is only in the HOF because he is the first black ballplayer. I thought that was ridiculous.

In the last 30 years I have learned a lot and completely changed my opinion. He put up huge HOF worthy numbers in the short period of time he was allowed to play. The intangibles like the way he must have gotten into a pitchers head any time he was on base are immeasurable. I can't imagine any other person would have been able to endure the stuff he had to put up with.

I have learned a lot about base ball history and life in the last 30 years. Jackie Robinson is number 3 on my short list of human beings I admire most. I suspect if the OP continues to be a student of the game's history, in 20 years or so he will rank Jackie Robinson as a top-tier HOFer.
Great post, David. I've done quite a bit of growing up in the past 30 years myself. A great many beliefs I thought were valid then seem pretty silly now.

As I type, I'm listening to a great monologue by Bomani Jones on ESPN. He's hitting many of the same points already brought up here, including how tough it was in his own clubhouse.

OP, did you happen to catch the 2-part documentary that just showed on PBS? If not, do yourself a favor and check it out. I think it might be enlightening. It certainly was to me.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:27 PM

I can't wait until Dec. 30, Sandy Koufax's birthday, when the OP will argue that Sandy doesn't meet the 300 wins criteria.

As far as I can tell, the cultural significance and statistical arguments have been made. I learned about the Hall of Stats in this thread. Very cool.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I can't wait until Dec. 30, Sandy Koufax's birthday, when the OP will argue that Sandy doesn't meet the 300 wins criteria.

As far as I can tell, the cultural significance and statistical arguments have been made. I learned about the Hall of Stats in this thread. Very cool.
I believe he was elected as a token Jew.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:00 PM
Eric Perry

If nothing else, the OP was rather successful at trolling the board today.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:19 PM

Not sure if anyone wants to tackle this one, but....

If Jackie still had the same career (length and numbers), but was NOT the one who broke the color barrier, would he still belong in the HOF? Would he have been voted in?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNP777 View Post
Like others, I appreciate any discussion and debate.

Saying that, I'm somewhat dismayed that this particular thing is even debatable. Many, many excellent points have been made in support of Jackie's inclusion in the HOF.

* couldn't play until he was 28. That puts a guy like Bryce Harper 10 years ahead of him in compiling stats (yeah, Harper's an OF - just picked a name out of the air). If the OP wants to argue against inclusion based on stats, this single fact alone trumps his argument. Take the first 8-10 years away from any HOFer's career and see what his stats look like.
* hatred/taunts/death threats from damn near everyone around him, including the guys in his own dugout (maybe minus the death threats from teammates).
* opposing players openly trying to injure him
* had the temperament to deal with the above for two years before he was allowed to stand up for himself. Remained a man of character and restraint despite the intense opposition.
* hugely important in the Civil Rights movement.

+ 1 billion
This thread is nuts.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 PM
And.rew C0rs0

If I had woken up with my head stapled to the carpet I would not be more surprised than I am right now. I never would have fathomed that there was even a debate about Jackie Robinson's worthiness for the Hall of Fame.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post

If Jackie still had the same career (length and numbers), but was NOT the one who broke the color barrier, would he still belong in the HOF? Would he have been voted in?
But he WAS the one. You can ask all sort of ifs and buts about anyone in the HOF, "but" they did what they did and were what they were. "If" Jackie Robinson hadn't broken the color barrier, would Mays and Aaron have done what they did? Don't know, doesn't matter. He did break the color barrier and he did pave the way for Mays, Aaron, and everyone else. That's not to forget Doby, Irvin, and several other players who also played a critical role.

I have to say that the very fact that this thread exists, particularly on this day, makes me sad. Some people really just don't get it at all.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

There have been numerous posts in this thread justifying his election purely on the numbers.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Phil Garry

WOW, 114 replies the same day a thread was started, a new record? Guess that tells you how strongly people feel about this subject....
Old 04-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
But he WAS the one. You can ask all sort of ifs and buts about anyone in the HOF, "but" they did what they did and were what they were. "If" Jackie Robinson hadn't broken the color barrier, would Mays and Aaron have done what they did? Don't know, doesn't matter. He did break the color barrier and he did pave the way for Mays, Aaron, and everyone else. That's not to forget Doby, Irvin, and several other players who also played a critical role.

I have to say that the very fact that this thread exists, particularly on this day, makes me sad. Some people really just don't get it at all.
If Cecil Travis....
Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If Cecil Travis....
As much as I am a Cecil Travis fan, I think we would both have to agree that Jackie Robinson far transcended Cecil Travis on every level. All things considered, I would argue that he pretty much far transcended nearly everyone.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
As much as I am a Cecil Travis fan, I think we would both have to agree that Jackie Robinson far transcended Cecil Travis on every level. All things considered, I would argue that he pretty much far transcended nearly everyone.
My point was just to kiddingly remind you that you were willing to indulge in what ifs to justify Cecil Travis as a HOFer. Yes, Robinson is unquestionably in the very top echelon.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:14 PM
John Mavroudis

Quote:
Originally Posted by celoknob View Post
Why does the OP continue to argue that induction is only based on statistics when he has quoted the rules that state integrity, sportsmanship and character are all considerations? With all that, even if you are going to only consider stats how could you not consider the years he lost because he was not even allowed on the field. And then to call this PC? Yes, that will inflame people and it should.

If anything his induction to the HOF in 1962 was anti-PC. Ever heard of Selma, Freedom Rides, Birmingham bombings, Bull Conner, ravaging dogs and fire hoses, segregation, lynching. A black man could not even stay in most hotels or eat in a restaurant, get a taxi, a decent job etc. etc. Most of these things were still going on or were still in the future in 1962. JR was a hero and first rate HOFer for overcoming these overwhelming obstacles, not to mention still a great player.

His integrity, sportsmanship and character are second to none in the HOF and the Hall would be a joke if he was not there. And yes, I think it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise unless you simply have not learned anything about race in America, especially up through the 1960s and can then dismiss these powerful events as "PC".
+1

This Giants' fan thinks that Jackie Robinson was one of the two most important people in baseball history... Babe and Jackie. Do I think others were better? Sure. I'd take Willie Mays above anybody. But before Jackie, people like Josh Gibson (who would have been a lock to be a star player) were banished from the game. Jackie not only broke the barrier, but did it in a way to allow others to follow in his wake. He performed at a high level for his shortened career.

For these reason alone, it's a (forgive the cross-sport reference) slam dunk.

...and the reason there's more than the regular dose of passion, is that "pc" is often a code word for those that discriminate. I'm certainly not accusing the OP of that, but he should be aware that it's used often in more than an innocent context.

www.zenpop.com

Last edited by ZenPop; 04-15-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
WOW, 114 replies the same day a thread was started, a new record? Guess that tells you how strongly people feel about this subject....
The night is still young, but the 'Mastro list revealed' thread had 229 posts in the same day is was started.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Richard Simon

Jackie had a .609 winning percentage in games he started.
4th highest of post war players.
He made his teams much better and he was a winner.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
My point was just to kiddingly remind you that you were willing to indulge in what ifs to justify Cecil Travis as a HOFer. Yes, Robinson is unquestionably in the very top echelon.
Not exactly, although that sometimes matters IMO. It simply doesn't with Robinson because he did the "what if" that was asked about. The question about "what if" he hadn't broken the color barrier is therefore completely irrelevant. "What if" Robinson or Ruth hadn't been born? I don't suppose they'd be in the HOF. So what?

I don't want to resurrect the Cecil Travis debate in this thread. I will simply say that you and I have a different perception about how the HOF should go about doing its job and who should be honored. That's fine. We will simply have to agree to disagree, as we have for years.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:

We have been doing that for 11 pages.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:05 PM
je.sse @rnot

This debate makes about as much sense as the guy on the post war board who's trying to argue that Hank Aaron is over rated. Jackie Robinson earned his spot in the hall of fame. Even if you discount his breaking the color barrier and what he did for the game in that regard, his numbers were good enough during the time he was allowed to play.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:10 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
A couple of guys named Collins and Lajoie were pretty good at that position too.
In context of their time, I would still take Jackie.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Guy Bourque

Here's a stat , From 1913 to 1957 Brooklyn made it to the world series 9 times, Jackie was on 6 of those teams.

"Give me five players like (Jackie) Robinson and a pitcher and I'll beat any nine-man team in baseball." - Manager Charlie Dressen
Old 04-15-2016, 07:17 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I think Jackie is actually underrated as a great American and civil rights leader. I think he was much greater than someone like Ali in that he brought the nation together instead of drawing dividing lines. All that said, I'm a white guy who grew up in a white community and I don't know that I have a fair perception of how and African American might feel.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:34 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Kenny, I respectfully disagree. Today is the PERFECT day for this thread. Many casual fans tuning in to a baseball game tonight might not understand why every player has #42 on their jersey. When they find out it is Jackie Robinson day, and that was his number, some may have preconceived notions that the only reason JR is in the HOF is because of race and not because his statistics alone merit consideration. Sure, he was good enough for the Major Leagues, but was he HOF worthy?

I think this thread helped many understand that YES, even if JR was born white, studied astronomy for the first 28 years of his life before succumbing to his true calling of playing professional baseball, and put up the stats that JR did, he would STILL make the HOF. The fact that JR put up those HOF-worthy stats in a openly hostile environment, makes it all the more impressive.

Its the perfect day for this thread!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post

Based on his lack of knowledge in baseball history and ability to read stats or do any research, I am sure he doesn't know any player's birthday or how to look it up.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Based on his lack of knowledge in baseball history and ability to read stats or do any research, I am sure he doesn't know any player's birthday or how to look it up.
Since when do we slam a guy CONTINUOUSLY for generating conversation on an open forum based on his opinion.

Just let it be; he has his thoughts you have yours, surely 13 pages has shown that. No need for continued comments like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Roberto Clemente is in the same boat regarding this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Kenny, I respectfully disagree. Today is the PERFECT day for this thread. Many casual fans tuning in to a baseball game tonight might not understand why every player has #42 on their jersey. When they find out it is Jackie Robinson day, and that was his number, some may have preconceived notions that the only reason JR is in the HOF is because of race and not because his statistics alone merit consideration. Sure, he was good enough for the Major Leagues, but was he HOF worthy?

I think this thread helped many understand that YES, even if JR was born white, studied astronomy for the first 28 years of his life before succumbing to his true calling of playing professional baseball, and put up the stats that JR did, he would STILL make the HOF. The fact that JR put up those HOF-worthy stats in a openly hostile environment, makes it all the more impressive.

Best thing I've read in forever.
Thank you.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Ruben

Beautifully written Rob
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
We have been doing that for 11 pages.
Hey, you are right. I must've missed it when I skimmed through.

*slowly backs out of the room*
Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post

Not really. We all know he hit had 3000 hits, plus 317 BA, and a load of other honors...no real debate.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 PM

Candy Cummings is in the Hall of Fame because he might have invented the curve

Ross Youngs and Addie Joss are in the Hall of Fame because they died young and it was sad

Tinkers and Evers and Chance are in the Hall of Fame because their names sounded good in a poem

Don Drysdale is in the Hall of Fame because he was handsome and played near Hollywood

Jackie Robsinson is in the Hall of Fame because he was a great player for nearly ten years, brought speed and base stealing back into the game, played high quality defense at 4 positions AND he helped to end the game's greatest injustice

Last edited by Jason19th; 04-15-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Addie Joss was truly great. Otherwise I agree.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

What???? There are some dumb people on this board....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-15-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Joe

Quote:

Some very fair points, however the question could have been raised in a more sensitive manner. I find it unconscionable to question the worthiness of Robinson for the HOF, but I am not bothered by the thread or discussion. It did highlight for me how great a ballplayer he was, so in that regard served a positive purpose, even if that may not have been the OPs pretext behind raising the question.

The OP is entitled to an opinion, but what bothered me was the tone in which the question was raised and provactive choice of words, especially the statement..'for the life of me I can't imagine why'.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:00 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
Candy Cummings is in the Hall of Fame because he might have invented the curve

Ross Youngs and Addie Joss are in the Hall of Fame because they died young and it was sad

Tinkers and Evers and Chance are in the Hall of Fame because their names sounded good in a poem

Don Drysdale is in the Hall of Fame because he was handsome and played near Hollywood

Jackie Robsinson is in the Hall of Fame because he was a great player for nearly ten years, brought speed and base stealing back into the game, played high quality defense at 4 positions AND he helped to end the game's greatest injustice
Sorry.... Don't get it. Addie Joss was one of the best pitchers ever......So whats your take on Koufax????

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-16-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkray25 View Post
Since when do we slam a guy CONTINUOUSLY for generating conversation on an open forum based on his opinion.

Just let it be; he has his thoughts you have yours, surely 13 pages has shown that. No need for continued comments like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
I'm sure Josh and Dustin, who seemingly defended the viewpoint, are great guys, but you cannot walk into a forum full of passionate baseball fans with such an ill-conceived argument and not expect to be the nail. The opposing viewpoint is very clear: Jackie wasn't Babe F'n Ruth. Yet, after plenty of evidence that backed up his induction not only by the monumental importance of his accomplishments, but also by his statistical achievements they continually circled the path of the debate and his merits to the color of his skin. The statement in the opening post: "His induction seems like a charity case to me" is horrific and an insult to not only the thousands of minority ballplayers who followed him at all levels of professional baseball, but also to the thousands before him who were never graced the privilege of staking a major league diamond because of something as pathetically trivial as the color of their skin. I would pray that the family of the man being debated here would never suffer the indignity of hearing him labeled a "charity case" being as he earned more on one April day in 1947 than any of us will earn in a lifetime. No, today is not the day to "debate" him. The point of this day is to educate people about the importance of his life and others through celebrating him. A debate of his merits is embarrassing to witness. If it takes hammering someone to make this evident, I'm for it. I won't hold this debate against anyone foolish enough to consider Jackie Robinson unworthy of any praise he has ever been bestowed, but I will also applaud anyone who will fight against him being marginalized in any way.

Steven Finley

Last edited by sbfinley; 04-16-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:13 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

This might be the dumbest post I have ever read. Clemente? Really??
Old 04-15-2016, 10:21 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Addie Joss quick stats... 160-95 W-L record, 45 shutouts, career ERA 1.89....Yeah, he's overrated
Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I'm sure Josh and Dustin, who seemingly defended the viewpoint, are great guys, but you cannot walk into a forum full of passionate baseball fans with such an ill-conceived argument and not expect to be the nail. The opposing viewpoint is very clear: Jackie wasn't Babe F'n Ruth. Yet, after plenty of evidence that backed up his induction not only by the monumental importance of his accomplishments, but also by his statistical achievements they continual circled the path of the debate and his merits to the color of his skin. The statement in the opening post: "His induction seems like a charity case to me" is horrific and an insult to not only the thousands of minority ballplayers who followed him at all levels of professional baseball, but also the thousands before him who were never graced the privilege of staking a major league diamond because of something as pathetically trivial as the color of there skin. I would pray that the family of the man being debated here would never suffer the indignity of hearing him labeled a "charity case" being as he earned more on one April in 1947 than any of use will earn in a lifetime. No, today is not the day to "debate" him. The point of this day is to educate people about the importance of his life and others through celebrating him. A debate of his merits is embarrassing to witness. If it takes hammering someone to make this evident, I'm for it. I won't hold this debate against anyone foolish enough to consider Jackie Robinson unworthy of any praise he has ever been bestowed, but I will also applaud anyone who will fight against him being marginalized in any way.

Steven Finley

+1

Well said Steven! I hesitated contributing to this thread at all, since the very thought of debating the merit of Jackie Robinson's enshrinement so repulsed me.

However, your statements along with many others make clear the high esteem we all hold him in.

In starting this thread, the 'author' ignited a fire of support that might otherwise not have shown up to the degree it has. However, his very thought of questioning Jackie Robinson certainly deserves no praise even if he thinks he's a braver person for having done so.

It's not about political correctness ; it's about respect...and He most certainly earned that! - more than any other athlete I can think of.

Sometimes it is just better to keep such thoughts to yourself.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-15-2016, 10:34 PM
J3ff Thr0m

I didn't read through this thread so I'll just say Ozzie Smith and Bill Mazeroski.

Intangibles and great gloves, stats be damned.

JR had good stats, but doing what he did and the inspiration he has been makes him HOF material in my mind.

Well deserved and beyond worthy.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:

Rob, OK. I think we are on the same page, although we have perhaps approached it from different directions. If I understand things correctly, which is always problematic, your perspective is that the stats alone justify his induction, irrespective of all of his myriad other contributions which, simply to save a paragraph, I won't go into. If that is your position, we have no disagreement. If your argument is that Jackie Robinson day is the perfect day to educate people about the importance of Jackie Robinson to society as a whole, irrespective of his stats, which are HOF worthy without any other extraneous criteria. I am 100% with you. If I have misapprehended what you meant to say, please advise so that we can discuss further. Thanks and best,

Kenny
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Jackie Robinson belongs in the Halll over any closer....closers pitched far less innings percentage wise than Starting pitchers than Jackie robinson played innings wise versus the longer careers of players with 'hof' magic numbers like 3000 hits...plus any HOF SP could of been a great closer...i think bob gibson or sandy koufax could of closed games pretty easily.......but closers being starting pitchers...thats a lot harder..in fact there are closers that are 'failed' starting pitchers who then became closers.

Jackie should be in the hall regardless...but if we are playing this game...get rid of the closers before bringing up the subject..
Old 04-15-2016, 11:10 PM

Thanks, Steven. Nailed it.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:30 PM
qu@n nguy3n

I shouldve listened to rob d and blocked op from the start...oh well better late than never.