NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default Kevin Saucier - Adding Value

Posted By: JimCrandell

Dave,

You're right but I want to do more.

I stick with my original comments.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Kevin,

Keep us informed about your business plans. Good luck.

Peter C.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

dah, found it in your post Jim. Ignore my email, thanks Dan.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Kevin,

The introduction on your front page was well-written. But don't you think you may upset some of the grading companies? To say that up to 15% of the vintage cards were inaccurately graded by them, is basically saying that they did a sloppy job 15% of the time.

Peter C.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Peter C.,

If you've yet to notice...Jim Crandell is keeping us completely informed of Kevin's affairs. At this point we pretty much know everything except what shampoo Kevin uses. But I'm sure Jim will chime in with that too sooner or later.

Dave

Old 11-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: GoSoxBoSox

Naaa Peter C.,

Don't stop them. They got it all figured out. Thank God we can all sleep easy tonight knowing the hobby is changed forever.

FINALLY!!! What a landmark day!!!! If we only had 10 more Jim's to go with the 10 Kevin's we'd be able to stop illegal drugs in baseball too!!

Hip hip hooorayyyy!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

If it is only 15% that are not graded accurately that still means they are right 85 times out of 100. As a baseball player you could make a pretty good living however as a brain surgeon you might not do so well.

I am wondering what the sample size is. I might even say the number is higher than 15% considering all grading companies. SGC certainly would tilt the scale to a much lower percentage whereas some of the other companies might not do so well.

If I go look through some of the photos of cards from some of the top PSA registered sets, I would not be comfortable taking a card out of many of those holders and expect it to grade anything more than AUTHENTIC. Granted that is based on a photo of a card inside of the holder but I would not want to own those cards. Would rather have the EX and lower material in my collection. There are some mighty small cards that appear to not have a single 90 degree angle corner. Optical illusion??

Greg

Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Dave,

Head & Shoulders

Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

he may know more than an SGC grader--he may know less--not sure.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Being on a par with the top graders at PSA and SGC would be pretty good in my book.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

According to your quote on his site, Kevin is top 3 in the world. Are the other 2 split evenly between PSA and SGC?

Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Really Jim? Being on Par with Top PSA and SGC is okay with you?

Would Kevin's opinion just be redundant than?

At least PSA and SGC back up their opinions with a financial guarantee. Where's Kevin's guarantee? Without it you might as well pay my 3 year old for his opinion. Afterall, his opinion and Kevin's opinion will protect your investment for the same amount. Zero.

I'm not ripping Kevin as much as I'm saying he needs that guarantee to be taken seriously. Many have said that on this thread.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator

My favorite is the Baker testimonial:

Mike Baker - Global Authentication Inc. (GAI), considered by many to be one of the world's best graders, having authenticated 48 of the top 50 most valuable cards in the hobby:

"Kevin is a true expert in card alterting and identifing doctored cards. His alterations are some the best I have ever seen and amaze me each time. He is always developing new skills and techniques that were previously unheard of. His willingness to share this type of information is rare and a benefit to the hobby. One can never know enough and what I have learned and continue to learn from Kevin has sharpened my skills as an authenticator which is then passed on to my clients."

Oh yeah. I want to hire GAI now.

That quote is bad for business. It's bad for the grading industry.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: eeyour smith

Actually it is important who you are as you won't be posting in this thread anonymously...go find another board where it's allowed or put your name by your post...nothing personal (moderator)

Old 11-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Actually, it is important who you are because you can't post anonymously on this kind of thread. There are board rules.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Don't know about any of you but if I were a collector I would prefer to know that Kevin was putting forth great effort at making a living with his endeavor and ability to alter cards so well by educating the public or grading companies. By his own admission he does not feel his site is going to generate much revenue beyond paying for his gas. Is he just being modest? Sorry to be skeptical but if you are so good at counting cards in Black Jack do you stay away from the table and work 9 to 5 for $35K a year, for example?

Greg

Old 11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Davis

The people who read this board are privy to the beginnings of Kevin's venture. An outsider reading it now, or a year from now, could infer that Kevin has looked at all of Jim's cards.

I think it would remove all doubt if Kevin indicated on his web site that none of Jim's 25,000 cards have been inspected by him.

This referes to the quote from Jim on Kevin's web site - edited to add this line.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

Don't know where to start other than to say Jim C is out to destroy our hobby whether intentional or not. I could go on and on...15%?...who threw that # out of their a--? I doubt the # is even close to 15%, and out of that # most of these alterations would be trimmed cards. So how in the heck can you detect a trimmed card inside of a slab? Apply some common sense here folks...yes, there are some alterations, but altering an already expensive card can be a risky venture. Trimming a card is more safer from an economical point of view (cheater's viewpoint). I only have a few high dollar cards but I would never even consider sending one of my slabs for this type of service. Gen Patton had a saying..."never pay for the same real estate twice."

MW's comment about a financial guarantee is spot on, but it's a moot point anyway as the whole concept doesn't make sense.

Kevin: if you want my recommendation, apply for a job as a card grader with PSA or SGC for 6 months or so. Learn more about your craft from a grader's point of view...you have as much to learn from them as they from you. After you develop your expertise even further, consider starting your own grading company. Even if it is small at first and it's part time. Nothing wrong with another reputable grading company...hell, it can even be a high end company if you wish for high $$$ cards...This type of service I would consider. I wish you the best. I think you are associating yourself with others who couldn't care less about you and only have their self-serving interests at heart.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Kevin, Peter C's point is well taken. It would be scary if you angered the grading companies. Perhaps a couple of smiley faces on your home page will soothe them.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

After all this, I'm ready for a Peter Chao thread discussing his observations on the breeding habits of snowmen.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Man...you guys keep giving me all these great ideas for threads.

Peter C.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Paul,

Peter does not know anything about breeding, does he?

Greg

Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

simply explained paul, it's called getting a piece of Ice.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

You guys are really asking for it now! It will be a barrage of smiley faced snowmen for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Yeah come to think of it. I have not seen so many smiley faces since Hal was posting. Maybe there is a connection between being a lawyer and the use of smiley faces. Jeff L or Peter S...Would you please care to explain?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Hmmmmmm

Of course, snowomen are frigid, so why are the males smiling?

I shall await Peter C's imput on the matter. If anyone can solve this mystery, it's him.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Paul,
your right ask peter to go on this important mission! To OZ!! To OZ!! Were off to see the wizzard.........

Old 11-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pas

Hey Greg.
Who knows?
Maybe we are all emulating Hal.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I wish my bank account would emulate Hal's bank account!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

"Any idiot can see they are trimmed. Can you tell they are trimmed?"

Some, not all. Don't call me an idiot.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: eeyour smith

Leon,
My name is posted ....admired your board due to the freedom of speech,knowledge, and how you dont sweep issues under the rug.
Eeyour

Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

IMHO Let's get back to talking about cards. On the Non-Sports side we a have a "TAKE A PENNY, LEAVE A PENNY" box circulating. Just pure trading for the fun of collecting. That's what this hobby should be.
Some how $$$$ signs have become more important than the sheer joy of handling our small card board tresures.
We have SGC, PSA, GAI, BVG passing judgement on our cards. That's still not good enough. This thread has discussed that another judge has cognitive powers superior to the listed grading companies and that his opinions should trump those of the established grading companies.
So who finally becomes the "GRAND HIGH EXALTED MYSTIC GRADER" whose judgement is universally accepted by everyone?
Lighten up and stop chasing those $$$$ signs. Cards are only small pieces of flammable cardboard.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Thanks Jerry, someone needed to say it.
Happy Thanksgiving Day to all my fellow collectors.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Jerry,

You are welcome to your opinion but you are completely misrepresenting what is going on here. Some people want to talk about leave a penny take a penny some want to talk about issues--either way if its vintage cards its all good. Some like to use Thanksgiving day to criticise other posters--and that is not good.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Thanks to all who bumped this thread from oblivion.