NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Default Help with dating 4 older bats - Spalding, Axletree ring, etc

Hey guys,
My dad picked up these bats recently, the 3 larger bats in a group, and the smaller reach bat by itself, and was curious if you could help me with dating of them. I believe the Axletree bat to be circa 1890s but I could be wrong, and I don't really have much of a clue on dating the other 3. Also, if anyone can point me towards a good resource for dating bats, that would be awesome as well.

The 4 bats are:
1. A Spalding Axletree ring bat with No O. X. below the Spalding mark. The bat is 35 inches long, has lathe marks, and is in very nice shape except for the very faded rings. There are 2 rings evident at the end of the bat.

2. A Spalding Model 200 bat. This bat is just a hair under 35 inches long, and has the Spalding trademark on both the knob and barrel end.

3. A Hillerich & Bradsby Co Bing-Go No 20 bat, with Louisville BingGo in cursive towards the barrel. The bat is a hair under 35 inches long.

4. A Reach bat with lathe marks that is a smaller bat measuring about 25 inches long. The bat is marked with AJ Reach Co - 87.

Any help would be appreciated.
Keith
Here are some photos of them:

Last edited by vintagesportflips; 01-16-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 AM
John Harrell

Default Bat identification

Keith,

You've got some nice examples of Spalding, Reach, and H & B bats.

1. The Bingo bat is from the 1920's and is dated by the "question marks" on either end of the label. You can also find H & B Liberty and King of the Field bats also with the same question marks.

2. The Spalding model 200 would date from the 1910's to the mid 20's. Often the thickness of the handle can help narrow the date. In general, the thicker the handle, the earlier the bat.

3. The Reach 87 is a child's model (the 83 was the adult model) bat from the 1910's to the early 20's.

4. The Spalding Axle Tree bat is from 1880's to early 1890's and is made from an old wagon axle tree. Spalding used to advertise that they would pay for old wagon tongues and axle trees, as they were extremely hard and made excellent bats.

John Harrell
Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 AM

Default Bat aging

Thank you very much for your reply John. I really appreciate it.