NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Default Fading ink, feels bad man

First off, I took an extended break from autos of any kind for like 5 years. I got overwhelmed with hunting and trying to complete collections and got burnt out. I got married, have 2 boys and am happy with my life.

I have a plastic tub that holds my autographed baseball collection. I was going through it, and came across the below baseballs that I was successful with a TTM request. These autos are great because they have the hit inscription which is a collection I have (3000 hit club). They have no been in the sun in years and yet they are faded to hell. I am certain the issue is the ball I chose (cheap China ball I was ok with never getting back). Are these a lost cause? Anything I can do to stop them from fading further?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N2k...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by isaac2004; 07-26-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yikes. I have no idea but that is a shame.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Curt

I don't think there is much you can do. The ink bleeds on those cheap balls. I have a few similar to that myself.

In hindsight, I dodged a bullet by not getting a cherished in person signature as a kid, as the player left early. I was crushed at the time and have since gotten multiple signatures and had that long awaited meeting in person. Had I gotten the signature at the time though, it would have been on one of those crappy souvenir balls and I'd be thinking the same thing as you today.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I don't think there is much you can do. The ink bleeds on those cheap balls. I have a few similar to that myself.

In hindsight, I dodged a bullet by not getting a cherished in person signature as a kid, as the player left early. I was crushed at the time and have since gotten multiple signatures and had that long awaited meeting in person. Had I gotten the signature at the time though, it would have been on one of those crappy souvenir balls and I'd be thinking the same thing as you today.

Is there a place to get non China baseballs in bulk for a non insane cost?
Old 07-27-2018, 12:58 PM

I would suggest you bite the bullet on the cost of official MLB baseballs. This issue isn't contained to only one brand. I think you'll run into the same fading no matter what cheaper option you buy.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:06 PM

I stopped collecting signed baseballs because of this fear, even though I only used official baseballs. Not sure my fear was rational if using official balls, but it is what it is. Though I can report no fading.

Total bummer. Sorry that happened. Definitely worth ponying up if you want to keep going. Those boys might be happy you did.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I stopped collecting signed baseballs because of this fear, even though I only used official baseballs. Not sure my fear was rational if using official balls, but it is what it is. Though I can report no fading.

Total bummer. Sorry that happened. Definitely worth ponying up if you want to keep going. Those boys might be happy you did.

Getting in person autos with official balls is fine becuase I'm holding it the whole time. TTM is a whole different animal because I am not even guaranteed to get it back unsigned.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:03 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Just go over the signatures yourself with dark ink.... good as new!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Tony W.

The issue is definitely the type of ball you used. Official ROMLB's are the only way to go. There are still problems with bleeding sometimes (and I won't even start the conversation about what type of pen to use), but NOT the type of fading that you are seeing.

IMO, it's better to send out a ROMLB and risk losing it than to get a cheapo ball back that fades. Plus, there are many TTM sites that tell you what return percentages are for signers, so you can cut down the risk of losing a ball significantly.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:39 PM
Manny
Banned

Probably cheap synthetic "PU leather," a/k/a polyurethane leather.

Nasty stuff. Basically foam.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

As a kid I bought a nice-looking but cheap baseball to get the 1973 Reds to sign. One panel was beautiful and still is. The other started fading slowly until now it's just a blank panel, including a beautiful 'Johnny Bench'.

Sorry to bring more bad news. This is why I don't buy fading autographed balls, even when they look okay today.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:58 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxTony View Post
The issue is definitely the type of ball you used. Official ROMLB's are the only way to go. There are still problems with bleeding sometimes (and I won't even start the conversation about what type of pen to use), but NOT the type of fading that you are seeing.

IMO, it's better to send out a ROMLB and risk losing it than to get a cheapo ball back that fades. Plus, there are many TTM sites that tell you what return percentages are for signers, so you can cut down the risk of losing a ball significantly.
ROMLB balls is not a guarantee that the signature will not fade. I have a few signatures on 150 plus baseballs that are all but gone, while others signatures are bright and crisp. Ink, leather, signing pressure, whether the person palmed the ball (oils), storage are factors in the fading issue. I always had the person sign a ball but once I saw the fading of balls stored in complete darkness, I stopped getting balls signed.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

True about all of those things but starting off with the best ball possible improves your odds.

I also have a ball that I had two different teams sign, randomly on either panel but with two different pens, back in the early '70s. One team is minty fresh and the other faded quickly to a barely acceptable level then stopped.

Good pen + good ball = good results
Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Casey

I am resurrecting this thread with a slightly different question. I notice online that blue bleeding signature balls OMLB are showing up all over the place. JSA, PSA, Beckett signings. Sometimes dozens from the same signings. And the asking price are still mid to high. (If you want an example, see Willie McCovey on eBay). But, frankly, aren't these balls really worthless?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:38 PM

The balls I saw when I searched were all unofficial made in China baseballs.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 AM
Casey

I checked a few other players. You are right. I will see if there are any that are OMLB. Either way, they probably keep getting worse? They are mostly worthless when faded, right? So why even try to sell them?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Casey

These are all OMLB and JSA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190517-090709.jpg (69.6 KB, 242 views)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM
D@ve Se@born

Default Pen, nor ball

Case, the problem on the balls you posted is not the ball, it's the type of pen that was used. Some pens lend themselves to bleeding into the medium on which they're signed.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
Case, the problem on the balls you posted is not the ball, it's the type of pen that was used. Some pens lend themselves to bleeding into the medium on which they're signed.
Absolutely. They should be a blue ball point pen. They’re all sharpie.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Casey

If I see one of these online, then they aren't worth spending money on as they are worthless? (There is a Carl Yaz one online that is a nice signature, but it it is already starting to bleed).
Old 05-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Chuck Tapia

I have about 30 balls displayed in a case on the wall in my office. It is pretty bright in there most of the time and my autograph photos fade too.

So, All the selig balls that were signed in bic are almost completely faded off. Including a graded 9.5 Mays that you cant see. McCovey completely gone. Losing Ripken and Ryan too. Yogi Berra 9, GONE.

The funny thing is, The NL and AL balls from the 80's with the bold pen are still bold being stored right next to the new balls. It's pretty amazing the new signatures on the new balls completely vanish. POOF>

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-18-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
If I see one of these online, then they aren't worth spending money on as they are worthless? (There is a Carl Yaz one online that is a nice signature, but it it is already starting to bleed).
coming from a guy who buys a ton of worthless stuff, it must be really bad.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:05 AM
Casey

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Fuddjcal;1878837]coming from a guy who buys a ton of worthless stuff, it must be really bad.

😁🤔 You caught me again😁
Old 05-19-2019, 06:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
Unfortunately it sometimes takes a while to discover that you used a bad pen. I had a cheap ball signed in 1972 and a high quality signed in 1973 using two different pens. All signatures on one panel of the '72 ball faded to nothing. All the ones on the other panel still look perfect. On the 1973 ball, the signatures I got the Phillies autographs with are perfect, the ones I got the Giants with a month later are all bleeding - 'bleeding' is different from 'fading'.

Lots of variables, but always use an OMLB baseball, and even then the wrong pen can result in bleeding. I don't know how the ink in my ball-point pens differed - I would guess one was higher water content?

Last edited by Runscott; 05-19-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Chuck Tapia

[QUOTE=Case12;1879080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
coming from a guy who buys a ton of worthless stuff, it must be really bad.

😁🤔 You caught me again😁
And I should talk with all the worthless faded balls.