NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-28-2022, 12:28 PM
John

Default Vintage baseball photographs

Looking to see if anyone has first-hand knowledge or knows of someone who has personally collected baseball photos within the following parameters: 1940s-1950s, black and white 8x10 photos, on photo paper. The backs are blank and have no branding as to the manufacturer like Eastman Kodak Co. So before photo paper had the manufacturer's name put on the back of photo paper. With names on them in a facsimile autographs style.
I should explain, I have a collection of over 100 such photos. No real proof as to what they are. Have had many different people say what they could be, but no first-hand proof.
My thoughts are, if someone has collected these, they might know more. Many of the photos match some baseball cards, down to the exact style, name is exactly the same on photos and cards, even some misspelling. Some photos match some bb cards but no name on them as the photos… The bb cards that match the photos are ...1947 Bond Bread round and square-cornered cards-Bond Bread Exhibits and Premiums. Berk Ross Hit Parade of Champions 1950 and 52. R 423 1950. HRT/RES 1977 reprints of 1947 bb cards. Thanks, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0296 (1).jpg (28.9 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0304.jpg (24.6 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0512.jpg (23.0 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by Johnphotoman; 01-30-2022 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-28-2022, 12:50 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnphotoman View Post
Looking to see if anyone has first-hand knowledge or knows of someone who has personally collected baseball photos within the following parameters: 1940s-1950s, black and white 8x10 photos, on photo paper. The backs are blank and have no branding as to the manufacturer like Eastman Kodak Co. So before photo paper had the manufacturer's name put on the back of photo paper. With names on them in a facsimile autographs style.
I should explain, I have a collection of over 100 such photos. No real proof as to what they are. Have had many different people say what they could be, but no first-hand proof.
My thoughts are, if someone has collected these, they might know more. Many of the photos match some baseball cards, down to the exact style, name is exactly the same on photos and cards, even some misspelling. Some photos match some bb cards but no name on them as the photos… The bb cards that match the photos are ...1947 Bond Bread round and square-cornered cards-Bond Bread Exhibits and Premiums. Berk Ross Hit Parade of Champions 1950 and 52. R 423 1950. HRT/RES 1977 reprints of 1947 bb cards. Thanks, John.
Maybe some images of what you're describing would help?
Old 01-28-2022, 01:23 PM
John

Trying to post more photos, but having trouble.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:51 PM
Jim M.arinari

Maybe a list of the players could help.
Do they all have the same style autograph?
Are there other examples of this style autograph on known issues with different images? (these were not the chosen images to be published?)
Old 01-28-2022, 02:20 PM
Jim M.arinari

Here is the 1952 Berk Ross
Maybe Rhys (prewarsports) can help out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952-Berk-Ross-Baseball-Jackie-Robinson-200x300.jpg (12.2 KB, 323 views)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:53 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Maybe a list of the players could help.
Do they all have the same style autograph?
Are there other examples of this style autograph on known issues with different images? (these were not the chosen images to be published?)
Thanks to all, here is the list of names:
Bob Adams
Larry Doby
Alvin Dark
Charles Diering
Murray Dickson
Bob Dillinger
Luke Easter
Bruce Edwards
Bob Elliott
Del Ennis
Walker Evans
Al Evans
Carl Erskine
Dick Fowler
Fain Ferris
Les Fleming
Bob Feller
Carl Furillo
Gordon Goldsberry
Jack Graham
Randu Guuumpert
Sid Gordon
Joe Gordon
Randy R. Gumpert
Bert Haas
Grady Hatton
Andy Hansen
Clint Hartung
Ken Heintzelan
Tommy Henrich
Gill Hodges
Tommy Holmes
Gene Hermanski
Auttemen Houtteman
Fred Hutchinson
Larry Jansen
Hal Jeffcat
Nippy Jones
Sheldon Jones
Bill Johnson

Luke Appling
Richie Ashburn
Jack Banta
Rex Barney
Hank Bauer
Frank Baumholtz
Larry Berra Yogi
Floyd Bevens
Leland Brissie
Bobby Brown
Rocky Bridges
Al Brazle
Harry Brecheen
Hank Borowy
Lou Boudreau
Ralph Branca
John Blatnik
Don Black
Jim Bloodworth
Jim Busby
Tommy Byrne
Buddy Blattner
Ewell Blackwell
Bob Chasnes
Sam Champman
Roy Campanella
Jerry Coleman
Walker Cooper
Morton Cooper
Chico Carrasquel
Phil Cavarreta
Babe Dahlgren
*Bobbie Doerr
Dom Di Maggio
Joe Di Maggio
Joe Dobson
Larry Doby
Alvin Dark
Charles Diering
Murray Dickson
Bob Dillinger
Luke Easter
Bruce Edwards
Bob Elliott
Del Ennis
Walker Evans
Al Evans
Carl Erskine
Dick Fowler
Fain Ferris
Les Fleming
Bob Feller
Carl Furillo
Gordon Goldsberry
Jack Graham
Randu Guuumpert
Sid Gordon
Joe Gordon
Randy R. Gumpert
Bert Haas
Grady Hatton
Andy Hansen
Clint Hartung
Ken Heintzelan
Tommy Henrich
Gill Hodges
Tommy Holmes
Gene Hermanski
Auttemen Houtteman
Fred Hutchinson
Larry Jansen
Hal Jeffcat
Nippy Jones
Sheldon Jones
Bill Johnson
John Jorgenson-Spider Jorgenson
Don Johson
Edwin Joost
Dave Koslo
Buddy Kerr
Ken Keltner
Monty Kennedy
Bob Kennedy
George Kell
Ted kluszewski
Clyder Kluttz
Ellis R. Kinder
Donald Kolloway
Jack Kramer
Whitey Kurowski
Bob Kuzava
Chet Laabs-game photo?
Ralph Lapointe
Max Lanier
Bob Lemon
Johnny Lindell
Harry Lowery
Vic Lombardi
Ed Lopat
John Lipon
Whitey Lockman
Lucky Lohrke (Jack)
Willard Marahall
Slats Marion -game photo?
Barney McCosky
Felix Mackiewicz_Philadephia Athletics 1941-43.
Cass Michaels
Eddie Miller
Hank Majeski
Johnny Mize
Sam Mele
Bob Muncrief
Cliff Mapes
Clyde McCullough
Patrick Mullin
Bob Morgan
George Munger
Don Mueller
Hal Newhouser
Bill Nicholson
Gus Niarhos
Ron Northey
John Ostrowski
Frank Overmire
Gerald Piddy
Johnny Persky
Howie Pollet
Andy Pafko
Satchel Paige
Eddie Pellagnni
Mel Parnell
Bob Porterfield
Erv Palics
Clarence Podbielan
Dave Philly
Vic Raschi
Kenneth Raffensberger
Bob Ramazotti-Dodger 1946-1949
Allie Reynolds
Pete Reiser
Preacher Roe
Stan Rojek
Bobby Rhawn
Del Rice
Bill Rigney
Phil Rizzuto
Warren Rosar
Jackie Robinson-score board 1946
Arron Robinson
Eddie Robinson
Hank Sauer
John Sain
Ray Scarborough
Albert Schoendienst
JohnSchmitz
Pat Seery
Sibby Sist
Dick Sisler
Duke Snider
Ed Stevens
Vern Stephens-St. Lous Browns
George Sternweiss
Paul Trout
Virgil Trucks
Johnny Van Der Mee
Bill Voiselle
Dick Wakefield
Dixie Walker
Roy Weatherby
Ted Williams
Old 01-29-2022, 01:00 AM
Bob C.

Did you come across these all at once, and assuming so, having an idea of the source might be of some help as well.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:03 AM
John

Yes, all at once, my wife had them since 1965 / 68. I personally started my research into them in 1976. When she acquired them, they were in old photo albums, like from the 1940s. John PS the photos albums were well used, but did a good job of keeping them safe. You could tell they had been looked at many times, or there is always the possibility they were used albums. but look tome like they were old, at 10- 20 years old.

Last edited by Johnphotoman; 01-29-2022 at 06:16 AM. Reason: add to
Old 01-29-2022, 06:31 AM

Is this the Ashburn? It is the only one I have, but I have seen other similar ones of players on your list over the years.
For what it is worth, Ashburn is in a 1948-49 uniform.
This one has excellent clarity, but I have seen others that are clearly modern reprints.
I don’t collect modern stuff other than Ashburn, but that is a nice collection in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002096B6-B81E-48C2-A6CF-16CD64AEE6E3.jpg (14.7 KB, 258 views)
Old 01-30-2022, 03:46 PM
John

Default Richie Ashburn

Yes the exact same photo. John
Old 01-30-2022, 04:29 PM

I thought it would be.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:55 PM
John

How did you come to get yours? Do you know anything about it? Thanks, John.

Last edited by Johnphotoman; 01-31-2022 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:59 PM
John

Default Richie Ashburn

How did you come by yours? Can you tell me anything about the photo? Thanks John.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:35 AM
John

Default photo

yes very nice, I do plan on getting one. This is my project, matching bb cards to the photos. This is a perfect match and one of the answers I was told...photo image was used for Jackie's bb card...by two different people... proof was from two different links. Who are in the business and are considered to be experts in the field.
So how many proofs or photostats did they make for his bb card, If you are counting, that would be 3 photos that were used to make Jackie Robinson. And the photo would be a Type 3. I was told they would take a picture of the original add name, then have a duplicate negative to make a print. I do not buy this for many reasons I will not go into here. Thanks, John.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:51 AM

Default Ashburn

I had sent you a pm with what I knew about it, but I just pulled it out to examine more closely. I did not remember it had stamping on the back. Also, I did not know until I really examined it, that the black writing is actually on the photo, not printed in the photo. It is not an Ashburn autograph, but it is live ink, no, it is not a sharpie or anything modern. There is a slight impression seen from the back as you would expect. Not sure what any of this means. I had assumed it was part of an issue of some sort, a part of whatever you have. If your Ashburn has a signature in the photo, not on it and it is identical, this may be what was copied. I like it either way. Are all of yours blank backed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47437DA9-2B05-4642-BBC0-62A338A5A9DF.jpg (15.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg B6E5D841-A7B1-4498-8D17-FA2A65A20138.jpg (5.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 262EDC9F-72DE-4744-9AD3-DB6D326F13A8.jpg (20.2 KB, 174 views)
Old 02-01-2022, 08:03 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
I had sent you a pm with what I knew about it, but I just pulled it out to examine more closely. I did not remember it had stamping on the back. Also, I did not know until I really examined it, that the black writing is actually on the photo, not printed in the photo. It is not an Ashburn autograph, but it is live ink, no, it is not a sharpie or anything modern. There is a slight impression seen from the back as you would expect. Not sure what any of this means. I had assumed it was part of an issue of some sort, a part of whatever you have. If your Ashburn has a signature in the photo, not on it and it is identical, this may be what was copied. I like it either way. Are all of yours blank backed?
Yes, the name on the photo was made with the print. It is what people call a facsimile autograph. Yes, the image is very clear, but I have been told because of the name in the text as a facsimile would make them a Type three. Because of the specific italic front...To do this the name was added to the original, then take a new negative which would be a duplicate. But all duplicates are of inferior quality...if yours is like mine it is of superior quality, not inferior.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:37 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

These were not limited to baseball. There were also Olympians - Bob Mathias and Barney Ewell come to mind. I believe there were also some made for football players. You are incorrect in calling them autographs. It is the athletes name printed in a readable cursive/script style. Most of them were mass produced photos for sale to the public. I believe you could purchase them from the back of sporting news and other publications. Yes, they were originally printed around the period that the photos were taken however, I have seen newer versions of these probably/possibly printed in the 1970's or 1980's. Without feeling the paper it is impossible to tell. I had, at one time, a copy of the Ewell photo autographed by him. It was this style but probably a later reprint.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 02-03-2022 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:35 AM
John

Default Football players

Yes, for football players, I have 4 in the collection, and they are just like the baseball photos. Thank you for the great info, John