NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Dan Marke1

Default NY Daily News: Lew Lipset plans to publish another book (plus Bill Mastro update)

I was just reading another Michael O'Keeffe article about Bill Mastro and I noticed in a letter linked to the article Lew Lipset mentioned in passing he plans to write a book "My Life With Baseball Cards". I have his other books so this should be a good read.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ite...ntry-1.1757083

P.S. There's an update with the Bill Mastro fiasco. Strangely enough he still hasn't been sentenced and won't be until two other related cases are completed.

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 04-16-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

I guess this wasn't the type of letter to the court Mastro was hoping for.

“I was in the hobby/industry for 35 years,” Lipset wrote last year in a letter to Judge Ronald A. Guzman. “I have never met anyone as despicable as Bill Mastro.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ite...#ixzz2z4dNHQno

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Thanks. Good read.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Bill Gregory

Thanks for the heads up, Dan. I'm pretty late to the party, as I just got the first three volumes of Lew's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards volumes 1-3 in the mail yesterday, but I am really enjoying his writing and his meticulous attention to detail.

What other books of his do you recommend?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Dan. I'm pretty late to the party, as I just got the first three volumes of Lew's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards volumes 1-3 in the mail yesterday, but I am really enjoying his writing and his meticulous attention to detail.

What other books of his do you recommend?
I have those three volumes also and thoroughly enjoyed reading through them countless times. He may have other publications. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

“I was in the hobby/industry for 35 years,” Lipset wrote last year in a letter to Judge Ronald A. Guzman. “I have never met anyone as despicable as Bill Mastro.”

If I had a dollar for every time I heard this....
Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
I have those three volumes also and thoroughly enjoyed reading through them countless times. He may have other publications. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us.
He (hi Lew) also put out the Old Judge Newsletter for several (3-5) years. It was kind of like a "paper" chat board. It was great and there was tons of information about all kinds of cards. There was also a lot about things going on in the hobby too, if I recall correctly. It's a must read for vintage baseball card hobbyists (there were around 50 Newsletters I believe)... I have a full run somewhere in my library of hobby stuff.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 PM
pete ullman

That should be quite an interesting read...to say the least.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Be sure to go to the story and click on the link to download the letter to the court. Good for a laugh or two...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Here you go...

Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Jeff

Those auctions regularly stretched out until the wee hours of the morn, maybe Bill was just getting a power nap in behind the locked door.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Dan Marke1

From the article: "I was in the hobby/industry for 35 years,” Lipset wrote last year in a letter to Judge Ronald A. Guzman. “I have never met anyone as despicable as Bill Mastro.”

Also from the article: "Bill Mastro has agreed to cooperate with the feds, who are also prosecuting his former associated Doug Allen and Mark Theotikos, and he won’t be sentenced until those cases are completed."

You can take it to the bank that attorneys for Doug Allen and Mark Theotikos will strenuously concur with Mr. Lipset and use information like this to discredit Mastro at every turn.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
From the article: "I was in the hobby/industry for 35 years,” Lipset wrote last year in a letter to Judge Ronald A. Guzman. “I have never met anyone as despicable as Bill Mastro.”

Also from the article: "Bill Mastro has agreed to cooperate with the feds, who are also prosecuting his former associated Doug Allen and Mark Theotikos, and he won’t be sentenced until those cases are completed."

You can take it to the bank that attorneys for Doug Allen and Mark Theotikos will strenuously concur with Mr. Lipset and use information like this to discredit Mastro at every turn.
I very much doubt they need Mastro's testimony.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:47 PM

When I was a teenager Lew lived on Long Island not too far from me and I remember talking to him many times back then. Total class with an impeccable reputation!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Lew

I remember there were a few times in the 3 volume set when Lew would
indicate that treatments of other type cards would be forthcoming.
I've been hoping to see a volume on D and F cards, particularly. I'm crossing my fingers that the new book may give us a few tidbits on the 'missing' types.
If not, I'm certainly very grateful that he gave us those seminal 3 volumes and
look forward to anything he publishes. I'm going to keep wishing anyway.
all the best,
barry
Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

From what I heard of it back in the day Lew just thought it was too much work to write the other 3 volumes. Having written a hobby book myself I can relate.

I believe he tried to salt a few set writeups in his catalog auctions but nothing like the level of the books. I am looking forward to this book in the fall.

Last edited by toppcat; 04-17-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I am looking forward to this book in the fall.
Me too!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:47 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Personally, I'm looking forward to Mastro and his cronies going to prison for as long as possible.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 PM

Default OJ newsletters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He (hi Lew) also put out the Old Judge Newsletter for several (3-5) years. It was kind of like a "paper" chat board. It was great and there was tons of information about all kinds of cards. There was also a lot about things going on in the hobby too, if I recall correctly. It's a must read for vintage baseball card hobbyists (there were around 50 Newsletters I believe)... I have a full run somewhere in my library of hobby stuff.
Leon....Lew issued a book in 1989 that had all 23 issues of the Old Judge newsletters from the spring of 1985 through the end of 1988 called 'The Old Judge - the first four years.' Just like all of Lew's books its very informative. John
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Four Base Hits catalogs

One of the earliest baseball auction catalogs was put out by Lew called "Four Base Hits."

They were incredible catalogs with fixed prices. It was like Christmas when the catalog would arrive.

I was just getting into the hobby, and regret not buying several items, namely a Chief Meyers T215 with Red Cross back and an Ira Thomas Diamond Gum pin. Both were priced at $300.00.

Patrick
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Ryan Christoff

Tempted to print and frame that letter from Lew about Mastro.

-Ryan
Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave View Post
personally, i'm looking forward to mastro and his cronies going to prison for as long as possible.
+11111111111
Old 04-28-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post

I haven't talked to John in a long time but he eventually sold his collection to Larry Fritsch for 7 figures. It was an amazing collection. I do remember John was having problems with payment from the original 'buyer' so I guess that fits Lew's letter that it was Bill Mastro. I heard about the 'bribe' through the grapevine so I think Lew's information is correct.