NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2021, 03:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's obviously an after the fact designation but that doesn't, to me, make it arbitrary, I assume Burdick's intent was to group all cards from ATC brands that had fronts that looked alike?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's obviously an after the fact designation but that doesn't, to me, make it arbitrary, I assume Burdick's intent was to group all cards from ATC brands that had fronts that looked alike?
Burdick did a great job, and later Lipset and Lemke. Pat is pointing to evidence that I don't think was known to Burdick. Perhaps, it was. By arbitrary, I mean casually, he left off T215-1 and T213-1, and sorted them with the blue-captioned ones.

On the Journals, did I read correctly that the T36 Auto Drivers set was only distributed in packs for a single day? There are far more examples to be found of T36 than T213-1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t213-1marquardf671.jpg (60.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg t213-1marquardb676.jpg (64.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg t36brucebrown363.jpg (41.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg t36brucebrownb369.jpg (45.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 03:45 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Peter, I don't know what Burdick's intentions were but personally I don't think they were printed with the t206's.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Peter, I don't know what Burdick's intentions were but personally I don't think they were printed with the t206's.
Yes I understand and I would not presume to say you are wrong given what I've seen of your research and analytical abilities, just trying to ask some questions to perhaps help clarify things perhaps not.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-30-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
What is a T206? Take away the nomenclature. Can you describe why a Ty Cobb with a Ty Cobb back, a Keeler port Sovereign 150, and a Keeler port Piedmont 350 are part of a set?

I asked earlier if you thought Coupon 1 was a type of Broder. I'm totally fine with that. I'm reading that's what you are saying. It could have been a one-off test print on cheaper paper without a release date at all, could it not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t213-1laporteengle459.jpg (77.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg t213-1laporteengleb460.jpg (78.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:56 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Yes I understand and I would not presume to say you are wrong given what I've seen of your research and analytical abilities, just trying to ask some questions to perhaps help clarify things perhaps not.
I would only be guessing but probably the same reason as me that he had reason to believe they weren't printed with the other t206's.

Last edited by Pat R; 05-30-2021 at 05:01 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-30-2021, 05:17 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
What is a T206? Take away the nomenclature. Can you describe why a Ty Cobb with a Ty Cobb back, a Keeler port Sovereign 150, and a Keeler port Piedmont 350 are part of a set?

I asked earlier if you thought Coupon 1 was a type of Broder. I'm totally fine with that. I'm reading that's what you are saying. It could have been a one-off test print on cheaper paper without a release date at all, could it not?
For me it's easy with the Keeler portrait examples as they were grouped
together when they started printing the set.
Sporting Life ad.jpg

The Cobb I personally don't consider part of the set for several reasons one
of them being we don't have proof of when they were printed.

I'm not familiar with the term Broder but as I said I think the Coupons
copied the t206's and were printed after the t206 printings ended.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:34 PM
Rob

Quote:
For me it's easy with the Keeler portrait examples as they were grouped
together when they started printing the set.
Attachment 461171

The Cobb I personally don't consider part of the set for several reasons one
of them being we don't have proof of when they were printed.

I'm not familiar with the term Broder but as I said I think the Coupons
copied the t206's and were printed after the t206 printings ended.
Thanks for clarifying. Broder is a slang term in post-war collecting. A father and son made homemade MLB sets from the 70's-90's that have become somewhat collectible on their own now.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Burdick did a great job, and later Lipset and Lemke. Pat is pointing to evidence that I don't think was known to Burdick. Perhaps, it was. By arbitrary, I mean casually, he left off T215-1 and T213-1, and sorted them with the blue-captioned ones.

On the Journals, did I read correctly that the T36 Auto Drivers set was only distributed in packs for a single day? There are far more examples to be found of T36 than T213-1.
I don't believe this is correct (or fully correct). There are some oddities in the ledger book, and some pages that indicate multiple print runs/issue runs for the same set. For example, T53 is stated in one of the Posey letters in it to have starting packing and delivery on March 29, 1911. The very next letter in the book says this single-series single-brand issue started packing and delivery on May 23, 1911.

T218's 3rd series is stated to have been issued in February, 1911 on one page in the ledger itself, and one of the Posey letters states May 25th.

Many of the pages are also missing, they are numbered to at least 380. Including the Posey letters not counted in the page count, there are 65 pages still together plus the remnants of the T206 pages someone ripped out of the collection to sell at some point, removing a lot of context.

I suspect T36 is one of the issues that had multiple issue (and print?) runs, and so was not issued for only March 27 and 28, 1911.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:41 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Many of the pages are also missing, they are numbered to at least 380. Including the Posey letters not counted in the page count, there are 65 pages still together plus the remnants of the T206 pages someone ripped out of the collection to sell at some point, removing a lot of context.

I suspect T36 is one of the issues that had multiple issue (and print?) runs, and so was not issued for only March 27 and 28, 1911.

Thanks for the update. I agree that there are too many T36 Auto Drivers cards around today for them to have had a severely limited print run. I glanced through some of the content on the Journals that I think was on the non-sports board awhile back, and remember the T36 part.

I was kind of hoping to wind-down the T206/T213 discussion for now, at least from my side. The reason I have been able to collect-up so many Coupons is that T213 cards have always been viewed as some sort of inferior knock-off to T206, less-so today than in the past.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I agree that there are too many T36 Auto Drivers cards around today for them to have had a severely limited print run. I glanced through some of the content on the Journals that I think was on the non-sports board awhile back, and remember the T36 part.

I was kind of hoping to wind-down the T206/T213 discussion for now, at least from my side. The reason I have been able to collect-up so many Coupons is that T213 cards have always been viewed as some sort of inferior knock-off to T206, less-so today than in the past.
I won't bump it anymore after this then . I'm presently agnostic on if they are t206 (Catalog designations should follow what ATC/ALC appears to have considered a set, which in this case has little evidence one way or the other) and don't own any anymore, but I am quite amazed anyone has managed to put together so many of this cool issue. Congratulations on your set Rob, and good luck on Rhoades!
Old 05-30-2021, 07:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Congratulations on your set Rob, and good luck on Rhoades!
Thanks, it's been a fun project. I'm sure a Rhoades will turn up eventually. There are folks in Louisiana that have T213's sitting around, and load them up on eBay all the time. Good thing I have lots of other sets to work on.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:33 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:

Hi Rob, I know G1911 replied about the T36's but I wanted to add some more information.

There are two pages on the T36's in the journal one for Mecca and one for Hassan. The dates are when they first started packing and shipping.
img455.jpg
img456.jpg

on some of the pages they went back and noted when that particular insert
was discontinued but many of them they didn't. Also some of them say to
pack and ship for 30 or 60 days but not all of them.

If you look at the Hassan page for the auto drivers you can see it says
discontinued packing Lighthouse pictures and substituted auto drivers.

Here's an earlier Hassan page that has the Lighthouses
img467.jpg

They started packing on 1-26-11 and shipping on 1-28-11 this indicates they were
distributed around 60 days so the auto drivers were probably distributed for either 30 or 60 days.