NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Mike Schulze

Default O/T: Some concerns about storing cards in a safes...

I've scoured a few past threads and can't find any answers.... please help with some insight and/or opinions.

I just purchased a safe (24 rifle capacity + 2 shelves, fire & water proof) and I was contemplating on storing a few coins and cards inside. I have moved the safe to my workshop where there is no temperature control. Since I live here in central TX and we're on a hot streak with +100 degree days, should I be concerned about high temperatures within the safe ruining the cards? Most of the cards are are not valuable but strictly sentimental; however, I have a few older T206s (raw) I would like to store as well. Any concerns? Thanks, Mike
Old 08-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Kevin Gibson

I think the bigger problem in storing paper/cards is humidity levels since they will be confined in an airtight space. You can purchase specially designed reusable pellets that remove the moisture from the safe. When it turns a certain color you can then heat them in the oven to dry them out so they can be used again. These can be purchased from gun shops where safes are sold.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Yup! Humidity is the biggest danger..

Outside of theft, humidity is the biggest danger to cards. Although all normal matter particles are radiating away, the immediate threat is humidity. Also cool is better than hot to fight deterioration. The silica packs are excellent to eliminate excess humidity.
About 10 years ago I bought a childhood collection that had been stored in a "grain silo"? Cool and Dry.......The cards were absolutely pack fresh after almost 50 years. They were in shoeboxes in an open steel drum. A mouse had fallen in and it was actually mummified.
If you check on some paper conservation sites, other tips might be out there. Good question. David. ps Just an afterthought....If a TPG company has air tight slabs that would take care of the humidity concern, yes?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Mike Schulze

Good points! Thanks guys.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Outside of theft, humidity is the biggest danger to cards. Although all normal matter particles are radiating away, the immediate threat is humidity. Also cool is better than hot to fight deterioration. The silica packs are excellent to eliminate excess humidity.
About 10 years ago I bought a childhood collection that had been stored in a "grain silo"? Cool and Dry.......The cards were absolutely pack fresh after almost 50 years. They were in shoeboxes in an open steel drum. A mouse had fallen in and it was actually mummified.
If you check on some paper conservation sites, other tips might be out there. Good question. David. ps Just an afterthought....If a TPG company has air tight slabs that would take care of the humidity concern, yes?
Airtight slabs would take care of humidity as long as the air was removed. Otherwise the ambient humidity could condense at lower temperatures. Then there's the outgasing of acidic papers.... Vented slabs are better.

I think the stated best environment for paper and most other things is 50F, 50% humidity. Library of congress has a good section online about archival storage of nearly anything. That being said, there are many examples out there of stuff surviving very well in storage that archivists would cringe over. A group of Edison films was discovered in Texas, Nitrate film from the 1890's that was stored in the closet of an un airconditioned house. Some of the ones found are the best kown surviving examples.

Heat would be bad for the acidic cards long term, I think T206s would be fine, but strip cards probably wouldn't.

I'd love to see the a TPG slab a few types of cards along with a test strip to see if the acidity builds up over time.

Steve B
Old 08-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Scott S

Along a similar note, would there be humidity concerns if cards (whether slabbed or not) are stored in a safe deposit box?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Mike Schulze

Scott,

My old man has had about 200 cards in the safe deposit box now for about 30years with no problems. They are stored in those soft, plastic, sheet protectors that hold 9 cards per sheet... nothing fancy.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Yes, I would think the banks are climate controlled, so humidity wouldn't be a problem in a safe deposit box.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Safes

This is a link to a thread last year, not sure if it helps you guys or not:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=Safes
Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Mike Schulze

Ralph, thanks for the link. I think I'm going to place a thermometer in my safe and check it during the hottest part of the day to see what the actual temp is inside. The high here yesterday was 106 and there was an obvious change in the temp when I opened the safe around 6 pm.

I don't know what the prolonged temperature has to be to start damaging cards, paper documents, etc. but I need to do some additional research before I find out the hard way. Thanks guys for your input thus far. -Mike
Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. T206s are a hundred years old and survived even when faced with the hands of children.