NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Dave_Berg

Default Brent/PWCC interview on recent controversies

https://youtu.be/_f3k5VSqVt4
Old 05-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

There's been some reaction already on one or maybe it was both of the other PWCC threads, so if you don't get many comments that's why.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:40 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

My thoughts:
1) (3 minutes in) He is confirming that his standards are not industry accepted and that the card industry needs to "mature" into accepting HIS definition of conservation. We see in the various responses to PWCC's posts on many message boards that very few people agree with him. He also claims that there are no grading company rules about what is/is not acceptable. This is a flat out lie, since PSA's grading page specifically lays out what they consider ungradeable alterations. He also fails to mention the importance of informing buyers of alterations/"conservations" that have occurred, something that is industry standard in many other collectible/investment fields.

2) (6:30 in) Tenets "are what we hold the grading company accountable for." "We will refine this to be in everbody's best interest." In the case of spooning out a crease, is it initially conserved because you can't spot it, but later becomes altered as it reappears? This is why nobody trusts what Brent has to say on this subject. PSA disagrees on removing pencil marks from a card; it's there in their list of alterations. He claims that his stance lines up with PSA's, but it's absolutely wrong.

3) As manufactured state: as long as it can't be detected, it isn't altered. Again, BS. If the intent is to hide flaws with an item, that is alteration. If it can't be detected by the grading companies, and they're claiming they can detect it, they need to come clean. Because more and more of these cards will end up getting reimbursed by their Grade Guarantee funds and continue to disgust their customers. Good alteration = Good conservation. No wonder he's such good friends with guys like Dick Towle. He's drank his solvent Kool-aid.

4) Take the 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC that was recently found to have the embedded gum/wax stains on the reverse removed. If you didn't have the before picture, it's "conservation"; once you've been provided the before picture, is it now "alteration?" Or are you still going to call it conservation?

5) Take a shot every time he says "mature" or "asset". Let me know how drunk you are. At 9:45, he basically says that spooning out creases or pressing/flattening cards/corners IS CONSERVATION.

So there's my thoughts for the first 10 minutes. I'll keep watching.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Why on earth would you keep watching?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Last edited by swarmee; 05-19-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:50 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why on earth would you keep watching?
It is fun watching a otherwise intelligent person go full short bus rider. It totally baffles me why Brent and Betsy keep making these amazingly stupid posts/videos that just make them look worse.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:53 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It is fun watching a otherwise intelligent person go full short bus rider. It totally baffles me why Brent and Betsy keep making these amazingly stupid posts/videos that just make them look worse.
I wonder if those curtains are in brents house...or maybe one of the oy gavaults!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Wow, it took until 10:33 to hear "We're not a professional grading company."
"We have to accept the grading companies and their assessment of it." Just like the Green PMG Jordan, huh?

So yes, he clarifies that bad erasures are alterations, but good erasures are not.
"That's generally how people feel about it." I have not seen that to be the case with people who are willing to give their opinions on message boards, Leon's preference notwithstanding. Again, if the card is found with writing on the card after it is sold, it's now altered. If there was no evidence of the card with writing on it, it's conserved. Geesh.

"I have never seen the N-7 alteration applied to a single card in 20 years. So PSA has it; I've never seen it used, ever." He agrees that if there was evidence a stain was removed, it should be considered altered. So again, how does the 1951 Bowman Willie Mays apply? How about the alterations that reappear over time because of using solvents to remove stains from cards? "This language [PSA's standards] is 30 years old." How about the WWG DiMaggio that PSA decertified?

Interviewer is definitely giving Brent the home court advantage. Barely talks, lines up softballs.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

If it ever came to it, Brent would not do well on cross-examination, IMO.

Personally, as much as I hate most forms of alteration, I really don't care about erasing a light pencil mark with a high quality eraser. There, I gave my opinion.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 PM
Scott Russell

How can you redefine a word? Conserve means prevent further damage. It in no way has EVER meant in any hobby, collectible field or dictionary - improving appearance for appearance's sake. Even cleaning an old master isn't solely to make it look better, the accumulated grime can destroy the painting.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
How can you redefine a word? Conserve means prevent further damage. It in no way has EVER meant in any hobby, collectible field or dictionary - improving appearance for appearance's sake. Even cleaning an old master isn't solely to make it look better, the accumulated grime can destroy the painting.
The same way he can call a baseball card an asset. Clueless. Apparently he needs to consult not only with better lawyers, but with a PR firm that can speak English.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Erasures are to me, one of those in between things. done properly, I don't see much problem, but do wish they were noted somehow. Done poorly, well, like anything done poorly it's a problem.

This card was one of two I asked SGC about the grade a few years ago when they were at the local show. It seemed nicer than the average 40 to me.

What the guy there spotted pretty quickly was an erased number on the back.
I've owned the card at least since 1980, it was the first nice T206 I bought. Since then, I've moved it between pages, different holders etc probably 5-6 times, looked at it a fair amount, and never noticed the erasure.
SGC did, and apparently didn't consider it anything that would prevent a number grade. It just didn't get a higher number grade because of the erasure.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

New information for once: "All the grading card companies have seen our Marketplace Tenets. They have read our stance on conservation vs. alteration. And all that was done in the weeks to months before us actually posting it." He doesn't say that any of them have ratified those or even given their opinions on it. Radio silence sure is saying something to me; not to him I guess.

1952 Mantle discussion (18 min): "I've only seen it [the before picture] once." "Before and after pictures are not evidence." Hah. WTTE of "Physical evidence has to be on the card, or first hand statement from the submitter has to occur in order to disclose the conservation." Well, this is not really true.

"Conservation is not something that has to be disclosed." They will not stop an auction if a card for sale shows "conservation" in a before picture. Just keep digging, Brent.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
New information for once: "All the grading card companies have seen our Marketplace Tenets. They have read our stance on conservation vs. alteration. And all that was done in the weeks to months before us actually posting it." He doesn't say that any of them have ratified those or even given their opinions on it. Radio silence sure is saying something to me; not to him I guess.

1952 Mantle discussion (18 min): "I've only seen it [the before picture] once." "Before and after pictures are not evidence." Hah. WTTE of "Physical evidence has to be on the card, or first hand statement from the submitter has to occur in order to disclose the conservation." Well, this is not really true.

"Conservation is not something that has to be disclosed." They will not stop an auction if a card for sale shows "conservation" in a before picture. Just keep digging, Brent.
It's like the old joke of how do you know a lawyer is lying.

Man, people here used to defend him by the droves, where are they?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
My thoughts:
1) (3 minutes in) He is confirming that his standards are not industry accepted and that the card industry needs to "mature" into accepting HIS definition of conservation. We see in the various responses to PWCC's posts on many message boards that very few people agree with him. He also claims that there are no grading company rules about what is/is not acceptable. This is a flat out lie, since PSA's grading page specifically lays out what they consider ungradeable alterations. He also fails to mention the importance of informing buyers of alterations/"conservations" that have occurred, something that is industry standard in many other collectible/investment fields.

2) (6:30 in) Tenets "are what we hold the grading company accountable for." "We will refine this to be in everbody's best interest." In the case of spooning out a crease, is it initially conserved because you can't spot it, but later becomes altered as it reappears? This is why nobody trusts what Brent has to say on this subject. PSA disagrees on removing pencil marks from a card; it's there in their list of alterations. He claims that his stance lines up with PSA's, but it's absolutely wrong.

3) As manufactured state: as long as it can't be detected, it isn't altered. Again, BS. If the intent is to hide flaws with an item, that is alteration. If it can't be detected by the grading companies, and they're claiming they can detect it, they need to come clean. Because more and more of these cards will end up getting reimbursed by their Grade Guarantee funds and continue to disgust their customers. Good alteration = Good conservation. No wonder he's such good friends with guys like Dick Towle. He's drank his solvent Kool-aid.

4) Take the 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC that was recently found to have the embedded gum/wax stains on the reverse removed. If you didn't have the before picture, it's "conservation"; once you've been provided the before picture, is it now "alteration?" Or are you still going to call it conservation?

5) Take a shot every time he says "mature" or "asset". Let me know how drunk you are. At 9:45, he basically says that spooning out creases or pressing/flattening cards/corners IS CONSERVATION.

So there's my thoughts for the first 10 minutes. I'll keep watching.
These are good reasons why I consider him a very slithering shady individual on the surface of things. I am no longer a customer, that's for sure. Let's see how he starts getting $$$$ back from conservators like Towle, Burge, Moser, Et al. I have clear picture of that happening. Those kids have been spinning 1's into 3's, 3's into 5's and 7's into 9's for a really long time together. They are thick as theives, IMHO. They do more flips over there that Nadia Comaneci

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-19-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: deleted trimmers
Old 05-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

In fairness I have never heard that Dick trims cards. He has admitted to doing things I would personally consider unacceptable alteration, but I have never heard trimming.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:35 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks like 2 of the 1993 SP Jeters sold for a combined $173K may be trimmed. Even more money PSA is on the hook for.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Looks like 2 of the 1993 SP Jeters sold for a combined $173K may be trimmed. Even more money PSA is on the hook for.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1294745

Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
In fairness I have never heard that Dick trims cards. He has admitted to doing things I would personally consider unacceptable alteration, but I have never heard trimming.
I will edit my comment.

The Fake Jeters are to die laughing for...A long time in bed together...a long time. Great job tracing these fake cards sold for at least 100,000's of Thousands, that we know of. Probably Millions before this scam is completely uncovered.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-19-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:

1952 Mantle discussion (18 min): "Before and after pictures are not evidence."
What?! Did he really say that? I didn't get that far into the video.

ETA: So I guess all those autographed T206s that were shown with before and after pictures would still be good in his world then?

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 05-19-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
What?! Did he really say that? I didn't get that far into the video.

ETA: So I guess all those autographed T206s that were shown with before and after pictures would still be good in his world then?
Right, as long as his clinic of doctors don't get caught by PSA, it would be considered Conserved.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:29 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
The same way he can call a baseball card an asset. Clueless. Apparently he needs to consult not only with better lawyers, but with a PR firm that can speak English.

Peter-Not sure why you have a problem with cards being called assets. An asset is defined as a useful or valuable thing. Certainly most cards have value and as such they can be considered assets. I understand that to some it is more palatable to spend money on assets than on cards, but at the end of the day it’s a distinction without a difference. There are things that Brent says that I disagree with, but I have no problem with this choice of words.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:16 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

#1 Conservation is alteration
#2 He mentions the art and comic world, but I don't think he knows what is conservation. He's making up his own definition that doesn't exist in those worlds.
#3 Conservation is supposed to be disclosed at sale and should make it so a card can only graded as AUTH (according to standard PSA, SGC, Beckett rules).

Last edited by drcy; 05-20-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:40 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Wow, one hour long video. Who has time to watch this entire thing?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Peter-Not sure why you have a problem with cards being called assets. An asset is defined as a useful or valuable thing. Certainly most cards have value and as such they can be considered assets. I understand that to some it is more palatable to spend money on assets than on cards, but at the end of the day it’s a distinction without a difference. There are things that Brent says that I disagree with, but I have no problem with this choice of words.
It's indicative of a whole mindset that I don't like. I wouldn't say to you, Jay, nice asset, or Jay, could you post a scan of that asset. It's a generic term that sounds stupid in this context, IMO.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

My only suggestion is to start buying at the smaller eBay companies like it use to be.

Before all of these big Sellers came along, there were rarely any controversies. You were able to get cards at decent prices and never had to worry about shilling.

These so called big companies think that they make all the rules around here. BS.

We can then get back to talking about baseball cards. I use to come to this Forum to learn about cards. Now all I hear about is the shadiness of the larger Sellers.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-20-2019, 07:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I ran out of patience about ten minutes in. What nonsense. Keep digging that hole, pal.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
I went to his web site and he lists what he does for cards and the general charges. Nothing is noted about trimming but a list of other changes are notes

http://www.gonewiththestain.com/price-list.html

Posted so we can see what they do to cards and what the cost is

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 05-20-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
It's like the old joke of how do you know a lawyer is lying.

Man, people here used to defend him by the droves, where are they?
I remember when I use to get laughed at when I just spoke about PWCC's inconsistent, all over the map, shipping fees plus the price they charged for shipping. Looking back, all that seems so trivial now based on what has come to light but for me it was another sign of a less than professionally run business. Throw in a few questionable card sales and some stories I have read here about their shilling policies, etc, and I haven't looked back since other than to watch some of their auctions. I guess for some, it seems, they needed more than that but I'm sure they're regretting that decision now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Wow, one hour long video. Who has time to watch this entire thing?
I noticed this vid was posted yesterday on my phone while I was at my trailer. I was hoping to watch it today on my home computer but when I realized it was over an hour long, just reading the comments here and below the vid was enough for me to realize it is nothing more than a damage control vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
My only suggestion is to start buying at the smaller eBay companies like it use to be.

Before all of these big Sellers came along, there were rarely any controversies. You were able to get cards at decent prices and never had to worry about shilling.

These so called big companies think that they make all the rules around here. BS.

We can then get back to talking about baseball cards. I use to come to this Forum to learn about cards. Now all I hear about is the shadiness of the larger Sellers.
Same. When I joined the site and started collecting back in 2016, I was real happy to see these card forums actually existed.
As time went on I quickly learned how ugly this hobby was, and was really surprised, the ugliest parts of it came from those who were supposedly started to protect/endorse the hobby.
The things I've learned and seen in my short time here from PSA, PWCC and some auction houses, who are allowed to "up bid" their own auctions, made me quickly learn this is no longer kids stuff anymore.

The biggest eye opener's are from those who defend these places and scoff at those who question their business practices. I honestly don't understand, nor will ever understand, anyone who continues to do business with these places. It just boggles my mind.

Last edited by irv; 05-20-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling/rewording
Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

[QUOTE=swarmee;1879322]New information for once: "All the grading card companies have seen our Marketplace Tenets. They have read our stance on conservation vs. alteration. And all that was done in the weeks to months before us actually posting it." He doesn't say that any of them have ratified those or even given their opinions on it. Radio silence sure is saying something to me; not to him I guess.

So maybe the TPG's have read his "Tenets." Sounds like he has the gall to consider himself "the authority" that his word shall be beholden as sportscard gospel and how "assets" should be sold.

Who gave him the title? Is he the new "Lord of Sportscards?" In my opinion he seems to have a high opinion of himself...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.

Last edited by chalupacollects; 05-20-2019 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-20-2019, 09:05 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

[QUOTE=chalupacollects;1879434]
Quote:
Quote:

So maybe the TPG's have read his "Tenets." Sounds like he has the gall to consider himself "the authority" that his word shall be beholden as sportscard gospel and how "assets" should be sold.

Who gave him the title? Is he the new "Lord of Sportscards?" In my opinion he seems to have a high opinion of himself...
Lake Oswego has always been the center of the sports card universe.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Watching the video

I don't think i have shaken my head so often and said you are full of shit more times in one hour in my entire life. I can not disagree more than i do with 99% of what he says. I had used them several times to sell for me. i don't think i will ever again. i just can't in good conscience despite the strong prices i received and the relatively quick payments. i am in this for the long haul and i don't think what he is trying to do is helpful for the hobby. I'll stick with REA and a couple other reputable sellers to consign with.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Most of you folks are a lot more patient than I am. I made it to the 8 minute mark before the steam was shooting out my ears, and I had to shut it down.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:11 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I listened to most of the rest of it at work this morning. I was glad he owned up to being a fence ("front" in his terms) for bad actors, but it seems he won't out anyone who confesses, apologizes, and reimburses those who were scammed. He believes all of these criminals are worthy of staying in the hobby as long as they promise not to do it again...

He says that he is working to identify "conservators" who he can point people to in order to improve the look of their cards, and anyone who thinks this is alteration just needs to "mature" like other markets. He didn't say if Dick Towle was on that list.

Things I do agree with that he said: the bad actor information needs to be freely shared between auction houses and grading companies so this doesn't become a case of "pass the trash." He referenced the plan that blowout member Superdan is working to catalog all these altered cards onto a website so that the info doesn't get lost to internet losses.

I disagree that the six to eight already outed by Blowout are redeemable in the hobby, and I would love for Brent to turn over his information on their consignments to law enforcement.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

He's doing so many good things for the hobby, I don't understand what the problem is.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
He's doing so many good things for the hobby, I don't understand what the problem is.
LOL.

The interview had me between laughing and yelling at the screen. I didn't get when he said nobody has accused them of wrongdoing. I think we both know someone who has.

Last edited by glynparson; 05-20-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
LOL.

The interview had me between laughing and yelling at the screen. I didn't get when he said nobody has accused them of wrongdoing. I think we both know someone who has.
Kind of like when he claimed noone had ever questioned his scans and I linked a post on CU where he had recently responded to just such a charge.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I listened to most of the rest of it at work this morning. I was glad he owned up to being a fence ("front" in his terms) for bad actors, but it seems he won't out anyone who confesses, apologizes, and reimburses those who were scammed. He believes all of these criminals are worthy of staying in the hobby as long as they promise not to do it again...

He says that he is working to identify "conservators" who he can point people to in order to improve the look of their cards, and anyone who thinks this is alteration just needs to "mature" like other markets. He didn't say if Dick Towle was on that list.

Things I do agree with that he said: the bad actor information needs to be freely shared between auction houses and grading companies so this doesn't become a case of "pass the trash." He referenced the plan that blowout member Superdan is working to catalog all these altered cards onto a website so that the info doesn't get lost to internet losses.

I disagree that the six to eight already outed by Blowout are redeemable in the hobby, and I would love for Brent to turn over his information on their consignments to law enforcement.
6 to 8?? There have been dozens.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
LOL.

He is probably playing word games and defining accused to mean a formal charge by law enforcement.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
He is probably playing word games and defining accused to mean a formal charge by law enforcement.
Who on earth would resort to word play to communicate in their alternative universe?

Could such an individual also be a Scrabble Master, or perhaps be competent in solving cryptic crosswords.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You mean the investment community.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
You mean the investment community.
You're a bad person. First you rip Mastro and now Brent.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I don't think i have shaken my head so often and said you are full of shit more times in one hour in my entire life. I can not disagree more than i do with 99% of what he says. I had used them several times to sell for me. i don't think i will ever again. i just can't in good conscience despite the strong prices i received and the relatively quick payments. i am in this for the long haul and i don't think what he is trying to do is helpful for the hobby. I'll stick with REA and a couple other reputable sellers to consign with.
Quote:
LOL.

Glyn, I have always noticed you to be a staunch supporter of PSA grading so I am curious, in light of these recent developments here and on BO, if your good thoughts on PSA still remain?

I will admit, after reading some of your posts, you had me swaying back sometimes thinking maybe I was being too critical of them, but I can tell you with a 100% certainty now, I will never be swayed back based on what I have seen and learned on these 2 sites within the last couple weeks.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:18 PM
J0hn Collin$

I listened to about 10 minutes of it. If I’m not someone who is already familiar with PWCC and the backstory there and issues that have already been brought up in this or other threads, what he’s saying doesn’t seem outlandish to me - but it also seems unnecessary. If we have no evidence on the card, then no “alteration” was done. Of course, if you get a card in with an erased pencil mark and you were not on hand to see the erasing being done, and it left no traces whatsoever on the card - even being viewed “30 different ways in 20 different lights and 10 different magnifications” or whatever it was he said - then no, you aren’t going to call that card “altered”. Not outing previous known card doctors that PWCC likely made a fortune with and things like that is outside the scope of what I can knowledgeably speak to. If I believe what I have read on Net54 and then listen to 10 mins of Brent, it seems like he is offering to address something that is not really the issue to whitewash a much larger problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 01:25 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

He has been accused of selling hundreds of doctored/altered cards in graded holders-- and, I don't know, but some have said knowingly selling cards from well known card doctors-- , and is now trying to explain that certain types of alterations are okay and not even alterations, they don't have to be disclosed to the buyer, and, essentially, that "if you can't tell that a doctored card hasn't been doctored, it isn't doctored,"-- which is reminiscent of the old steroid baseball era saying "it's not cheating if you don't get caught."

Am I a zealot who thinks using a pantyhose to remove a wax stain from the back of a card a mortal sin? No. Do I think a card that has had a pencil mark erased or wax stain removed can legitimately receive a 10? No. I assume the card may be deserving of a number grade, but no 10. Perfectly gradable 2s and 3s have varying damage including sometimes identified by the grader pencil, erasure and pen marks, but a legitimate 10 cannot be created or be the product of working on the card.

So doing something to the card isn't necessarily bad or unethical (I'm not saying it's wrong to remove a wax stain or pencil mark or have the card conserved), and in instances, the card may still be deserving of a number grade, but what has been done should be factored into the grade.

Last edited by drcy; 05-20-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:36 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
He has been accused of selling hundreds of doctored/altered cards in graded holders-- and, I don't know, but some have said knowingly selling cards from well known card doctors-- , and is now trying to explain that certain types of alterations are okay and not even alterations, they don't have to be disclosed to the buyer, and, essentially, that "if you can't tell that a doctored card hasn't been doctored, it isn't doctored,"-- which is reminiscent of the old steroid baseball era saying "it's not cheating if you don't get caught."

Am I a zealot who thinks using a pantyhose to remove a wax stain from the back of a card a mortal sin? No.
Exactly...Brent is trying to change "the rules" as to what's acceptable in the hobby to justify past indescretions.

Who the "F" is Brent to think he can just decide what should be acceptable?

BRENT IS NOT GOOD FOR THIS HOBBY!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:08 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Exactly...Brent is trying to change "the rules" as to what's acceptable in the hobby to justify past indescretions.

Who the "F" is Brent to think he can just decide what should be acceptable?

BRENT IS NOT GOOD FOR THIS HOBBY!
"Some hayseed in Oswego Lake"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Since i was asked

Quote:
Quote:
LOL.

"The interview had me between laughing and yelling at the screen. I didn't get when he said nobody has accused them of wrongdoing. I think we both know someone who has.
Glyn, I have always noticed you to be a staunch supporter of PSA grading so I am curious, in light of these recent developments here and on BO, if your good thoughts on PSA still remain? "

"I will admit, after reading some of your posts, you had me swaying back sometimes thinking maybe I was being too critical of them, but I can tell you with a 100% certainty now, I will never be swayed back based on what I have seen and learned on these 2 sites within the last couple weeks."

I think they make mistakes. I think all of them make mistakes. i still think their senior graders are very good at what they do. They obviously aren't perfect it is just that some of these doctors are damn good. These rough cuts they are doing now are downright scary. I am still a psa guy I don't think they are flawless I never did. I am more angry at what the card doctors have done. I am hopeful PSA will ban the doctors from submitting as it is not good for anyone. ANd i hope Brent does what he says in the video, but i hope he also notes all "conservation" he knows occurs not just what he determines is visible on the card but what he knows and or what is visible should be noted.

Last edited by glynparson; 05-20-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I listened to about 10 minutes of it. If I’m not someone who is already familiar with PWCC and the backstory there and issues that have already been brought up in this or other threads, what he’s saying doesn’t seem outlandish to me - but it also seems unnecessary. If we have no evidence on the card, then no “alteration” was done. Of course, if you get a card in with an erased pencil mark and you were not on hand to see the erasing being done, and it left no traces whatsoever on the card - even being viewed “30 different ways in 20 different lights and 10 different magnifications” or whatever it was he said - then no, you aren’t going to call that card “altered”. Not outing previous known card doctors that PWCC likely made a fortune with and things like that is outside the scope of what I can knowledgeably speak to. If I believe what I have read on Net54 and then listen to 10 mins of Brent, it seems like he is offering to address something that is not really the issue to whitewash a much larger problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I disagree to some extent. I believe, and people who know much more than I do I think can confirm, that if you look hard enough you can always find evidence certainly of stain removal with solvents, and crease and wrinkle removal. So his self serving proclamation is wrong. It could well be altered even if in ordinary circumstances you might not know it. That makes it skilled alteration, not an absence of alteration.

If this BS is good for the hobby, well you can have the hobby.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You have to look at this Mikan RC listing:

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/items/1982758

"They simply don't come looking like this."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-20-2019 at 03:17 PM.