NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

Posted By: Mike Peich

Hi Folks,

I bid (and lost) on a Cy T-3 last evening. This morning a I received a barely literate e-mail from someone in the UK offering to sell me a similar card for one-third the price. His eBay name is trufelt, and his feedback seems okay. Does anyone know anything about this person? I'm having a hard time believing that someone who buys cards for 99 cents can sell me an expensive T-3 for peanuts. Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards, Mike

Old 10-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

Unsolicited offer. Overseas. Gotta beware. There has also been problems with scammers hijacking legit ebay accounts with solid, established feedback and then making these kind of unsolicited offers (recent article on MSNBC's internet site). Not necessarily the case here but, you know the old saying...if it sounds to good to be true.....

Old 10-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

Posted By: runscott

He already knows what the card will bring on ebay - that's how he got your i.d. So why doesn't he put it on ebay? All the scam signs are there.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

Posted By: TBob

There was a T3 reprint set offered years ago. The size is much different and some people have tried (knowingly or unknowingly)to pass them off as the real things. The giveaway is the reprints are much smaller, about the size of modern baseball cards.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

Posted By: Mike Peich

Thanks Rob, Scott and T-Bob for the responses. You've confirmed what I suspected, and I am familiar with the reprint set (have one myself). The old adage does come into play here: if it looks too good, it's probably not legit. I appreciate your comments.

Cheers, Mike

Old 10-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

Of coarse, since he solicited you, I suppose you could try putting the shoe on the other foot. Tell him to send you the card for your review and if it's legit you'll pay him his mark plus a little extra!

Old 10-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

Posted By: Hankron

In these types of cases, the question to ask (oneself and perhaps the seller) is, "Why would someone offer me (a total stranger) something for $15 that he knows he could sell for $100 to someone else?"

Old 10-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

I wish to point out that, even when not looking at a picture of the item, most scams or iffy offers are exposed or hinted at by the description of the item and sale. Ordinarilly, there are either red flags or huge leaps in logic that many buyers are blind to.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

The following are examples of strange logic in scams that people actually will fall for.

"This card will certainly grade a Mint 9 by PSA, and that means it's worth $10,000! However, as I don't want to pay the $7 dollar PSA submission fee, I will sell it to you for $900."

"This T206 Honus Wagner is worth $200,000. However, as I need the $400 right away to pay this month's dorm rent, I will sell it to you for $50,000."

Though often on much smaller scale, eBayers (and anyone who's bought from Ken Goldin) commonly buy into these types of logic.

And to end with a typical (though made up) television Ken Goldinism : "I could easily sell these Al Leiter signed commerative bats for $2,000 right now, but I'm going to give them to you for only $600." (Answer: If Ken Goldin could sell a Al Leiter bat for $2,000, he'd sell it for $2,000)

Old 10-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

Posted By: David Seaborn

While I feel the last nugget of advice is generally true (and almost certainly true in this case), this is not a hard and fast rule, there are exceptions. Afterall, just a few posts ago a board member bought an ungraded card for ~$650 and got it graded. He could now sell it in the $8,000-$9,000 range. If the original owner would have paid the $7 to get it graded he would have done very,very well. There are deals out there, you just have to hunt for them. In the vast majority of cases, the advice in the previous post by Hankron is correct though.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

There are always deals to be found and honest sellers who don't know the value and rarity of what they have. My examples involved people who were well aware of the 'upside' and used it as part of the promotion. Specifically, a line I make is between someone who doesn't know something is worth $1,000 and sells it for $100, and someone who claims that something is worth $1,000 and who's sell price $100.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Default A scam artist?

I will add, that I like hunting and searching for deals as much as anyone else. Anything I buy I buy because I think I can resell it for more or the item is otherwise undervalued (Doesn't always mean I'm always right!). At one time or other, I'm sure all here have bought something because the seller (and often the other bidders!) didn't know how valuable it is.