NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Mike

Default Jackie Robinson Game used Glove 1955/56 Seasons including World Series up for auction

Today on Fox Business, a rep from Steiner Sports Mr. Costello had on set a game used Jackie Robinson glove used during the 1955-56 season and World Series. The Glove is going up for auction by Stiener Sports starting May 1st. Mr
Costello stated through extensive research the glove has been photo matched and could top 1 million dollars. This is the only game used Jackie Robinson glove in existance. Any opinions welcomed.

Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 04-15-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

No opinions as of yet, but here are some articles to link....minimum bid $42k...

http://auction.steinersports.com/ext...-glo-lot2.aspx

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...xlzeSHbgRV9P1K

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1316120
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 04-16-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Belltown Vintage

Amazing how the only known game-used Robinson glove in existence, finally surfaces over 50 years later. I guess if it could happen now, there could be many more of these showing up over the years. Kind of like Babe Ruth autographs (sorry, Rhys, for sounding negative).

Anyone think the last sentence of the following part of their description is just a little bit odd?

"Robinson used this glove in the 1955 World Series, wherein the Brooklyn Dodgers defeated the New York Yankees to win their first ever World Series. Jackie also used this glove durning the 1956 World Series and in his last game ever played. The glove shows extensive wear and aging on the leather throughout which attributes to the three years of use. The glove has number "42" written in black felt tip on the intact wrist strap, signifying that the glove belonged to Jackie. "

Last edited by Runscott; 04-16-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

Anyone think the last sentence of the following part of their description is just a little bit odd?

"
This provides more detail (from the NYP article):

One of the highlights in this BD model glove is Jackie’s iconic jersey number ‘42’ written in black felt tip on the intact wrist strap also, signifying that this glove belonged to him as proven by the ‘42’ pictured in the photo match.”
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
This provides more detail (from the NYP article):

One of the highlights in this BD model glove is Jackie’s iconic jersey number ‘42’ written in black felt tip on the intact wrist strap also, signifying that this glove belonged to him as proven by the ‘42’ pictured in the photo match.”
lol
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Chris, I think you missed my point.

As an aside, I've been looking for a nice Jackie Robinson signed document - I would love to find one from his playing days, signed with a black felt-tip pen. Anyone seen any?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Too bad they felt the need to attach a replacement Rawlings Patch. It looks obtrusive, fake and ugly, and is not original to the Glove. I would much rather have this glove all-original, and in the exact condition it was left by Jackie.

That is, if I could afford it...
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Brock

Wasn't there another Robinson glove being sold like 1-2 years ago.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Chris, I think you missed my point.

As an aside, I've been looking for a nice Jackie Robinson signed document - I would love to find one from his playing days, signed with a black felt-tip pen. Anyone seen any?

Hi Scott -

I did! Sorry. I thought the felt tip (marker) was in use by the early 1950's (Sidney Rosenthal invention). Should i assume the "photo match" shows a penned "42" as opposed to a markered 42? Haven't seen the photo match.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Hi Scott -

I did! Sorry. I thought the felt tip (marker) was in use by the early 1950's (Sidney Rosenthal invention). Should i assume the "photo match" shows a penned "42" as opposed to a markered 42? Haven't seen the photo match.
Okay, my bad - unlikely that his glove would have felt-tip markings, but physically possible. Good to know - I'd like to think the item is authentic. Still, I wonder where all the felt-tip signed/marked items from the mid-1950's are? This would be the first I've seen.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Dave

Would be nice if they could show some of the photo matches they have. Hopefully they will put them up as the auction moves into the opening stages.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Mike

Here is some more info on the glove, I assume the photo in the article is one of
The photo's used to match, interesting info on who authenticated the glove and the bat, also stated that the glove was found in an office used by Robinson.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...t-for-auction/
Old 04-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Doug Goodman

Restored to “preserve the historical significance of this historic relic".