NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Default Assembling a Vintage Set

So, my main collecting interest over the last few years was set collecting for vintage football cards. I managed to complete a couple sets in that time and I really enjoyed it. Although my main focus for baseball is mainly specific players and cards...I can't help but think about putting together a baseball set. I think it would be challenging and a lot of fun.

I know that baseball sets tend to be much larger than football and more expensive. So, it will take some time to do one. I also need help deciding what set to pick because there are SO many factors and I tend to over analyze things. So, I'd be interested in your opinions about what is a good set to choose...basically if you could only do one set what would you pick.

Here are some things that I'm looking for:

1. Standard-sized cards. I want to put the bulk of the set in 9 pouch pages in an album so standard size is critical...so I believe that is 1957 Topps or later.
2. Milwaukee Braves. I grew up as a huge Braves fan and there is something special about the years the team was in Milwaukee. So, I want a set where the Braves were in Milwaukee. So, that would be 1965 or earlier.

Those are the two big things. I would also like to pick a set with nice esthetic design. Of course...I nice complement of stars is always good (but I think every set from 57-65 should have that).

Also, something interesting is also nice. For example, I really like how the 1957 Topps set has the Giants and Dodgers still in NY. I also like how the 1957 set has season stats for every year the player played to date (as do several other sets). On the other hand, I think the set is somewhat unaesthetic.

Anyway, I would love to hear your opinions. I don't want to hear :"collect what you like" because I like them all. What I want is pros and cons to try and decide which set has the most going for it.

I don't have a super tight budget but I'm not wealthy either...but I think all these sets fall into a reasonable price range for me given enough time.

Last edited by CamaroDMD; 05-05-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Talking football.
I went for my favorites (rookie cards)
Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Walter Payton, then went for some Bradshaw, Joe Greene and OJ simpson.
I also have a unopened pack of 84's graded.

I tried several times and failed at Jim Brown, Sammy baugh, Red Grange, Staubach
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Although not aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, my choice would be the 1957 Topps. For me there are several reasons:

1st - It has early golden age of ball team names (NY Giants & Brooklyn Dodgers) before being relocated to California.

2nd - First year of the now standard size baseball card

3rd - Has a good assortment of hall of famers.

4th - Not too terribly expensive to assemble.

5th - That was the year the Milwaukee Braves won their only WS while in Milwaukee.

6th - Warren Spahn, arguably the greatest left-handed pitcher of all time won his only Cy Young award at the tender age of 36.

I too grew up and still to this day a huge Braves fan.

Good luck on your endeavor and have fun with whatever set you select.

r/
Frank

It looks like you might have already made up your mind with that nice 1957 Mantle.

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-05-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: saw the OP's 1957 Mantle purchase
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Bill Gregory

While I love the 1957 Topps set for the reasons mentioned, I'm going to work on the 1956 Topps Braves as part of my early pickups. Like you, I'm a HUGE Braves/Brewers fan being from Milwaukee. So while I work on buying the big 3 Aaron, Mathews and Spahn, I'll also be looking to add Joe Adcock, Lew Burdette, Bob Buhl, Del Crandall, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with either season. I'll also be buying the 1953 Bowman Color (even though they show the Boston Brave unis, they were in Milwaukee by then The Mathews and Spahn cards are just gorgeous!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
Although not aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, my choice would be the 1957 Topps. For me there are several reasons:

1st - It has early golden age of ball team names (NY Giants & Brooklyn Dodgers) before being relocated to California.

2nd - First year of the now standard size baseball card

3rd - Has a good assortment of hall of famers.

4th - Not too terribly expensive to assemble.

5th - That was the year the Milwaukee Braves won their only WS while in Milwaukee.

6th - Warren Spahn, arguably the greatest left-handed pitcher of all time won his only Cy Young award at the tender age of 36.

I too grew up and still to this day a huge Braves fan.

Good luck on your endeavor and have fun with whatever set you select.

r/
Frank

It looks like you might have already made up your mind with that nice 1957 Mantle.
I have been considering the '57 set for all those reasons. I didn't buy the '57 Mantle with the plan of assembling a set...but the fact that I have it already does help. I also really like the fact that there is a Ted Williams in this set. Honestly, the only things that the '57 has against it IMHO are the following 3 things: unaesthetic design, no Roger Maris (off by 1 year) and I don't care for the Hank Aaron error (a real shame in my eyes). To be honest, before I posted this thread it was the set I was leaning more towards.

I was thinking about the 1962 Topps set too...but when I was doing some research I found that many players seem to have multiple varieties for each card...including multiple photos. I was thinking that a "numbers" set would be a reasonable but a true "complete" set would be a whole different challenge. I also don't think the design is "attractive" but it does have a certain 1960s feel. I also like the Babe Ruth series in the set...but then again, there are varieties within that series. I also don't care that they only included a players 1961 stats on the back.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Bill Gregory

Oh man, I never noticed Aaron batting lefty on the '57 card. His MVP season, too. You think somebody at Topps would have noticed that. Still doesn't ruin the card for me, but that's messed up.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 PM

How about the '55 set? It's super small, barely over 200 cards, and only has one really stopper, the Clemente rookie (but hey at least it's no '52 Mantle), and it's a damn sight to behold, Topps at it's most brilliant, colorful and saturated. You practically need sunglasses to look at them!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
How about the '55 set? It's super small, barely over 200 cards, and only has one really stopper, the Clemente rookie (but hey at least it's no '52 Mantle), and it's a damn sight to behold, Topps at it's most brilliant, colorful and saturated. You practically need sunglasses to look at them!
I think 1955 is the most beautiful set Topps ever did. But, I want a standard sized set I can put in an album. Otherwise, I would be all over the 1955.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM

The size difference is pretty minimal. I thought album pages could take either the large or the standard size. I've certainly seen album pages that can take the large size Topps cards.

The trick with starting a standard set, is they get really, really huge. The '57 set was the largest since the '52, and they only get bigger and bigger as Topps' monopoly grew stronger in the 60s.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

if you want a nice Aaron..look at the 55 johnston cookies--NICE
or the 57 spic n span
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 05-06-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

If you're limiting your choice to '57-'65 Topps because you want to store them in an album, you can get 8 pocket pages that will store '52-'56 Topps. They fit in a standard size ablum.

I like the '56 set for several reasons:

1.) Some of the background action shots are absolutely amazing
2.) Mantle that won't break the bank
3.) Nice 2nd and 3rd year cards of Aaron, Banks, Kaline, Killebrew, Clemente, Koufax - no expensive rookies to buy
4.) Very colorful set
5.) Still a fairly small set compared to '57 and later
6.) No expensive high numbers to fool with
7.) A lot of the player's head shots are the same from previous years
Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Al Richter

Default Sets

Agree with David, my 52-56 Topps sets are all in binders in 8 pocket sheets, and look good that way. Favorite 50s set though is 57. For the 60s it is 67, and for the 70s, 72

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-06-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

My opinions:

'57: Great selection of rookies, no difficult high series to complete. Ted Williams.

'58: No difficult high series, Nice and simple design and colors. Lots of fun variations if you're into that.

'59: Definitely not my favorite. Too much of a repeat of '58s.

'60: My favorite. Love the colors and horizontal photos.

'61: Most difficult high numbers of any '57-'65. Some consider it a bland design but I kind of like it. Also really like the MVP subset.

'62: The "woodies" are polarizing - some love em, some hate em. I'm not a fan but I do really like the Babe Ruth subset. Lots of variations.

'63: Solid set. The Rose RC is an iconic card. The set is very colorful and uses good photos. Lots of semi-high and highs to chase but you can generally find deals on the commons.

'64: My least favorite of the bunch. Uninspiring design, weak rookie selection.

'65: Decent selection of rookies, pleasant card design, relatively easy high numbers.

If you're only going to do one, I'd say don't do '59, '61, '62 or '64. I'm partial to the '60 set but others aren't fans of the horizontal design. Next favorites are probably '57 or '63.

To rank them strictly in order of how much I like the set I'd go: 60, 63, 57, 61, 65, 58, 62, 59, 64

Difficulty to complete ranking: 57, 61, 63, 62, 58, 59, 60, 65, 64
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps set

Great post Robert....except that you are all wrong about the 59s . ( It was the first set I completed )
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Love 59! Bob Gibson RC and a cool Mantle.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Al Richter

Default Gibson

Too bad it's pink. Gibson was never a pink
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Actually, that's totally true. It's SO pink. But Bob is secure in his manhood!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Great post Robert....except that you are all wrong about the 59s . ( It was the first set I completed )
To each his own. I'm just not a fan. I like the '58s much more than the '59s. But I do really like the Gibson. Got a good deal on one for my set a few years ago - it was listed as scuffed. I thought the scan just looked like wax so I took a chance. Got a exmt Gibson RC (after scratching off the wax with pantyhose) for $50.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
Got a good deal on one for my set a few years ago - it was listed as scuffed. I thought the scan just looked like wax so I took a chance. Got a exmt Gibson RC (after scratching off the wax with pantyhose) for $50.
Yes, I accidentally listed that one by mistake. Please send it back to me and I'll refund your $50
Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Patrick N.

Default Analyze

Don't analyze too much, let your gut tell you which card year attracts you most. I am a big fan of the '57 set due to the pre-game action shots with ballparks in background. You may also reconsider building Braves team sets, etc. as you might be spending big $ on non-Braves just to complete a vintage set...would this $ be more wisely purchased on your favorite vintage braves cards from other years? Just a thought as once you start a set it is hard to get out of and you will be spending a lot on rookies, tough series, etc. checklists, stars players like Mantle in order to complete entire set.

Last edited by mintacular; 05-08-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Don't analyze too much, let your gut tell you which card year attracts you most.
Nailed it. Don't let anything else concern you, as far as I'm concerned. I jumped right into the deep end collecting '52s. It's one of the Big Three ballcard sets, and it's a major commitment, especially that Mantle.

But dammit, it is for my money the most beautiful baseball card set ever made. I just adore the look and the size. I've been working on it for close to three years now, and I've got barely a quarter of the set, but that's what makes it fun!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 PM

In a perfect world...I'd do a 1952 set. But to be honest, I don't really know how to even approach it. That would be ideal though.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Lonnie Nagel

55 does it for me.... 8 pocket pages are easily obtainable and they look great in them...just sayin
Old 05-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Ad@m Be11

Based on your guidelines, I'd probably do the 57s or the 60s. The 57s match well with your Milwaukee interests and have a large selection of Hof rookies and a high number series. Basically everything you're looking for. The 60s provide the horizontal look and have great color, which I love. Because of the lack of HOF RCs, it'll be more affordable too.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Chris

Just a thought, but have you considered ditching the traditional set idea and instead going for a complete run of Milwakee Braves cards? In the end, I would imagine it will be about the same number of cards as picking a set from any year, and it will allow you to limit your purchases to just your favorite team.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 AM

I have considered just doing a Braves only set. Is there an easy way to assemble a checklist for something like this?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Al Richter

Default Team set

Once you know what years and what sets you want to utilize you can get to the checklists without to much trouble. For instance see www.teamsets4u.com

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-21-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Once you know what years and what sets you want to utilize you can get to the checklists without to much trouble. For instance see www.teamsets4u.com
+1. That is really a great website.

The good thing about team sets is that you are only collecting players you really like plus you get to purchase several different years and see what actual set appeals the most to you before diving in.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Found this.
You LOVE THIS ONE!! IT HAS MILWAUKEE BRAVES!!!
Unfortunately...tonight is the last day at auction.
Go for this lot...you love it then.
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...mplete-Set-(28)

Ping Bodie, Sam Rice