NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Kevin R

Default Mickey Mantle Autograph Opinions requested

Just had this come into my website. What do you think about it?

Humble thanks for the help!

Last edited by CollectiblesNJ; 08-05-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
David Linardy

Default Mantle mattingly

Fwiw I have seen a several of these, all of which were pre prints
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 PM
James Wymer

If there was actual ink on the photo I believe the Mantle is good, but the photo has that 2nd generation look to it.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

You go down in flames if you buy something framed. Wow. I am poet and don't know it. Or not.

It is a pass. More like third or fourth generation.

Last edited by shelly; 08-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
You go down in flames if you buy something framed. Wow. I am poet and don't know it. Or not.

It is a pass. More like third or fourth generation.
That is funny you said that I started to call it Next Generation, but I did not want to confuse anyone. I posted a thread a couple of years ago about why someone would purchase a framed item and I took a beating. I agree Shelly frames are for hiding things. There can be legitimate companies and items that would not follow that rule, but not for me.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Kevin R

It is part of a larger lot so I haven't gotten to see it yet. Till then not really anyway for me to tell if its a pre-print till I can inspect it.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Kevin R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
That is funny you said that I started to call it Next Generation, but I did not want to confuse anyone. I posted a thread a couple of years ago about why someone would purchase a framed item and I took a beating. I agree Shelly frames are for hiding things. There can be legitimate companies and items that would not follow that rule, but not for me.
Frames are for displaying. People might use them to hide things but I always have top flight items framed before offering them for sale. It adds to the eye appeal and the final sale price imho
Old 08-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Banned

JSA can authenticate through a frame through their own admission so they must know something the rest of us don't.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-05-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectiblesNJ View Post
Frames are for displaying. People might use them to hide things but I always have top flight items framed before offering them for sale. It adds to the eye appeal and the final sale price imho
Why ask if you wont take advice. You are also the same person who does not know his Mantles from his rear end. You will never get an opinion from me again.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Fine but any item that is actually being sold should be taken out of the frame, inspected, then sold.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Chuck Tapia

I have quite a few pieces that I have had professionally framed with Cherry wood, archive UV glass and felt acid free matting. Usually $200-$300 depending on size.

The pictures of the items do not do them justice. Some have stickers on the actual item and others don't. I've shown them from time to time. If I ever sold them, which I won't (permanent home office decor), I certainly wouldn't take the item out of the frame. Someone would have to buy them as is. Ripping them out of "these" frames would be counter productive. Here's a couple examples...

The fact that JSA & or PSA authenticate "through the frame" and then tag the frame is moronic.

While your Mantle looks good to me, there is ALWAYS a chance that any photo is a copy. If PSA & JSA can tell this through the frame, which I don't think they can, more power to them. I can hardly tell with a 20X magnifying glass directly on the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy yogi (2).jpg (69.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg My Mantle 16 x 20.jpg (75.9 KB, 158 views)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

psa and jsa CAN'T tell the difference through the frame, that's why its ridiculous for them to say they can.

and if anyone buys something framed without taking it out, they take their chances. if you take it out, you can tell if it is a copy or not. IF the seller doesnt want to take it out of the frame, that is their choice, but the buyer can refuse to buy it too until they are satisfied to the buyers satisfaction that it is not a copy. A lot of times taking it out of the frame means removing the glass, not taking it out of the matting. This basically goes for buyers who are buying something from someone they don't know. If it is from a trusted fellow I know, and he has told me that he has previously seen it out of the frame and it is not a copy, I would believe him and feel comfortable it is not a copy, if that guy was someone I knew and trusted implicitly.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-06-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The bottom line is that you dont purchase a framed item. It is not worth it. I sold a nice piece of art work. I sold it framed and told the customer to have it removed so it could be examined and then placed back into the frame. Total cost $45. Cheap at any price. If he was not happy with it he could return it.

Last edited by shelly; 08-06-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I have quite a few pieces that I have had professionally framed with Cherry wood, archive UV glass and felt acid free matting. Usually $200-$300 depending on size.

The pictures of the items do not do them justice. Some have stickers on the actual item and others don't. I've shown them from time to time. If I ever sold them, which I won't (permanent home office decor), I certainly wouldn't take the item out of the frame. Someone would have to buy them as is. Ripping them out of "these" frames would be counter productive. Here's a couple examples...

The fact that JSA & or PSA authenticate "through the frame" and then tag the frame is moronic.

While your Mantle looks good to me, there is ALWAYS a chance that any photo is a copy. If PSA & JSA can tell this through the frame, which I don't think they can, more power to them. I can hardly tell with a 20X magnifying glass directly on the photo.
Hey Fudd, what size is that Triple Crown photo? Someone was selling the exact same photo with the signature in a different spot at the National, I think it was an 24x18 for $2,100
:O
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Hey Fudd, what size is that Triple Crown photo? Someone was selling the exact same photo with the signature in a different spot at the National, I think it was an 24x18 for $2,100
Why would anyone pay that much for a litho?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Chuck - those are beautiful pieces. Where did you have the engraving done on your plates?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Why would anyone pay that much for a litho?
well it was signed... and was in a nice frame.. there is a sucker at every price Shelly
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
well it was signed... and was in a nice frame.. there is a sucker at every price Shelly
I have never been to the National, but in my experience at other large conventions is that pricing is typically at "premium" levels. Maybe they are looking for an impulse buyer with money burning a hole in his pocket or the prices are bumped to pay for the high table fees. Either way, when I see fantasyland pricing, I figure they built in plenty of buffer to negotiate down quite a bit.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Wow I got put in my place just kidding I am sure that reads much different than you meant it. Chuck I agree with you. You can do whatever you like with your item, but if I did not know you I would not buy it. I also agree with Travis I would purchase a framed item only from someone I trust.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
This Mantle piece is a 16 x 20 Photo (yes it came with a JSA sticker on the photo itself & letter) This one is NOT a litho but an original photo from David Spindel, 16/300

Here's a few more pics of the piece before I had it re-matted & framed years ago. Paid $350 for the item and $200 for the framing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 16 x 20 (2).jpg (44.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 16 x 20.jpg (61.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg My Mantle 16 x 20 2.jpg (65.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Chuck - those are beautiful pieces. Where did you have the engraving done on your plates?

Thanks,
Matt
Ahhhh the plates.... my buddy & I joke about those as I usually like to "Plate" everything.

I use Fast Frame in Simi Valley. They are franchised and the owner there does quite a bit of memorabilia...she's always able dress up the piece with some kind of a plate. LOL

here's a close up of the yogi campy that we tried to match from the cheap original scoreboard issued item (No offense Ken-LOL great piece) the original frame and plate were flimsy, probably made by Tony "don't call me Jorge" Podsada, the King of Florida and friends with Nick Burzyck. tried to match the original black printing on gold plate.

This Mantle is black plate with gold engraving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy yogi close up.jpg (74.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0317.jpg (70.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Chuck, my question is. Is it a picture of a litho or is it a picture of a picture that looks like a litho. Danny Kay will try and show you what I am trying to say.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzs-Lz5i108

Last edited by shelly; 08-07-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Chuck, my question is. Is it a picture of a litho or is it a picture of a picture that looks like a litho. Danny Kay will try and show you what I am trying to say.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzs-Lz5i108
ixne on the ithoL, Photographic paper. Not a copy of a Litho.

You can still buy the Photo not the litho from Spindels sight....albeit not signed by spindel or Mantle. He sells the photo not the litho for 200-300 I think.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Chuck Tapia

Here's one that I used to own....Notice the word "SIGNED COLOR Kodak Photo". This run was Limited to 500.

http://www.spenceloa.com/Search.aspx...eNumber=X16018

and the one I kept...

http://www.spenceloa.com/Search.aspx...eNumber=B94187

Description reads Litho...but it is clearly a Kodak Photo like the other one....also says it has one signature, when it's clearly signed by the artist as well.

JSA are idiots...you can clearly see it's an embossed photo from this pic...and I had it framed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 16 x 20 (2).jpg (44.1 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 08-08-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Well, if PSA says it.
Nice items.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Well, if PSA says it.
Nice items.
right those jerk offs @ JSA can't tell litho paper from Kodak film...

here's the Spindel website

http://www.spindelvisions.com/shop/4...ll-photos?&p=7

one woulda thunk that JSA authenticated the item right through the glass, but No. The ugly sticker is on this gorgeous limited #'d photo. They have the nerve to call it litho. who really gives a s*** It's a 7 inch long Cadiillac Mantle Signature on a 16 X 20 Kodak Photo, with clear and sharp colors. Artist Print Limited # 16/ 300. Spindel commissioned this piece with stuff from The Barry Halper Collection. I wonder how much stuff is fake in the photo.