NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Anson

Default Pinholes vs. indentations

Rather than call out the specific card for sale, I will say there's a PSA 4 VgEx that I'm interested in, but appears to have a pinhole on the top right corner. From the front, it looks 100% like a pinhole, but the back shows more of an indentation that may not go all the way through the card.

Outside of the advice of buying the card, not the holder.....is there really THAT much of a difference in grade simply because it pierced the last layer of cardboard to go through altogether? It could be argued that it's similar to paper loss, albeit pin point sized.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:18 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Rather than call out the specific card for sale, I will say there's a PSA 4 VgEx that I'm interested in, but appears to have a pinhole on the top right corner. From the front, it looks 100% like a pinhole, but the back shows more of an indentation that may not go all the way through the card.

Outside of the advice of buying the card, not the holder.....is there really THAT much of a difference in grade simply because it pierced the last layer of cardboard to go through altogether? It could be argued that it's similar to paper loss, albeit pin point sized.
To give a better understanding, I would look at the established hobby definitions of "wear" vs "abuse". A heavy indentation would probably fall in the former, while shoving a needle clear through, the latter. I agree, in the case you are describing, it sounds like a thin line, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. It's also possible that it WAS a pinhole and someone used a drop of water on the back to re-soften and swell the paper fibers to close the hole.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A pinhole is worse than an indention to me. It sounds plausible one could be closed back up too though I have never tried it. I generally steer clear of pinholes but don't mind an indention AS LONG as I know about it up front. I hate surprise condition issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
To give a better understanding, I would look at the established hobby definitions of "wear" vs "abuse". A heavy indentation would probably fall in the former, while shoving a needle clear through, the latter. I agree, in the case you are describing, it sounds like a thin line, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. It's also possible that it WAS a pinhole and someone used a drop of water on the back to re-soften and swell the paper fibers to close the hole.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

If PSA gave it a 4 then they clearly don't think it's a pinhole, which gets a card an automatic 1 in their system.

That's if they got it right. Big if.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 AM

Default I had the choice of 2 and I picked the one on the left

Which I later found out had 2 pinholes, one obvious and one on the border. I can live with pinholes with cards as clean as this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-003F.JPG (57.5 KB, 177 views)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Bry@n

My Johnson has a small hole in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnson portrait pin.jpg (72.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Could be gallstones?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Could slow the flow a bit...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Anson

Here's the card I'm talking about. You be the judge

Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 AM

Default When life offers you a card with a pinhole, use it as an eclipse pinhole projector

In my little collecting world, a pinhole in a card means you have the opportunity to see through the card, something that a card without a pinhole cannot provide.

Brian
Old 05-16-2019, 02:44 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Here's the card I'm talking about. You be the judge

Hard to tell w/o it in hand, but it looks like a pinhole that was worked on to me. Either way, I'm really surprised that got a 4. I could see them splitting the difference at a 2, but a 4 is pushing it, IMO.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Steven Sadler

I had a Carolina Brights backed card with a pinhole at the top where the back appeared sealed in like that. SGC graded it a 1 and someone has since crossed it to PSA which graded it a 1 also. They likely missed it on this one but shouldn't have. The number on the flip could make it hard to buy it at what the true value should be, good luck.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Hard to tell w/o it in hand, but it looks like a pinhole that was worked on to me. Either way, I'm really surprised that got a 4. I could see them splitting the difference at a 2, but a 4 is pushing it, IMO.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Kenny Cole

An indentation can probably be "conserved." Not sure about a pinhole.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

There is also a difference between pin holes and tack holes. I've seen some pinholes so tiny they are almost impossible to detect, then there are tack holes when you can virtutally see through it like a peep hole. While generally not a fan of holes of any kind, a small pin hole doesn't bother me all that much on some of my T3 commons if they are inconspicuous. I have one with a big tack hole where someone at some point unapologetically filled the hole with wood putty. It reminded me of something my grandfather would have done, so I got it. 🙂
Old 05-23-2019, 05:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
An indentation can probably be "conserved." Not sure about a pinhole.
I would hope not but my guess is yes on both accounts (indentations and pinholes) to being conserved/restored . Both push the boundary too far for me.