NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default T206TheMonster.com

I hesitate to post this, as the timing makes it look 'competitive', but I assure you it is not; in fact, I am going out of my way to make sure that it is simply an expansion of my previous project - esoteric, creative, historical, with few (if any) stats. I will also be adding pages that focus on the overall history of the set, such as the booklet that Jerry provided (and that he has generously sent me scans for and given his approval of including on the website).

Part of what inspired me to get back into the hobby (other than getting over being broke for 7 years), was a career change with a focus on writing and creativity. I've written a couple of baseball history articles over the last few months, and had already updated my site to get rid of bugs - cards were simply a natural expansion of that. But I will admit that Tim's new site emphasized to me that I was just sitting on my butt with regards to moving forward on the old 'T206 Origins' project, so I've taken the first step: http://t206themonster.com/

So far you won't notice much other than a big change in formatting. However, the goal is to slowly build pages for every single card in the set, with hobbyists (board members) taking ownership of individual cards and either maintaining a page on their own server, or sending me information to update the page for them on my server. The key thing is that anyone who wants to get involved can be as creative as they want in researching the origins of a particular card - it's original photo, esoteric aspects (such as what I described with the dark cap Matty, the dove in the Ritchie background, the Abbaticchio partial 'G', etc., etc.). I will initially take on several of the cards myself, but please feel free to take them from me if you have interest. I look at this like a big painting with a lot of painters.

I did talk with Jim about possibly maintaining such a project on his site, subject to his template requirements, rules, etc....but unfortunately nothing came of it, for reasons that have already been beaten to death. His site is great, it's different, it's huge and wonderful. This is completely different. I will continue to visit his site often, enjoying the plethora of stats, which I am very in to.

Thanks and send an email or PM if you would like to 'own' a card(s) - only a few are taken so far and the ideas I've heard are great.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-07-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Scott

An absolutely top drawer site.
I'm eager to be a part of it with my Conlon Lee Tannehill which matches exactly the T206 Tannehill (no L) and perhaps an article.
congratulations!
all the best,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 01-07-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: more precision
Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Jason Wells

Nice Site Scott.I really enjoyed the black and white photo's that the T206's were taken from.Great work.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks, guys. This time around I'll wait for the right photos - no Ramly images, but possibly Spalding or Reach Guide photos if they are interesting enough.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
J@son M1ller

Good for you, Scott. You have a passion and you've started a site to further expand on that passion and share it with others. I don't think anyone could have a problem with this. Even if it is competition (which I don't think it is), there's still nothing wrong with it. Often the biggest breakthroughs and forward momentum are brought about through competition.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:49 PM

Cool site and a great idea!

This is what the internet is for -- sharing information.

You can never have too many sites on a given subject, especially if we're talking about baseball cards. I'll be checking in periodically to look for additions.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Cool site and a great idea!

This is what the internet is for -- sharing information.

You can never have too many sites on a given subject, especially if we're talking about baseball cards. I'll be checking in periodically to look for additions.
Thanks Chuck. There is also a really cool T206 'Print Errors' site on the way - not mine, but I hope to contribute.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

http://t206themonster.com/

......However, the goal is to slowly build pages for every single card in the set, with hobbyists (board members) taking ownership of individual cards and either maintaining a page on their own server, or sending me information to update the page for them on my server. The key thing is that anyone who wants to get involved can be as creative as they want in researching the origins of a particular card......

Great start for this new T206 site. And, kudos to you for wanting everyone on this forum to contribute (instead of this being limited to a "closed group" of crony's).
For the past 10+ years, the free exchange of ideas from ALL the members on Net54 has made this forum the great marketplace of BB card info that it has become.

Best regards, and good luck with this new adventure.

P.S.....I have quite a number of T206 player inputs that you will find interesting; and, I will contact you regarding them before I post them here.

TED Z

a.k.a ...... T-Rex TED
Old 01-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default good luck Scott

Scott- Good luck with the project. From what I have seen it is a very well done site. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun too. Congratulations.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
(instead of this being limited to a "closed group" of crony's).
Funny Ted when you were a member of the "closed group of cronies" you never seem to have an issue with the way things were shared amongst the group.

Even more humorous for a guy who has always claimed conspiracy’s and accused others of deliberately mudslinging against your good name anytime they disagree with you. Ted you sure seem to be spending a lot of time lighting up, taking shots and belittling Jim & Tim’s efforts publicly in regards to their website.

A website for the record which is free to the public, a website that lists people who they feel were instrumental in helping them. Finally a website that isn’t a front for fraud such as Chan’s site which BTW I don’t remember you up in arms over that site posting robbed info.

So as usual it’s ok for you beat on others as long as they don’t hold you to task. Oh well nothing new, well I guess now’s a good a time as any to email Leon and tell him how evil I am perhaps Wakefield will hop in and ask for my blood type to be next to my post. Ted time to add some sugar to this "whine" because these are some very sour grapes.

BTW while I have your attention love to see your new Magie card, or did you just sell it?

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-07-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:37 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Scott, very nice site I think it looks nice and will be a fun project let me know if I can help.

Cheers,

John
Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Scott, very nice site I think it looks nice and will be a fun project let me know if I can help.

Cheers,

John
Thanks John - very much appreciated. So far I have ZERO pages set up as envisioned, so there is a lot of work to do. When my job ends in April I will have literally all day to work on baseball-related activities such as this, so that's when I expect this to take off. Believe me - I have tons of ideas.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Best of luck with the project, Scott.

It sounds like it could very informative and lots of fun.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Thanks John - very much appreciated. So far I have ZERO pages set up as envisioned, so there is a lot of work to do. When my job ends in April I will have literally all day to work on baseball-related activities such as this, so that's when I expect this to take off. Believe me - I have tons of ideas.
Scott, sounds cool! Know the feeling only so many hours in the day.....

Cheers,

John
Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 AM

Default t206

Scott,

Good luck with site!!

well organized....i checked out your cards for sale....kinda broke lately, but good to window shop!!if u come across any beater ab 460 350 no frame sov 460 or piedy 42, lmk....put em aside!!might take a while before i take care of some billz...

Johnny D- Dots Miller!!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Simon Nicholls story

a

[linked image]

Simon Nicholls was a very devoted family man, who so loved his Maryland farm, that when Connie Mack scouted him from the Maryland
Agricultural College (now Univ. of Maryland), Simon would commute to Philadelphia from his farm. Simon was one of the first graduates
from this College. And, Connie Mack preferred to have College guys on his A's team. Nicholls' life story is the "stuff" that used to inspire
some great true life Hollywood BB movies.

Connie Mack acquired Nicholls at the end of the 1906 season. Simon was an average hitter, but an excellent shortstop. One of Nicholls'
best days at bat was on Opening Day of Shibe Park on April 12, 1909. He got a Double, 2 Singles, and a Walk. He scored 4 Runs to win
the 1st game at the A's new Stadium....in front of an unprecedented 35,000 fans.

December 1, 1909, Connie Mack traded Nicholls to Cleveland. This trade hurt Nicholls, since it took him away from his family and farm.
So, after 3 games with Cleveland, Nicholls retired. That season he connected with Jack Dunn, Manager of Baltimore (Eastern League),
who was impressed with Nicholls' play and made him field captain in 1911. Unfortunately, Nicholls contracted typhoid fever and died at
the young age of 28 on Mar 12, 1911.

Nicholls 350 Series T206 card (with bat pose) was actually intended by American Lithographic as a 350/460 series subject. Proof of this
is found in the SOVEREIGN "350/460" group of 66 subjects. Furthermore, his card was printed with an American Beauty 350 (No Frame)
back. However, this card of Nicholls was not printed with any 460 series backs. I'm sure this was due to his Major League career ending
in early 1910 (prior to the printing of any of the 460 series backs).

TED Z

a.k.a......T-Rex TED
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Ted,

I'll probably get the page created tonight or sometime tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Ted, Nicholls has been added. If you want to change anything (add pics, modify text), just send me an email.

Also, your Plank info is great - could you organize that and send in a format like you would like it to appear? Same for Powers.

Thanks

Last edited by Runscott; 01-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Ted, Nicholls has been added. If you want to change anything (add pics, modify text), just send me an email.

Also, your Plank info is great - could you organize that and send in a format like you would like it to appear? Same for Powers.

Thanks
edited to add: just re-did the Bender page - if anyone can explain the order of release, it would be greatly appreciated. In my mind, 'trees' came first and was replaced with 'no trees', but I'm probably wrong, as the artwork upgrade makes that seem illogical.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Craig Wright

Default Nicholls Question

Hi Ted

Always enjoy reading bio's and looking up stats. Baseball Reference shows he played two games (3 for 8, but committed 4 errors!) for Detroit in 1903. I'm curious as to what's the story behind this first visit to the Majors?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ichosi01.shtml

Best Regards,
Craig
Old 01-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Borders View Post
Hi Ted

Always enjoy reading bio's and looking up stats. Baseball Reference shows he played two games (3 for 8, but committed 4 errors!) for Detroit in 1903. I'm curious as to what's the story behind this first visit to the Majors?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ichosi01.shtml

Best Regards,
Craig
He was a star college player in the Washington area and when the Tigers came to play the Senators in late September and they were short on players, they signed Nicholls for the day. When he made all those errors plus a baserunning gaffe they decided he wasn't ready yet.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

I just added a Chief Bender page, as well as a Bill Dahlen page.

I mention this, because those pages are representative of what I had in mind for this site....but if you would like to do a page (or multiple), you are welcome to be as creative as you would like. The page for a card does NOT have to be a photo origins thing. I'm personally more interested in stuff that relates directly to the card itself, but andecdotes about the player also add a lot.