NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Justin Wilson

Default Why is this card in a GAI holder ?

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=58252

So, what prevented this card from eventually getting into a PSA or SGC holder ? I highly doubt it was from lack of trying.

Looking forward to reading some expert opinions.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 08-16-2019, 08:28 AM
Anson

The card looks good. I'm guessing it's a min grade issue with the light seam through the middl, marks, and stains on the back.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Ben

i have been thinking the same thing.... even if it grades authentic, it still is a nice looking card.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Ben

"Several moderate to heavy creases are present across the card front and would cause us to grade this card more conservatively despite a superior appearance."

would probably grade a 1.5 at best with PSA or SGC. maybe a 2.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:42 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

The folks at REA also seem to think it is over graded: "Several moderate to heavy creases are present across the card front and would cause us to grade this card more conservatively despite a superior appearance." I would suspect the consignor thinks it will do better in a GAI 3 then a PSA or SGC 1.5 or worse.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Ben

but it would do better in a psa/sgc 1.5 than a GAI 3!!!

still a badass card!!!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Red ink on the back might also get it a MK qualifier in a PSA holder. I'd guess a FAIR 1.5 MK.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:06 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBen View Post
but it would do better in a psa/sgc 1.5 than a GAI 3!!!

still a badass card!!!
Probably right, but there is also something going on in the top and bottom border as well (on second look, maybe what I'm seeing is just a shadow) so no guarantee that it won't come back a 1 or A. In that case, the GAI 3 looks like an even better option, especially if REA pushes the grading fee to the consignor. Depending on company used, the grading fee alone for this card is going to be $500-$1k.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers

Last edited by x2drich2000; 08-16-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Bottom border looks messed with to me.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:36 AM

I have to imagine that if this card could have gotten into a numerical SGC or PSA flip, it would be in one; maybe the owner determined a GAI 3 is better than a an SGC or PSA "A".
Old 08-16-2019, 09:40 AM

Interesting, how this inferior looking SGC 1 has a higher bid right now.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=58263
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

In addition to REA's comments about the card being overgraded, look at how banged up the holder is; especially at the bottom corners and on the back.

It "almost" looks like the slab may have been tampered with (and the original card switched for a lesser one?????).

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 08-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Brian Dwyer

I wanted to clear a few things up on this card to correct any misinformation and potentially provide some clarification on a few things.

We received the card on consignment in the GAI 3 holder. It had been in our consignor's collection for roughly a decade.

We did not attempt to cross this card over. While the consignor has generally allowed us to do that on GAI cards in the past where we feel the same grade or a close grade is attainable, he has generally set the downgrade floor at a one grade maximum. In this case, we feel the card would very likely grade a 1.5 so we did not even bother paying the fee, which can be substantial, as we did not feel a crossover within his parameters was attainable.

The card measures full size and shows no signs of alteration or evidence of trimming that we can detect. There are no signs of tampering with the case. The GAI gasket creates a shadow on the front top and bottom borders. While we cannot guarantee what any grading company would do with the card if given the chance, we feel the right outcome for this card would be a 1.5.

Brian
Old 08-16-2019, 10:56 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Either way that is a beautiful card. Way nicer than the SGC one at the same price.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonjc08 View Post
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=58252

So, what prevented this card from eventually getting into a PSA or SGC holder ? I highly doubt it was from lack of trying.

Looking forward to reading some expert opinions.

Thanks,

Justin
Because it's worth more in the GAI holder.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

With all the expert graders on here, I think you should all apply for a job with a grading company. Grading from a picture is nonsense.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
With all the expert graders on here, I think you should all apply for a job with a grading company. Grading from a picture is nonsense.
Only if you're this guy..... who may just be the head grader at PSA

Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

He is overqualified. I am always leery of cards in GAI holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Only if you're this guy..... who may just be the head grader at PSA

Last edited by Leon; 08-18-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He is overqualified. I am always leery of cards in GAI holders.

Me too Leon. I recently broke out a 1952 Bowman Musial and got an even cross into PSA. I guess you have to be the judge yourself of the card in the holder. And willing to roll the dice. IMHO, it HAS to be cracked out. I would never attempt a crossover in their case.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default sometimes

GAI cards are just fine. It was a strange transitional period but when they first came around I decided to have them entomb my N29 cards and subsequently a few Sweet Caporal sealed packs. Quite a few of the cards were labeled "first graded" as a result. For what it's worth I no longer have any GAI cards :-) One of the packs however realized over 2000.00.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 AM

Default Gai

I cannot speak about this card, but I can say some (positive) things about the original incarnation of GAI.

When I first started collecting pre-war, I had a bunch of cards graded by GAI (over a decade ago). These were mostly Cracker Jacks, and all I wanted was the protection afforded by a holder. I really wasn't into grading or looking at grading companies under the microscope because I am a collector and had no intention of selling.

My cards were very stringently graded by someone there (I think his name was Baker?), and in fact, I thought they were very conservatively graded. So I took a handful of them over to SGC just for fun.

3 out of 6 actually graded higher than the GAI grade, one did not cross over to a higher grade, and 2 out of 6 remained at the same grade.

So I think that it is a mistake to assume that because it is in a GAI holder, it must have been "messed with." If fact, good deals can be had for this very same reason. Just my opinion.
B.rian D.ynlacht

Last edited by Brian; 08-18-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Mike Baker was the grader and part owner of GAI. Mike used to be head grader at PSA prior to him leaving and starting GAI. The first couple of years their grades were spot on but then things started slipping after that. Not sure what happened. If you have a card that was graded within the first couple of years of their inception the grade should be considered correct.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I cannot speak about this card, but I can say some (positive) things about the original incarnation of GAI.

When I first started collecting pre-war, I had a bunch of cards graded by GAI (over a decade ago). These were mostly Cracker Jacks, and all I wanted was the protection afforded by a holder. I really wasn't into grading or looking at grading companies under the microscope because I am a collector and had no intention of selling.

My cards were very stringently graded by someone there (I think his name was Baker?), and in fact, I thought they were very conservatively graded. So I took a handful of them over to SGC just for fun.

3 out of 6 actually graded higher than the GAI grade, one did not cross over to a higher grade, and 2 out of 6 remained at the same grade.

So I think that it is a mistake to assume that because it is in a GAI holder, it must have been "messed with." If fact, good deals can be had for this very same reason. Just my opinion.
B.rian D.ynlacht
well said. your opinion is held by the majority of collectors if i’m not mistaking.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:46 PM
mark sanders

Default "Buy the CARD, not the HOLDER"

personally, I find it somewhat amusing that we all seem to agree with this axiom...
except when it comes to gai.
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 08-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Justin Wilson

Thanks for all the responses. I placed a bid in extended bidding, but didn’t come out on top.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Jim B.

My Lajoie just loves his little holder along with a few of his friends - Baker graded these way way back. GAI was good when they first started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 106_Lajoie.jpg (74.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 181_Ruth.jpg (73.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 1_Cobb.jpg (71.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 2_Ruth.jpg (70.7 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by BabyRuth; 08-19-2019 at 03:38 PM.