NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
D.B. Cooper

Default Card idiosyncracies you never noticed?

Just noticed this a few days ago. If you'll look at Dode's pitching hand, you'll see he appears to be holding a grapefruit sized orb that is virtually the same color as uniform, but slightly lighter. If you'll look closer it would appear that orb was added to obscure a baseball in his hand that didn't look quite right. Add to that a peculiar finger shaped shadow that appears incongruously directly between his pinkie and ring finger --- which, frankly, look more like a thumb and a forefinger --- and you have a genuinely funky looking card.

Any others?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Criss.jpg (43.4 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-20-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:12 PM

The extra finger is truly bizarre. But don't you think the big grey oval is just supposed to be part of his uniform that was indented a bit toward his body?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Jason

Default agree on the orb,...

I think that is just an illusion from the fold/creasse depicted in his jersey...but it does truly look as though there was a baseball being held in that hand, before the artist realized that a guy shouldn't still be holding the ball at that advanced a position in his throwing motion...so he removed the ball and was left with a quandry about how to depict the thumb...

agreed though, one of those unusla image interpretation issues when you look closely enough at something!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Chris Counts

It reminds me of the strange 1957 Topps card of Mickey Mantle, which I must have seen a hundred times before I noticed the blacked out figure behind him ...
Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
D.B. Cooper

I agree they were trying to make it look like part of his jersey, but they didn't do a very good job of it.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Barry Arnold

Default novum for me

I only recently found out that the arm being tagged by Schmidt on my E92 Dockman actually belonged to Davis---so I recently bought a Davis so I could have both halves of the photograph the two cards cames from.
Everyone else in the world may have known this but not this Tobacco guy and I
found it most fascinating.
Lew Lipset continues to teach me.

best,
barry
Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
It reminds me of the strange 1957 Topps card of Mickey Mantle, which I must have seen a hundred times before I noticed the blacked out figure behind him ...
Never noticed that until you just mentioned it.

Gee thanks! Now I won't be able to stop looking at that!