NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Default Upcoming Auctions Question ??

Posted By: Mike

Can anyone shed some light on why the upcoming Mastro and Robert Edward auctions both run and end on similar days? It seems odd to me that two major auctions would run at the same time and I was wondering if it was just coincidental timing or if there is some type of marketing strategy at play here? Thanks, Mike

Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

I will be anxious to see the answer but as a bidder I think it is wonderful because I can see the full range of everything that is available and can bid accordingly.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Another advantage to bidders of modest means, like me, who will just be looking at a couple of items is that the big money is split with those buyers having to be more selective about where to put their money.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am not sure of the answer but REA and Mastro have had premier auctions at the same time the last several years (near April). The timing in the year is at tax refund time and that might not be a coincidence. I know there have been a few years I spent my refund in these auctions.......I doubt they conspire together.....probably not a lot of getting together on the weekends with employees of both companies....nor invitations to Christmas parties vice versa....regards

Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Rob only has one auction a year and does it at tax-refund time... which makes perfect sense.

Likewise, Mastro has auctions several times a year, so it would almost be impossible to find a time for an auction that would not "overlap" with one of theirs.

And like Leon says... as natural competitors... I'm sure that both are hoping that maybe someday the "other guy" will blink first and move away from this coveted time slot.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I don't think they consulted with each other and decided by mutual agreement to do it. But I guess there is some competitive reason that one chose the date after knowing the other's schedule. It does put a lot of great material out there all at once, for better or worse.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I think it's for the better!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

2 of the greatest days of the year is receiving the Mastro catalog & receiving the REA catalog. It just doesn't get any better than that !!! Now, if I could ever afford ANYTHING in any of the catalogs & not just the actual catalogs, that would be a dream come true !!!!

Alan

Old 04-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Having the two major auctions run simultaneously will actually affect bidders' strategies. What many will do is bid in the auction that closes first, but have an eye towards the one that closes the next day. Most people don't have an unlimited budget, so the sequence of when they close will be a factor in how they bid. It is a rather interesting situation to say the least.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jorge

I always thought it had something to do with the begining of the baseball season...... Hi Hal!

Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I guess I am just really surprised at the amount of product that collectors can absorb in the U.S. We just had our big hockey auction up here (Canada) and it grossed $1.2 million which are big numbers for hockey.

I read in a previous thread that the two upcoming auctions may gross 20 million each and I guess that means the hobby is alive and well.

Good luck to all !!!

Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

They are both large, but they won't gross $20 million each. Maybe combined, but even that may be a stretch.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I would take the over, Barry.

Qcards- What is the big hockey auction in Canada?

Old 04-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator

I'll take the under, and I'll bet you a milk shake.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Anyone want to guess what the Lionel Carter collection will total?

Old 04-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

I don't think the complete Carter collection is in this auction. I would guess the whole thing might be a couple of million. I don't know what I am basing that on, but that's my guess.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Richard; The firm that runs the big hockey auctions in Canada is called Classic Auctions and their link is below. Regards, Mike

http://www.classicauctions.net/

Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Barrys correct that the Carter collection to be sold will be portioned out through atleast a few auctions