NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2024, 06:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1862 Beaver Wyk Albumen Photo

Looking for some sleuthing for this puppy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beaver3.jpg (52.9 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg beaver1.jpg (44.6 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg beaver2.jpg (53.0 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg beaver4.jpg (35.1 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg beaver5.jpg (42.9 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg beaver6.jpg (46.5 KB, 551 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-11-2024 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:40 AM
pete ullman

cool! looks like the son may have hand colored an old pic of his dear old dad!!!!
Old 01-11-2024, 07:33 AM
GaryPassamonte

That's a very early one, Leon. And an unusual format.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 01-11-2024 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:43 AM
D Brown

Beaverwyck was a very early name for Albany, and the placename still exists (as Beverwyck) for a neighborhood or area there. I don't think the name was used anywhere else. Seems like there were prominent Vails around there.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
Beaverwyck was a very early name for Albany, and the placename still exists (as Beverwyck) for a neighborhood or area there. I don't think the name was used anywhere else. Seems like there were prominent Vails around there.
I, along with Scott B, did a few minutes of searching. I probably did a little
more than he, before and after. We found that tie in. I am sort of surprised not more turned up. It's an unusual name, but then again, it's 162 yrs old. I will have better scans in a few days.

Last edited by Leon; 01-11-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:58 PM

Default Brief reference in Base Ball Pioneers

Leon, I was trying for that myself. There is a very brief reference to the Beaverwyck team from Albany playing in the 1860’s.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:13 PM
Scott Russell

times like this make selling the trove of 1860's - 1890's New York newspapers with baseball content very bittersweet. I bet something would've turned up.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-11-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:43 PM
Glenn

Love it! Great image Leon!

Glenn
Old 01-12-2024, 08:33 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

The dream would be that this is some relation to William Vail of Knickerbocker legend as he would be in the relative area. However, unless it is distant he had no close relatives of that name, I could find listed.

The middle initial does help limit the list as I found very few applicable Henry T Vails, and no Henry J. Vails in the applicable age range (I used J as early fancy cursive can be tough at times to be definite)

I have a feeling this is him on page 342.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moa/ABT...pal+government

This is the petition to have Brooklyn join New York City, which he has signed under the following -

"We, the undersigned, merchants and business men of the city
of Brooklyn, respectfully petition the Honorable Legislature,
through its joint subcommittee on consolidation, to take no final
action of any kind on consolidation until the matter shall have
been submitted to the people of Brooklyn for a further expression of their opinion."

Based on the date of Feb 25th 1896 and he is recognized as a business owner, the age would be reasonable (50ish?). Unfortunately, the business address of 46 Third Ave in Brooklyn was rebuilt in 1900, so no photos I could find of that period. However, I had assumed he was a grocer and the newer building was his that was built.

It's currently vacant and in rough shape - https://www.loopnet.com/property/46-...047-001850025/

In the 1903 city record here on page 4556, he was granted a license to sell and deliver milk for the Third street address-

https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover

I then was able to locate his middle name of Terbush, using a little deduction. As luck would have it, the Vail family has a published full genealogy, found here from 1902 - https://www.seekingmyroots.com/membe...es/G006866.pdf

This shows Henry born Sept 18, 1845. Page 303 (297 page count), indeed shows him as a grocer in Brooklyn at the time of 1902. (also about 17 in the photo if this is the player)

Good news, bad news on William Vail. That name is listed in the Genealogy and the birth date is 1819 (Knickerbocker Vail is thought to have been born in 1817 or 1818). Bad news is he was listed as a farmer in Pennsylvania and then Wisconsin.

Granted, this is the best I could do in about an hour of research. However, I think it could be some decent leads on your mystery ballplayer.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-12-2024 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:13 AM

Great job, Justin! I love this type of research. Fun, isn't it?

I don't know about you guys, but my initial reaction was a huge cringe to that kid's handiwork. He obviously used one of those twin-tipped red and blue pencil crayons that were popular for many years and can still be found in antique stores on occasion.

Is there any means of removing it? I doubt it.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

First of all, hats off to Justin. Great job and very appreciated. Maybe more will come out but regardless that is fantastic.

With regards to the kids coloring work? To me, it adds to the piece. Black and white (or aged tan etc..) is a little boring.

The coloring is like folk art. I really like it, and all things being equal, would pay at least a little more for one with this type of coloring, than without. But it is all very subjective. The old "beauty in they eye of the beholder" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post

I don't know about you guys, but my initial reaction was a huge cringe to that kid's handiwork. He obviously used one of those twin-tipped red and blue pencil crayons that were popular for many years and can still be found in antique stores on occasion.

Last edited by Leon; 01-12-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:04 PM

The coloring provides the uniform colors which otherwise may not have been known. Of course, this assumes they were not added much later and were a guess. The only thing I wish was not added is the writing on the bib. As for Vail’s they were definitely from the Albany area and the Pioneers book even has a reference to another Vail providing the grounds for games for better known teams.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:45 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

+1 agree love the research and love the history

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-12-2024, 04:08 PM
Robert Klevens

I found this 1865 census from Riverhead in Suffolk County, NY with a Henry T. Vail listed at age 19.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hv.jpg (137.3 KB, 303 views)
Old 01-12-2024, 07:19 PM
D Brown

Quote:
The coloring looks like it could be period, 1860s. There's lots of examples of very crude hand-coloring, especially on paper prints, especially by amateurs. (The daguerreotype colorists were much better!)

for example:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1448496...de-visite-hand

But if it smells and feels like crayon, it's crayon.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The photo came in. It's on paper stock like the page, with the die cut picture, was in an album before. You can see the albumen in the photo under magnification... My 2nd oldest baseball item. Very happy to add it to my eclectic collection... btw, it's not crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
The coloring looks like it could be period, 1860s. There's lots of examples of very crude hand-coloring, especially on paper prints, especially by amateurs. (The daguerreotype colorists were much better!)

for example:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1448496...de-visite-hand

But if it smells and feels like crayon, it's crayon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1862photo300.jpg (182.8 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-17-2024 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I asked the seller if he had any info on the photo, from his consignor. This is what he said -

"Not much else for information. It was kind of an odd situation that someone took some albumen photographs and glued them into some album pages with alot of law school students and New York City politicians and nothing at all baseball or fireman related for some reason. The people that had it last didn't know anything about it and just wanted to get rid of pages. Someone over time put all the pages in plastic sleeves. I did just remember that the album did have a dedication page that read- Thomas W. Cantwell Autograph Book 705 Broadway N.Y. January 1862. Hope this helps..Chuck"

Old 01-19-2024, 01:47 PM
Jay Cee

Very nice item Leon and congrats.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Very nice item Leon and congrats.
Thanks...It's a very esoteric item, but I really like it, and it goes well in my collection of misfits!