NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2022, 07:39 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
my consignments moved marginally over the extended auction...my bids all got decimated. I walked away with some batman trading cards!!!!
Those are cool!! That's a good non sport set!
Old 04-26-2022, 07:48 AM
Michael

It's hard to figure out the psychology of thousands of bidders. For some, having a day to think about things may have meant deciding not to keep bidding (plus, maybe they were pissed off and did not bid in protest). For others, the extra day allowed them to get in bids they could not get in during the outage...but in the light of day may have focused them on the lots they really wanted.

My experience was that the one item I won was from a bid made on 4/25 (before extended bidding). My consignments picked up some bids during the day but only one (out of eight) received any bids in the extended period.

I think the extended bidding was much calmer than it would have been the day before and that the vast majority of items closed at 9:10. My guess is that much of what would have happened in the extending bidding the night before happened during the day of 4/25 (before extended bidding).
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 04-26-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:20 AM
Sam Dodero

Default RE: Auction

My understanding is that outage was not that long, that auction should have ended that night even though it could have gone until 2 or 3 am like some of the other auctions do anyways.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecaibrown1 View Post
My understanding is that outage was not that long, that auction should have ended that night even though it could have gone until 2 or 3 am like some of the other auctions do anyways.
You have probably never run an auction company that went up and down the ending night. REA did the only thing they could do under the circumstances. Once I saw it go up and down more than once I knew it would be extended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t208.jpg (191.2 KB, 452 views)
Old 04-26-2022, 08:25 AM
DR
David R@tliff

More time means people get an opportunity to re-evaluate. For those who did their homework, set their budgets and prepared for the actual auction end, what happened was a punch to the groin because it made a lot of that effort less useful and far less valuable - particularly since the extension was effectively another entire day.

I lost a card that I believe I was absolutely about to win, and actually did win a couple different times on Sunday night, because someone had a chance to spend the entire day Monday recalibrating prices. Good for the consignor, good for that bidder I guess, sucks for me but that's the breaks.

For consignors, there's "opportunity" as a result of that day, which is ultimately a free option, even if no additional bids come through.

What eeks me, and I'm sure many others, is that putting in the work to actually be prepared and ready to go so frequently is rendered less valuable by events like this, whether we're talking auction closes or just life in general. Those who prepare should have an advantage and be rewarded for their efforts, and changing the rules as the scoreboard is about to go final nullifies that in some sense.

Anyway, thankfully this is collecting, and there's always something else...

I'll post my wins after they come in.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:39 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecaibrown1 View Post
How do you know this??
Old 04-26-2022, 08:50 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Nice pick up Leon!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-26-2022, 08:59 AM
Michael

Ditto for Leon's card. Are T208s considered rarer than D359s? Or are they on about the same level?
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

This will be behind us soon and next time we can get back to the ritual banter about the catalog and its arrival, the breathless wow just wows, the bids placed!, and so forth.

Fortunately my too-high bid held up although it got bumped a couple of levels in the extended bidding. So it goes. I think it's hard to know what would have happened on Sunday night if the site had not had issues, and I think no matter what REA did some part of their constituency would have been pissed off.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
Ditto for Leon's card. Are T208s considered rarer than D359s? Or are they on about the same level?
Others might have different ideas but I would guesstimate at least 10 D359s to each T208, probably more. I have owned approx. 30 D359s over the years. I have owned about 2-3 T208s, including this one...
LL
Old 04-26-2022, 09:48 AM
Bill K@sel

Am I in the minority that thinks the partial Wagner going for $1.8m+ was really surprising? I mean, these days nothing should surprise me, but damn…that’s a hefty sum for 2/3 of a card.

I was after a few lower end Gehrigs, but happily was out bid.

Bill
Old 04-26-2022, 09:52 AM
Wayne V

What did that half one go for a few months ago, $470,000 ? Amazing !
Old 04-26-2022, 09:52 AM
Matt

Liked seeing the d304 Cobb get love-- always been my favorite prewar card. Between the beauty and how scarce it is, felt it was due for a run.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:10 AM
Michael

Yeah, I think you are right about T208/D359 based on how many times I remember seeing them up for sale (and the prices realized).

In other observations, it seems like Nap Lajoie is much more in demand than Eddie Collins. For two players of roughly equal ranking (and if anything, Collins is ranked a little higher), Lajoie seems to command higher prices when there are two cards from the same set and grade up for sale. Maybe there were other factors affecting the lots I was looking at and maybe it was just an anomaly for this auction.

Also, while there may be some SGC/PSA difference when it comes to rare type cards and stars, it is very noticeable when it comes to commons from widely collected sets. If you want a tough E card or a Ruth/Gehrig/Cobb/Robinson etc. you mostly just want that card for itself. But you usually want a Goudey/Leaf/Topps common because you are building a set...and the PSA set registry is a very powerful influence. (I guess I am just stating the obvious here.)

Last edited by molenick; 04-26-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:19 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Nevermind

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS

Last edited by timzcardz; 04-26-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:23 AM
Michael

I am not sure why I am being quoted. There is a reference to ET3 and KD2 but nothing about T208 or D359
Old 04-26-2022, 10:29 AM
K.J. Kin0$hit@

Default REA auction

I've been looking for an Ed Delahanty card for months now; coming close a few times. I was finally able to win one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delahanty.jpg (199.4 KB, 509 views)
Old 04-26-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
T208s are wicked rare, more so than D359s generally (by a decent margin).

Really great pick up Leon.

I won these two. Super psyched for both. The 1896 Wagner pre-rookie did not get a hit during the original extended bidding on Sunday night and closed at 9:10 yesterday. Thus, I won it regulation without any bids after midnight Sunday. I think the Plank got 1-3 bids in the initial extended bidding (I had a high max bid so it just auto bid for me), and it go no bids on Monday and closed at 9:10pm.

Very few cards of the 40+ lots I was watching got bids on Monday (although a few did and they moved a lot), and maybe 3-4 got bids on Monday extending bidding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5FA70330-1636-4AAA-AB3E-3D74380401CE.jpg (112.1 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg 5E133691-80A3-4B03-99BB-376DDA664B69.jpg (148.1 KB, 479 views)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:00 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

I won these two. Super psyched for both. The 1896 Wagner pre-rookie did not get a hit during the original extended bidding on Sunday night and closed at 9:10 yesterday. Thus, I won it regulation without any bids after midnight Sunday. I think the Plank got 1-3 bids in the initial extended bidding (I had a high max bid so it just auto bid for me), and it go no bids on Monday and closed at 9:10pm.

Very few cards of the 40+ lots I was watching got bids on Monday (although a few did and they moved a lot), and maybe 3-4 got bids on Monday extending bidding.
Great pickups. No mistaking Honus in that pic. He looks a little bit like Coach K to me there and in the t206.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:18 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

The extended time actually helped me, I was able to sell a card on the BST that provided extra funds used to make a higher bid on the T206 Lenox I was after. Couldn't be more pleased.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:24 AM

Default Rea

My first E107 - NYAL Germany Long and a Nadja NYAL that I probably overpaid for. The Long looked decent for the grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long Herman E107 SGC 1.jpg (195.0 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg Knight E92 Nadja PSA 3.jpg (199.4 KB, 467 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 04-26-2022, 11:29 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:

I really liked that Plank when I first saw it and was thinking about going for it. However I just couldn't knowing it was recently cut from a composite. Here's a scan of the composite as it was sold a few years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plank Composite.jpg (78.5 KB, 456 views)
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-26-2022, 11:31 AM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFinance7 View Post
I've been looking for an Ed Delahanty card for months now; coming close a few times. I was finally able to win one.
Sweet! 👏
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-26-2022, 11:35 AM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I really liked that Plank when I first saw it and was thinking about going for it. However I just couldn't knowing it was recently cut from a composite.

Completely agree.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:35 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I was fighting for it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Liked seeing the d304 Cobb get love-- always been my favorite prewar card. Between the beauty and how scarce it is, felt it was due for a run.
Battling it out on a few, D304 Cobb at the top of the list, M110 Wagner behind it, T213 Lajoie among others - ended up the under bidder on all of the above. Landed the W600 Clarke (for what I thought was one of the best deals in the auction) and the Lionel Carter Wilson group of 16, kinda wish I went a little stronger for the others. Some of the hammer prices were staggering - though not unexpected in the current market. There were some super quality cards in this one.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:43 AM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Battling it out on a few, D304 Cobb at the top of the list, M110 Wagner behind it, T213 Lajoie among others - ended up the under bidder on all of the above. Landed the W600 Clarke (for what I thought was one of the best deals in the auction) and the Lionel Carter Wilson group of 16, kinda wish I went a little stronger for the others. Some of the hammer prices were staggering - though not unexpected in the current market. There were some super quality cards in this one.
I was watching Lionel Carter's Wilson Franks set because I remember when REA sold it not long ago (intact, as a complete set, in Spring 2020). It sold then for $14,400, and I was mad at myself for not having made a placeholder bid.

Last night, broken up into five lots, it sold for $34,740. Quite a return for a two-year hold.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:44 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Landed the W600 Clarke (for what I thought was one of the best deals in the auction) and the Lionel Carter Wilson group of 16, kinda wish I went a little stronger for the others.
Congrats on the Lionel Carter Wilson pickup. I didn't see them in person, but hovering over the cards on the scans, every card looks beautiful and undergraded.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I really liked that Plank when I first saw it and was thinking about going for it. However I just couldn't knowing it was recently cut from a composite. Here's a scan of the composite as it was sold a few years ago.
I am very glad you and BRoberts could not bid on it, making it two less people to bid against. Each to their own.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Bill Roberts

No offense intended. It's a spectacular piece that fits wonderfully in your collection.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Salesman's Sample Successful Farming

Quote:
I am not sure why I am being quoted. There is a reference to ET3 and KD2 but nothing about T208 or D359
That was a troll who had 4 posts and they have all been deleted and the troll banned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg success1.jpg (189.5 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg success2.jpg (201.7 KB, 455 views)

Last edited by Leon; 04-26-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:54 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

IMO the US dollar is being debased due far too much liquidity in the system, due to Relief Programs and the like, bringing rising prices from a carton of milk to 1/2 a Honus. Now rising interest rates by the Fed will mean depressed bond and stagnant stock markets, while inflation will continue to soar. If people are now believing that sports cards are "admitted" assets in their personal finance plan, fine, but I hope folks aren't leveraging themselves to go after those Mike Trout shiny cards or Zion RCs. i believe there will be a day of reckoning for those and that is why I love my position in pre-War and 50's vintage. These cards may flatten when the correction comes, and it will, but I don't believe they will crater.
Oh, by the way, won a nice '48 Bowman Berra and a T06 Brown Washington variation with a Sovereign 350 back in REA's auction.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:23 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Nice to see the 54 Wilson Franks Williams finally getting some love.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54W Williams.jpg (171.5 KB, 441 views)

-
Old 04-26-2022, 12:47 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkm_bky View Post
Am I in the minority that thinks the partial Wagner going for $1.8m+ was really surprising? I mean, these days nothing should surprise me, but damn…that’s a hefty sum for 2/3 of a card.

I was after a few lower end Gehrigs, but happily was out bid.

Bill
Concur about the Wagner.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:52 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Didn't win anything I was really hoping for, but I did pick up both of the Walter Payton rookie cards with my "I can't let someone else get a good deal on these" bids.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
No offense intended. It's a spectacular piece that fits wonderfully in your collection.
LOL, no worries! But in this crazy price environment, I will accept whatever it takes to reduce the number of bidders I compete against
Old 04-26-2022, 01:53 PM
pete ullman

40 is the new 30...50 is the new 40...$10,000 for a bb card is the new 2K!
Old 04-26-2022, 01:56 PM
Pete Costanzo

Happy to have picked up the Jax. Nice eye appeal for a 1.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2022, 01:59 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoz View Post

Wow. Just wow.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:42 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Didn't win anything I was really hoping for, but I did pick up both of the Walter Payton rookie cards with my "I can't let someone else get a good deal on these" bids.
Glenn,

I think you just touched on one of the biggest differences between collectors and investors, and modern versus vintage collectors, and a primary reason why if/when there ever is a correction to the card hobby market it seems to invariably have a much less drastic negative impact on the vintage (especially pre-war) side of the market.

As you so aptly noted, a collector realizes the intrinsic value of vintage cards, and often will not hesitate to pick up more and more copies of the same or similar cards if the price is right, basically setting a floor value wise for them. Modern collectors/investors seem to be more into just the money aspect, without anywhere near the same connection and attraction to the cards and players themselves. When they see a certain modern player or type of card issue's value tanking, they're more likely to get out, and stay out. And if the dropping market is profound enough, they may even get out of cards entirely and look to other things to now invest in. An actual collector at heart is much more unlikely to ever completely abandon their cards and collections.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:04 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Happy with these

Was active on D304 Cobb General Baking, just couldn’t pull the trigger again…
Old 04-26-2022, 03:10 PM

Pete, great pick up.

Aaron, I love that Successful Farming - so tough.

Congrats to all on some great pick ups
Old 04-26-2022, 03:22 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Went 3 for 4, super happy with the results.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07 Detroit Team.jpg (205.7 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Lajoie.jpg (185.5 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg 26-29 Exhibits Johnson.jpg (150.5 KB, 340 views)

-
Old 04-26-2022, 03:22 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

Very nice pickups Ryan

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-26-2022, 03:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Wow. Just wow.
+1 agreed great looking Jackson

Congrats Pete

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-26-2022, 03:31 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoz View Post

That's his brother Noseless Bob Jackson...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-26-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:01 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

I abandoned my pursuit of the E94 Speaker’s despite how infrequently they come up for sale (and how much I love those cards) in favor of this. I was afraid I’d get priced out of these eventually and decided to make a move now.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/197085578@N03/uxMUN16u63
Old 04-26-2022, 04:17 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
I abandoned my pursuit of the E94 Speaker’s despite how infrequently they come up for sale (and how much I love those cards) in favor of this. I was afraid I’d get priced out of these eventually and decided to make a move now.

Nice pick up Adam and a good call, Speakers are tough but they'll still be available at an affordable level compared to the Cobbs.

-
Old 04-26-2022, 04:23 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Service

REA's service still #1 in my book. Messaged my contact there today. My auction winning's already p/u'd by FEDEX and I will see pkg on Left Coast this Thur.

Compare to Mile High (who is generally reasonably swift). From payment date at the end of March, it took until 4/25 to receive auction winnings.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:47 PM
ThreadKiller

Default perspective...

perhaps this all sucks for both buyers and sellers, but...
technological shit WILL happen when we all least expect it???

as both a buyer and seller in multiple auctions for over 20 years:
shit's gonna happen! - welcome to the "real" world.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:02 PM
Matt

Awesome Jackson RC, so nice for the grade.
Same for that red Cobb.

Those Old Judge Delahanty cards are fantastic and I hope to add one in the future; he is a figure who really captures the imagination.