NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Default prewar card blowout - it will make you laugh.

Posted By: eric p.

i couldn't resist, i don't know if this belongs in the bst or a regular thread, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERxL9t98pa8

Old 06-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Gotta love Home Shopping Network.....The guy must have real high blood pressure....

Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Good thing he's not Pinnoccio. His nose would be 5 miles long and would resemble a javeline. He could star in "Liar liar"

Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Geez, it would be nice of you got the cards pictured instead of those K-mart Topps cards of HOFers which are worth a nickle each.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

So lets showcase a bunch of goudeys,T206's, etc, and then send them kmart reprints? Can they get away with that?

Old 06-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If the world ever comes to an end, this guy would be perfect to preach the coming Apocalypse.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I'm not sure what to say. I'm speechless. I'm embarrassed to belong to the same species as this clown.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

I believe this is Don West. If it is, he is now on SportsTalk radio in the Nashville, TN.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

If you listen carefully he never says the cards shown are the ones you get. You do get a 50's Ted Williams card but it will probably be a P-F Ted Williams set card worth about $2. It is very hard to believe that everyone who pays $199 will get an EXMT 61 Mantle and an EXMT 56 Aaron, etc, etc, etc. K-Mart produced a set which is almost worthless in the 80's in which they reprinted the Topps cards and surrounded them with a 62ish looking border. I bet those are the cards that are sent out.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

He actually said the Ted Williams will grade a 7, but he didn't specify who was grading it (Acme Grading Service?)

He also showed many cards of value such as the 33 Goudey Hack Wilson, and the ones he displayed looked like they would easily surpass $200 in value.

If that is nothing more than a bait and switch, and you don't get any of the cards shown, then that is blatant fraud. How does he get around it?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

They are very smart when it comes to liability. I am sure there is no time in the program when he says "exactly" which specific card(s) you are getting. I am sure he says absolutely nothing that would hold him/them liable for anything......I am in sales so know how to dance pretty well (not technically, I can't really dance).. And the song "Ya know I can dance" just started rolling around my head......... ....

Old 06-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron

Don West also is a commentator for TNA Total Nonstop Action Wrestling.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Even if they include an SGC graded NM 1959 Fleer Ted Williams those consistently sell for 10 dollars on ebay. I just checked the ebay closed listings and several 59 Ted Williams PSA 8's sold for $20! No one cares about these, except the one short printed card. almost everyone i come across is NM, i bought some raw ones a while back for about 6 bucks a piece and i think they'ed grade nm-mt.

As for the cards, granted some inexpensive cards are shown. BUT almost all the T206 HOF'ers are showcased. T206 Mathewson, Johnson, Lajoie, Collins, Huggins, Baker, Chance all in SGC 40. Also Goudey Mel Ott, Hack Wilson, and other HOF'ers in SGC 40. Also recognized a '40 Playball Foxx, Gomez, and "big train" Walter Johnson and these looked to be SGC mid grade! in And from the topps 50's and early 60's issues cards like Mays, Mantle, Williams, Aaron, & Koufax. And the guy is pointing at them calling out the players names and talking about how this is the deal of a lifetime! Sure is! Except he and I both know not a single one of those cards will be shipped out to anyone!

"im not sending any commons! Never before have i said that!" lol. And he asks "do you know the 1952 book for Bob Gibson? hundreds of dollars? '58 ted williams? hundreds of dollars. '61 mantle, '55 Mays, hundreds of dollars!" etc, etc, etc. It's sad to think about how many people are getting scammed out of their money. This is worse then people who sell those beatup reprints on ebay made to look old. Even if he doesnt use the exact phrase "these are the cards you receive" isnt in implied when you speak like that? Any lawyers want to chime in here and tell me how you can seemingly so blatently decieve the public and get away with it!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

This is clearly deceptive advertising. The question is whether this is deceptive to a reasonable consumer. Here's the loophole in my opinion. Or at least it is the loophole they are exploiting.

The normal consumer would not believe that they would be receiving several thousands of dollars worth of cards for a hundred bucks or whatever they are being asked to pay.

Peter

Old 06-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

This Don West. The best one of his rants was when he said, "You have to be a complete idiot not to buy this." They made him come on air and apologize the next day. I saw both and it was hilarious watching him to try and be humble.

Watching this clip, I'm wondering if the meds are kicking in. Listen to the way he says any word that ends in "S". He must have filled a kiddie pool with all the spit that was flying.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Williams

He guarantees you one pre war card, but you can pick up beater HOF'ers for $20 bucks or less.

He also guarantees you hall of famers from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

Want to bet you get a whole bunch of 87 Topps and Donruss Ozzie Smiths, Nolan Ryans, George Bretts, etc....?

Old 06-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I'm sure there was some sort of bait and switch, but this presentation is also from the 1990s when vintage was a bit cheaper. Don West has not worked at Shop at Home for years. His tag line was "it's a no brainer."

Old 06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Also, there is the question of whether the consumer was damaged. If somebody paid $100 to Shop at Home and recieved $120 in cards (according to Beckett) it would be difficult to claim that they were damaged.

But surely people would complain and I'm sure they did. In order to avoid those types of complaints when card companies sell wax packs, they insert the relevant odds of pulling an insert on the wax pack or the box the packs come in.

Peter

Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

We all know how much of a joke price guides like beckett are. I could sell lots worth hundreds of dollars according to beckett all day long filled with game used jersey cards valued at 40 dollars a piece that people dont even bid .99 cents for anymore. Maybe I could publish my own price guide while im selling this crap and if anyone ever questions me i can say "look here in this guide, your cards do too book for 50 grand" lol.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately, it appears that Beckett's is going to dominate the market for periodical price guides. They now have quarterly and monthly guides for Baseball and Basketball.

Peter

Old 06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Go to utube and type in Don West Swimming. It the one of the funniest ones I have seen.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Excellent! I love when he picks up a random card and yells out "87 Fleer!" like it's the greatest thing in the world.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Wow.....a Frank Thomas Rookie !!!!!!!!!! I'll take 50,000 of them. what an investment !!!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I watched it and it looked like a comedy sketch, as if he were doing a parody of himself. I mean, can there really be somebody that loony?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: makersmarkambassador

Don West made late night tv great!! To him everything Shop at Home sold was the "The Greatest Deal in the history of Shop at Home!" His antics were one of a kind. Check him out at http://www.donwest.org/

Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AlShealy

Which war? Iraq?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

"Oportunity of a lifetime" "You won't get another chance like this in a lifetime"

"Books for HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only $4.00 a CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRD"

YOU-----JUST-----DON'T----GET-------THAT--------KIND------OF-------A-------PROMISE

What a bunch of junk. Ah, but I guess he was a pretty good salesmen.

It sure would be fun to go through that box and see those great 80's and 90's cards.