NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-24-2018, 06:44 PM

Default HOF members on card question

Hello,
for those that collect HOF autographs on trading cards/baseball cards, how many of the 323 HOF players are possible to obtain on baseball cards? (ex: 250 HOF members of 323 HOF members possible) Thanks
Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

People right away are going to ask, "What represents a 'card' exactly??" and then down the rabbit hole you go.

Postcards, cutouts from newspapers or product boxes, etc., etc.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 PM

thats why I said in my post I said "trading card/baseball card" such as topps and bowman. I thought that "baseball card" would be pretty clear and obvious. but in case it wasnt, I meant "baseball card" such as Topps and Bowman, Fleer, Upper Deck, Score, Donruss, etc

Last edited by homerunhitter; 01-24-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
thats why I said in my post I said "trading card/baseball card" such as topps and bowman. I thought that "baseball card" would be pretty clear and obvious.
I know you did, but since there are so many contrarians around here, basic logic is often thrown out the window when asking simple questions.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Well, anyone who appeared on a career-contemporary baseball card is possible, since they were alive when the card was issued.

For anyone else, you'd just need to determine who appeared on a post-career baseball card while they were still alive.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 AM
Michael

Default Hof

I count anyone on a topps size card or smaller like a T206, playball, etc. I do not count exhibits as cards. I probably have about 200 but don't have an exact count,
Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 AM
J Stone

When you start getting into the deadball era and Negro leagues the definition of "card" comes into play. Does a postcard count? Does it have to be a mass-produced card issued with candy, food or tobacco?

Just about all of the players may have appeared on some kind of card but there are probably dozens for whom a signed card (genuine) simply does not exist. And what about executives, writers and broadcasters in the Hall?

Card collectors, I think, tend to be "set" focused, whereas autograph collectors don't usually think that way.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
When you start getting into the deadball era and Negro leagues the definition of "card" comes into play. Does a postcard count? Does it have to be a mass-produced card issued with candy, food or tobacco?

Just about all of the players may have appeared on some kind of card but there are probably dozens for whom a signed card (genuine) simply does not exist. And what about executives, writers and broadcasters in the Hall?

Card collectors, I think, tend to be "set" focused, whereas autograph collectors don't usually think that way.
+1
Old 01-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Hall of Fame and subsets on cards seem to be collected by many collectors. I am working on a 500 HR club on cards. The reason I chose cards was for 24 of the 27 members of the 500 club there are recent cards issued by Topps Upper Deck Donruss etc. Where authenticity has been guaranteed / witnessed. That left 3 I have a 39 play ball Ott and there are Foxx' s mostly on fleer 60/61 but I will hold out for a Goudey or play ball And Ruth for now is out of my price range. Mostly because there are so so many collectors that have Ruth on a card on their want list.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:25 PM

thank you all for your responses. I am referring to just BASEBALL CARDS! not pennants, not index cards, not programs, not lineup cards, not grandmas silverware, not helmets, not balls, not bats, just BASEBALL CARDS! and would love for someone too please give me some guidance on BASEBALL CARDS possible! I know I have seen it posted on this forum before but cant seem to find what the exact number is. Ive searched and searched and searched with no luck finding that thread/post..so would love to know.....how many BASEBALL CARDS would be reasonably expected to obtain by someone that collects baseball cards. so far ive seen/read at least 200 hof members are possible..but are more possible? thank you for your help.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:16 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
thank you all for your responses. I am referring to just BASEBALL CARDS!
I don't know if you mentioned this or not, but for your purposes are you only interested in cards issued during a player's career?

In that context, a collection of baseball cards - and for the sake of this discussion I'm only taking about BASEBALL CARDS! as definied by homerunhiter - a collection of signed baseball cards of Hall of Famers who did NOT have a card issued during their playing career might also be a fun category to pursue.

And then there's another category, Hall of Famers who never played. There may be a few managers who would fall into either category, but when you get to the executives and umpires that's a whole different thing.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default A Corollary Question

How many Hall of Famers do not even know what a Donruss is, let alone have seen one to sign?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:51 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
How many Hall of Famers do not even know what a Donruss is, let alone have seen one to sign?
I think Don Russ and Berk Ross are on next year's ballot

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Michael

Default # on cards

If you want to spend the time go to this list
https://natesbaseballcardtradingco.w...reference.html
add on the people from the last few years. subtract all those whose first card was after they died and you will have your answer. Realize that alot are probably non existant- like Mathewson on a card or Dreyfuss, etc even though they had cards out during their lifetime, I doubt they ever signed any
Old 01-30-2018, 05:53 PM

Default HOF members on card question

Well so far frankbmd you have answered your own question, 200.
Everyone else went down the rabbit hole