NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Default Do we need a separate forum for discussing possible scams and con artists?

Posted By: Matt E.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default Do we need a separate forum for discussing possible scams and con artists?

Posted By: Matt

I'll second the motion. Though I've had great dealings with almost everyone I've dealt with here on the BST, it's always good to know who to avoid.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't see it happening guys. As much as I have no issue with outing bad situations I am not going to deal with something like that. I can't even imagine the repercussions. I am open to listening to discussion but I can't imagine letting that kind of forum happen. Just too many issues surrounding it.......regards

Old 12-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think a separate forum for such would be unfortunate, at this point in time.

A separate place would only encourage such posts... there's a place for it, let's do it!

I'd like to see fewer, but I'd like a lot of stuff.

What I'd like to see are more threads about cards... not about collectors vs dealers, OJ, eBay, Paypal, or slabbing companies.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

It's not a bad idea, but I'd hate to see things get so bad that it would be necessary.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Probably an unnecessary can of worms. I had a BST experience where someone sold some me serverely trimmed items but described them as slightly trimmed. Just a difference of opinion I suppose. Not necessarily a con artist. The point is that some folks might be undeservedly pubicly flogged if such a thread was established.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

I posted about on such an auction recently. Seller e-mailed me a rude message as he didn't want the facts I knew out to vintage collectors. Still glad I did so as dishonest is dishonest. Didn't respond to the e-mail as I didn't feel that responding or giving this person the time of day was appropriate. Scammers are scammers. However, I do not think a separate forum would be worth while.

Kmac

Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Good call Leon. A separate area will just encourage people to make accusations that may become increasingly baseless, like it was getting a few months ago (and has thankfully largely abated). With only a few exceptionss, people are now pretty careful to only post these concerns on the main board in very egregious or certain instances.

I don't think it's possible to create that area and not have it eventually devolve into finger-pointing corner with people hauling out the ban hammer even with only perceived possible nuanced thinking that someone did something wrong.

Too hard to fix a reputation once someone has recklessly and mistakenly called it into question. Nothing but trouble there.

Joann

Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Perhaps someone could moderate a completely new forum based on this subject. Leon could provide a link to the new forum with a disclaimer (if necessary).

Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

I was thinking more along the lines of the section being informative, educational and helpful to all.

Could cover things such as

Beware of Ebay ID.............

Cards were stolen,
Cards never mailed

Ebay ID change, seller back at it again

Is this real?

Fakes circulating

Won't respond to Emails

Bad trade alert with board member...

and yes a name mentioned when called for. Plenty of good can come from this area as well if used correctly.

Matt

Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Matt, those are some pretty good ideas, would you be willing to moderate this forum? I bet it would be a bull board VBC members will visit. The only thing would be to keep people from posting link after link of the threads in this forum to the main VBC forum.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

If you do start one of these boards, you better enlist a couple lawyers to help moderate it.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

How about know who you are doing business with and avoiding the scammers
all together?

Steve