NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Anyone know what this thing is?

Posted By: Keith

Sorry, I know this a little more recent than most of the items discussed on this board, but wanted to get some opinions on what this could be. This item is in an upcoming estate auction, so I haven't seen it in person yet, and can't figure out from the photo if it is some sort of pennant, or apron? any thoughts?
KJ

Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bobw

Pillow case ?

Old 03-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RA

I believe it's an apron.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Thanks, i think you are right on the apron.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

It could be a banner. 1948 women's dusting aprons didn't have baseball graphics, including Indians swinging bats.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RA

http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction6/74.html

Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I stand corrected, but you'd never catch June Cleaver wearing one.

June Cleaver was noted for always wearing pearls, even when cleaning the kitchen and gardening.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

This is indeed an apron, and there was a similar one produced when the Indians were in the World Series in 1954. I've found the '54 version to be much tougher to find than the 1948.

The basic aprons were supplied by a company called NonaLee, and a company tag can be found on one of the apron strings.

I say "basic" aprons because one thing that even many Indians collectors don't realize is that the 1948 aprons were produced in part by cutting up and using pieces from the pennant pictured below. (Sorry for the small image of the pennant; I was too lazy/busy right now to take a photo of the one in my collection, and this was the best I could find on eBay.) There's actually a wire photo of Cleveland-area female workers adding the Indians "pieces" to the plain aprons. The cut-up pieces of the pennant were glued onto the aprons.

The pennant is probably the most common of Indians/1948 World Series versions and usually can be picked up in nice condition for $100-$125 or so. I think a fair price for the '48 apron is in the $300 neighborhood (even taking into account the link above to the Aspire Auction). The 1954 apron brings about $400-$500.