NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Ted-looks like you have your own "super prints"!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Dave

One can never have enough white-bordered Cobb's......if you cannot find the one you are looking for, then make a fake

TED Z
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Steve Birmingham

Am I the only one that noticed the PSA plank and the SGC Plank are different?

Look at the lower right corner area, at the fold in the shirtsleeve just next to the right border. One is obviously clear of the border, the other is partly obscured by the border. Did the restorations move the borders in, or are they printed differently?

Steve B
Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Am I the only one that noticed the PSA plank and the SGC Plank are different?

Look at the lower right corner area, at the fold in the shirtsleeve just next to the right border. One is obviously clear of the border, the other is partly obscured by the border. Did the restorations move the borders in, or are they printed differently?
Of course they're different. They aren't the same card. Those are the only two restored 150s that I know of...
Old 04-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

Of course, they're different individual cards, I was writing about the variation like difference in the cropping of the picture.

The upper SGC card is cropped differently from the PSA card and the lower SGC card. Unless the restorers moved the border in quite a bit.

Steve B
Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I was writing about the variation like difference in the cropping of the picture. The upper SGC card is cropped differently from the PSA card and the lower SGC card. Unless the restorers moved the border in quite a bit.
I see that, too. There is more left armpit in the PSA restored example. But, hey, if you're willing to pay for a restored example, you're evidently willing to pay for less original armpit!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Steve B

There is something strange about that SGC-A Plank (in post #42). I've compared it with a dozen other Plank's,
and none of their pictures are shifted to the right as that one is. This shift is ever so slight; nevertheless, it is
significant enough to raise some questions regarding that card.

Has anyone here seen a similar looking Plank ?

TED Z
Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM
pete ullman

so if you shine a black light on that plank...will it light up like bioluminescence in Vieques under a thin moon? Will it shine like a menorah on day 8? Maybe the rt(anatomic left) armpit appears diffferent because the whole image was painted thereby enlarging the appearance. The left side appears the same distance from border to neck/arm area...its just the rt armit detail is more vivid. Or am I not seeing it?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Re Re-Fronting gone wrong

Is this what happens if the glue doesn't stick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1910-T206-Ty-Cob...ht_1288wt_1140
Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Scott

Default psa/sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlychild View Post
HA! I'm the village idiot, so I imagine there are plenty more out there that can do this. I just happened to stumble upon the technique by accident while doing some experiments that many would consider unthinkable.

I've always been under the impression that cards are just a single piece of cardboard with ink...and if it was done once it could be done again.

Yep, it was free and I only live about 30 miles away. I wasn't planning on showing them tips, I was going to give them step by step instructions along with the formulas and how to's. Then they would know exactly what to look for, since it's not always black and white. Was also going show them security concerns with their flips, which as predicted, is now a big problem.

cant PSA/SGC just go to your website?

just wondering, i looked at you site, amazing! if i was a deceitful, lying thief, i would LOVE YOUR SITE for the Info it gave me to be bad!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
If i was a deceitful, lying thief, i would LOVE YOUR SITE for the Info it gave me to be bad!
That's the flip side to education -- you educate the good guys and they learn how to avoid the bad guys; but then the bad guys also learn how to outsmart the good guys.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Jim D

Well if you get good enough at being bad, you can at least get a job at Coach's Corner!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Kevin S.

Quote:
cant PSA/SGC just go to your website?

just wondering, i looked at you site, amazing! if i was a deceitful, lying thief, i would LOVE YOUR SITE for the Info it gave me to be bad!

SGC and PSA would already know about these types of alterations. Just thought PSA would benefit from knowing how the some of the advanced techniques were done in detail. Both GAI and Beckett adjusted their security measures based on what info they were personally given.

Tough subject to write about. Give too much info and it becomes a learning tool. Not enough and they complain that it not enough, which is typically the case.

For the most part I just try to show the end results and some things to look for. There are far too many steps to complete almost each alteration that it requires more knowledge than what is supplied. For the most part, if you were a deceitful lying thief, there is "probably" not enough there that could turn you into a successful card doctor right away.

Kevin

Last edited by onlychild; 04-30-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlychild View Post
SGC and PSA would already know about these types of alterations. Just thought PSA would benefit from knowing how the some of the advanced techniques were done in detail. Both GAI and Beckett adjusted their security measures based on what info they were personally given.

Tough subject to write about. Give too much info and it becomes a learning tool. Not enough and they complain that it not enough, which is typically the case.

For the most part I just try to show the end results and some things to look for. There are far too many steps to complete almost each alteration that it requires more knowledge than what is supplied. For the most part, if you were a deceitful lying thief, there is "probably" not enough there that could turn you into a successful card doctor right away.

Kevin
i understand
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM

Default weighing in

I'd rather have a slightly altered or restored card in an authentic holder than a beater in a 10 holder so I agree with Wonka and Jim.
P.S. This week the wife and I have been married 39 years and she has tolerated my card collecting for 25 of them
Old 05-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Barry Sloate

Bob- this Tuesday is my 25th and Judy has tolerated it from day one!