NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Babe - Sanella margarine

Posted By: Ed

Is this considered a real Babe card by vintage collectors?

It has nice eye appeal, but is it just a booby prize?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

It is pre war, but my son in law who lived in Germany his first 22 years, says that they are very common over there. In fact on one trip over and back, he asked me if I wanted him to bring a batch back with him. Told him no. There is also some question to whether or not they were printed well after the 1932 supposed date of manufacture. Well after. They are a neat looking card, and the last show I attended, I saw a few of them, and was very tempted to pick one up, but Ruth is not in my realm of needs, so I passed. Neat looking card, but is, what I consider a novelty. But a pre war card, and a real Ruth card none the less.

Grammer.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

In the hobby, the Ruth is considered a real Ruth baseball card, just not one of his more popular ones. What probably holds it back is it's not American, it's relatively plentiful, easy to get in high grade and it's on paper stock. However, I've owned one and it's a good looking card. Other Pre-War European Ruth cards are also relatively inexpensive.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Great artwork. Well, except for the brown shoes.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

I like it!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

being a babe ruth collector, i have always been intrigued with this issue.
agreed that they are generally considered a genuine "pre-war card," tho, i personally, am extremely pessimistic about them being either!

psa has graded an amazing 354 examples (which is 71 more than the 1933 goudey sport kings ruth they have graded), and an astounding 77.4% have been deemed psa 5 or HIGHER!
issued on a foreign paper stock in 1932, am i really expected to believe that SO MANY examples survived in SUCH EXEMPLORY condition thru the ravages of depression and war, then miraculously surface 65-70 years later?

tho they may be quite aesthetically pleasing (despite the fashion faux paus), i have never owned one & probably never will.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

It's common knowledge that the Nazis were fanatical about the use of top loaders.

Pre-War playing cards (National Game, etc) are commonly found in high grade in part because them came in decks. Perhaps the Senella cards were distributed in a way conducive to keeping them high grade. There's no question the Senella Ruths commonly come in high grade.

I looked under a microscope at a PSA8 Senella Ruth and the printing process and ink was vintage.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

here is my only babe ruth card, never been a big collector of the babe, i've own 1 goudey and sold it several months later, i did own a sanella babe ruth then found this pose, liked it much better and its a horizontal to boot!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Britsh and German cards do not demand has much because they produced so many, but they are affordable - I just sold the above card in a PSA 7 holder

I have had a few Sanella cards, and they sold in the 200.00-300.00 range

Take care

Jimmy

Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Frank