NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM

Default Sellers using SMR prices to establish market price for non PSA graded cards???

The PSA SMR magazine prices are based upon PSA graded cards sales period. Anyone selling non PSA graded cards for PSA SMR prices is cutting edge or a used car salesmen.

Opinions welcome.

Disclaimer - I love Sgc. All of my keeper cards and sets are in sgc holders.

Last edited by bigfish; 05-22-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Bob McLean

Nothing wrong with selling a card for the value of the condition it is in. Problem is some people don't know how to establish a condition for a card, especially if that card is their own. That sneaky old bias could occur then.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:52 PM

I have no problem using those prices as a guide along with eBay, VCP, and other sources.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Scott Russell

I look at SMR to establish a range even on raw cards. Do I ask SMR EX price for a raw EX card? Nope, but it gives me an idea along with other resources and what I paid, and it's quick because I always seem to have one handy.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-22-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Smr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
The PSA SMR magazine prices are based upon PSA graded cards sales period. Anyone selling non PSA graded cards for PSA SMR prices is cutting edge or a used car salesmen.

Opinions welcome.

Disclaimer - I love Sgc. All of my keeper cards and sets are in sgc holders.
SMR prices are way below market for many pre-war PSA cards. Check out the embarrassing Cracker Jack pricing and a Baba Ruth VG/3 Rookie is listed for less than $50K???? A complete joke. I do agree that any of the accurate pricing is only related to PSA cards, especially mainstream issues and most post-war sets.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 05-22-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
SMR prices are way below market for many pre-war PSA cards. Check out the embarrassing Cracker Jack pricing and a Baba Ruth VG/3 Rookie is listed for less than $50K???? A complete joke. I do agree that any of the accurate pricing is only related to PSA cards, especially mainstream issues and most post-war sets.
I paid over smr on 5 different PSA graded T205s yesterday. I would do it everyday if those same type cards were available. It's a guide like anything else....

Last edited by Leon; 05-22-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Honestly

I disregard all printed guides I price what i feel is a fair price if they buy it great if not i have other stuff to sell and other buyers to sell cards. I understand the frustration of Toby but I try not to let it bother me when buying and just judge each card on what i think its worth and what the seller wants for it.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 AM

Does the SMR show what the price would be if you had to pay a buyers premium?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Does the SMR show what the price would be if you had to pay a buyers premium?
(sorry, couldn’t help myself)
Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Not sure why SMR gets so much hate - It's a guide - a starting point if you will. PSA does a good job of keeping fairly regular updates -and it's FREE
Old 05-23-2018, 06:38 AM

Default Thank you

Glyn you’re right. Ignore and move on.

QUOTE=toledo_mudhen;1779627]Not sure why SMR gets so much hate - It's a guide - a starting point if you will. PSA does a good job of keeping fairly regular updates -and it's FREE[/QUOTE]

The “hate” for me is the sellers trying to sell non Psa graded cards that are off center for SMR or record PSA reported sales. The sad part it is people are falling for this and grossly over paying for cards.

Moving on
Old 05-23-2018, 06:54 AM
“the bambino”

Default PSA auction prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
I have no problem using those prices as a guide along with eBay, VCP, and other sources.
I have actually found (as i’m sure most people have) that SMR seems to be a very conservative figure. Most of their values are below recent auction and buy-it-now prices. I rarely sell cards on eBay, but when I do I use PSA’s auction tool to determine where to set my listing price. Before I knew that tool was available, I went off of SMR and jacked up the price to factor in eBay and PayPal fees. I figured either the market is stronger than I thought or I’m doing something wrong (probably the latter) because my cards were selling within minutes of listing them. Then I discovered their auction pricing tool and adjusted accordingly. The cards don’t sell as quickly, but they eventually do and for a higher price.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Toby
In the same vein as what you are saying, I dislike it when people quote me VCP for any card I have and am selling. That is because my cards have purple stickers!! Well, not really but they could have some other color of sticker. SMR on this puppy, in a 4.5 is about (there is no half grade pricing) $350. I paid almost 200% for this one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Glyn you’re right. Ignore and move on.

QUOTE=toledo_mudhen;1779627]Not sure why SMR gets so much hate - It's a guide - a starting point if you will. PSA does a good job of keeping fairly regular updates -and it's FREE
The “hate” for me is the sellers trying to sell non Psa graded cards that are off center for SMR or record PSA reported sales. The sad part it is people are falling for this and grossly over paying for cards.

Moving on[/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205v.jpg (78.2 KB, 154 views)
Old 05-23-2018, 07:41 AM

Default Bag of tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Toby
In the same vein as what you are saying, I dislike it when people quote me VCP for any card I have and am selling. That is because my cards have purple stickers!! Well, not really but they could have some other color of sticker. SMR on this puppy, in a 4.5 is about (there is no half grade pricing) $350. I paid almost 200% for this one....

Moving on
[/QUOTE]

Some of these sellers have a deep bag of tricks. Good thing you didn’t just fall off the turnip truck. 😊😊😊
Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 AM

Default SMR Pricing

What is getting lost in this whole discussion is the substantial premiums that cards with superb eye appeal can realize. It is no secret that collectors are focusing more on aesthetics than a numerical grade, especially with regard to centering. For example, iconic cards such as the Ruth Rookie, 51 Bowman/52 Topps Mantles, Green Portrait Cobb, etc. rarely surface with 45/55 to 50/50 centering, and when they do, premiums can range anywhere from 25-50%. This goes far beyond SMR listed issues, because listed auction sales don’t take into account a card’s overall aesthetics. Bottom line is a brilliant looking card will fetch far more than any “guide” or “auction” standard pricing point.

That said, I have to laugh when Collector’s/Dealers BUYING high-end eye appeal cards only point to a guide/auction pricing point, but when they are SELLING, dismiss the listed values due to the cards outstanding aesthetics! Hypocritical to say the least!

Last edited by Vintageclout; 05-23-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Joe M.

Sell for what you like, buyers can decide.

joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
What is getting lost in this whole discussion is the substantial premiums that cards with superb eye appeal can realize. It is no secret that collectors are focusing more on aesthetics than a numerical grade, especially with regard to centering.
Excellent point. In fact, the current pwcc auction has a pair of ‘65 Mantles. One is a PSA 6 and the other PSA 7. The 6 is nicely centered, the 7 not so much. Guess which one is bid higher.

Last edited by ruth_rookie; 05-23-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Smr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
Excellent point. In fact, the current pwcc auction has a pair of ‘65 Mantles. One is a PSA 6 and the other PSA 7. The 6 is nicely centered, the 7 not so much. Guess one is bid higher.
Yep....centering rules!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
I have actually found (as i’m sure most people have) that SMR seems to be a very conservative figure. Most of their values are below recent auction and buy-it-now prices. I rarely sell cards on eBay, but when I do I use PSA’s auction tool to determine where to set my listing price. Before I knew that tool was available, I went off of SMR and jacked up the price to factor in eBay and PayPal fees. I figured either the market is stronger than I thought or I’m doing something wrong (probably the latter) because my cards were selling within minutes of listing them. Then I discovered their auction pricing tool and adjusted accordingly. The cards don’t sell as quickly, but they eventually do and for a higher price.
They are definitely conservative. I've been looking a lot lately at the Sport Kings set and I can't find PSA cards for the prices on the SMR.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre