NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default Processed through USPS Sort Facility

Has anyone received the dreaded "Processed through USPS Sort Facility" message when checking the tracking of an item. I have been watching this for 8 days and still no package. It was a priority mail package containing cards worth $2,250 with an expected delivery of 4/2.

Have called USPS who opened a case and decided not to call me back. Had to call back today and they said it would be escalated to Customer Relations. More bull.

This was a reasonable sized box that I find very hard to believe it was lost. I think it was stolen and the USPS does not give a crap.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of delay but eventually received their package.

FYI, the sorting facility was Kearny, NJ

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

It isn't lost. or stolen These delays, while not common, do happen. It's just stuck someplace and eventually will unstick.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It isn't lost. or stolen These delays, while not common, do happen. It's just stuck someplace and eventually will unstick.
This is mostly likely the scenario. Even though theft does happen from time to time, it's fairly unlikely any smuggling of the package would take place in the sorting facility. The chances of it being "misplaced" are much higher and most likely what happened. I've had a similar situation come up a few times myself and they all eventually got to me.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Hi Howard. Hopefully, you have insurance on that package. I have something like this also. I had a low value package shipped to me from Singapore (~$50) with a destination address of Redwood City in California. The package made it to the US fine, and there you were able to see the package tracking on the USPS site. The package made it to Sunnyvale, which is just a few miles from Redwood City on 3/21. Then the package basically disappeared with the last update being "Delivery Status Not Updated." Earlier this week, I went to my local post office, and asked where my package was. They said they had no idea, but gave me the phone # to call the Sunnyvale post office since that was the last place the package was. After many attempts at calling that post office, where the calls would go into a voice mail, I finally reached a live person. That person told me that the package already left Sunnyvale, and told me to try the Redwood City post office, and see if the package might be in some "hold out" box at that post office for missent items. I called the Redwood City post office, and they said the package was not there either, and what they said happens is that when the package was missent from Sunnyvale, the process is that it gets sent back to the main San Francisco sorting facility, and in that location, it goes into some area for missent mail where every item in that location needs to be manually sorted by a post office employee to check to see if the address/zip, etc is correct rather than go to through the machines. I told the employee that it's already been 2-1/2 weeks, how much longer do I have to wait? The employee told me to be patient another 2-3 weeks... I asked if I could call the San Francisco office, but they said that wouldn't help since they wouldn't know anything either until the package got manually sorted.

So, I still don't know if my package is in a black hole somewhere in that postal facility or truly lost. I filed an ebay item not received case since it's getting close to the 45 days that I have to file a case, and I do feel sorry for the seller, and hopefully ebay seller protection will cover him in this case also.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I had this situation happen to me many time when I am shipping an item and they do usually show up. But they were usually small packages that could get stuck or hidden somewhere.

This package was large and find it hard to believe that it is stuck somewhere.

Just gotta keep my fingers crossed and hope it shows up at my doorstep. (My mailman has a habit of leaving it outside in the rain).

Buythatcard

Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Derek Granger

I sent a $250 card uninsured (eBay sale) back in January and if you look at the tracking info it says that it's still "at sorting facility". I obviously had to refund the buyer b/c the card is in purgatory.

I'm sure it'll show up eventually...hopefully on my doorstep, not the buyer's!!

Mine was in a bubble mailer. One would hope a box would be harder to "misplace".

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Just think about it. When a missing card finally shows up, it really will be considered vintage.

Buythatcard

Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post

FYI, the sorting facility was Kearny, NJ
Ahhh Kearny!
Had some interesting experiences w/ packages that go through there.
Had a card order from upstate NY go through there on its way to me in PA
But after Kearny it ended up in Ft Worth Tx on a short vacation & finally
worked its way to me. The priority box should have taken 2-3 days, it took 7.
My local postmaster told me you can't believe all the activity in these distribution centers as if its a miracle that anything is dlvd promptly
Old 04-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Steve Murray

And then there's the story of a package addressed to Berlin, PA that made it there through Berlin Germany.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
And then there's the story of a package addressed to Berlin, PA that made it there through Berlin Germany.
Steve good memory. I live in a metropolis called East Berlin (1 traffic light in the whole town)
And a package from Fla to my wife ended up in Zurich Switzerland & Berlin Germany.
As a person who's never been to Europe I was jealous of the package that saw more of the world then me.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:27 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Ahhh Kearny!
Had some interesting experiences w/ packages that go through there.
Had a card order from upstate NY go through there on its way to me in PA
But after Kearny it ended up in Ft Worth Tx on a short vacation & finally
worked its way to me. The priority box should have taken 2-3 days, it took 7.
My local postmaster told me you can't believe all the activity in these distribution centers as if its a miracle that anything is dlvd promptly
kearny nj back east and bell garden ca out west...those were some sleepless nights.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
kearny nj back east and bell garden ca out west...those were some sleepless nights.
bell garden got me last week. No outbound scan to a east coast destination USPS ground... 6 days it was in a truck no outbound scan before it hit the system on a inbound scan at the distribution point... not a card, but a $650 item that was 54x6x6 - you think this community is tough try and tell a Star Wars collector his T-21 stormtrooper blaster is enroute when it looks like its MIA.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Kearny New Jersey....3 words that strike fear in the hearts of eBay sellers in the Northeast! Good luck!

Jeff
Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Brian Horne

I had a package that I sent go missing and I went in to try and get the shipping charges refunded (no insurance), they told me I had to wait 30 days. I ended up going in on about day 35 and they told me it had just arrived that day. Nothing would surprise me at this point.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Kearny New Jersey....3 words that strike fear in the hearts of eBay sellers in the Northeast! Good luck!

Jeff

Yup, it's a big Black Hole for packages. Sometimes it takes a week or more to come out the other side.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Tim Sanders

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yup, it's a big Black Hole for packages. Sometimes it takes a week or more to come out the other side.
As a buyer waiting in NJ I have grown a bit patient. I am always waiting for packages from there.

But...It is worse when they go from Teterboro to Kearny. I usually wait weeks on those and have seen them shipped to Long Island /PA etc !!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post

So, I still don't know if my package is in a black hole somewhere in that postal facility or truly lost. I filed an ebay item not received case since it's getting close to the 45 days that I have to file a case, and I do feel sorry for the seller, and hopefully ebay seller protection will cover him in this case also.
It will not...I've had two lost packages in the last few months...one was going to Hong Kong, and went from Nebraska to Chicago to Canada??? back to Chicago where it was last scanned. The buyer filed on me and I thought I was protected, but ebay took it from my paypal...I called and asked about the seller protection plan and it no longer covers packages lost in the mail...not sure what it does protect now, but they have changed it. I also lost a postcard I mailed to a small town in Nebraska...got scanned in Omaha and was never delivered...buyer filed on me and ebay once again took it from my paypal. There is no such thing as seller protection on ebay.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Brad Pencil

Yeah I just consigned some cards to Legendary this week for the May auction and they are only about 40 miles from my house. I sent it 3 days ago as a next day delivery just to make the deadline of today and the package is still sitting in Forrest Park. So it was a waste of 30 dollars, I should have just drove it to them.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
Yeah I just consigned some cards to Legendary this week for the May auction and they are only about 40 miles from my house. I sent it 3 days ago as a next day delivery just to make the deadline of today and the package is still sitting in Forrest Park. So it was a waste of 30 dollars, I should have just drove it to them.
Hi Brad, I think USPS guarantees next day delivery for express packages, so you should be able to get your $30 odd dollars back. I did this before in the past when it took them 2 days instead of one day for delivery, and the local post office branch paid out.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:45 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Happens to me a lot. The USPS Brooklyn Sorting Facility seems to be notorious for this. I find the best thing to do is call the USPS customer service number. They open a case for you and contact the facility. Typically things get cleared up in a day or two and you should have your package in no time, fingers crossed.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Brad Pencil

Thanks Gary, I will contact them and find out. You know how it is dealing with them.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2069bk View Post
As a buyer waiting in NJ I have grown a bit patient. I am always waiting for packages from there.

But...It is worse when they go from Teterboro to Kearny. I usually wait weeks on those and have seen them shipped to Long Island /PA etc !!!!

OH NO, I have a "departed" from Teterboro on the 7th. That is the last info on it. So you are saying it might be May before it gets here...OH MY!!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Usps

Had a package coming to me leave Philly on 2/15 never to be heard from again. I could walk to Philly and back in two days!! No word at all not delivered or returned to seller!

Fred

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:
Package Services

Features:

USPS Tracking™

Date & Time

Status of Item

February 15, 2014

Depart USPS Sort Facility .

PHILADELPHIA, PA 19116

February 13, 2014 , 4:34 pm

Processed through USPS Sort Facility .

PHILADELPHIA, PA 19116

February 11, 2014

Depart USPS Sort Facility .

WARRENDALE, PA 15095

February 11, 2014 , 2:26 pm

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility .

WARRENDALE, PA 15095

February 11, 2014 , 1:11 pm

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility .

CHICAGO, IL 60654

February 10, 2014

Electronic Shipping Info Received
Old 04-12-2014, 06:11 AM

Being someone that worked in a USPS sort facility back in 1997 during the UPS strike, I am pleased every time I receive something that I am supposed to get in the mail. You have to see the inside of one of those places to believe it.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Sort facility

As a current Postal employee, this kind of thing drives me nuts. 99.9% of our packages are delivered on time to the correct destination, but there is that .1% that seems to fall into a black hole for a week or two. We see a scan that says "departed sort facility at xxxxx", then - nothing. I feel helpless because there is nothing I can do as a Postmaster to help my customer. So, I check on the package every day and then a week later, or two weeks later, the package arrives at the destination Post Office and gets delivered. Where has it been for two weeks and why wasn't it scanned somewhere along the line?

It seems that the smaller first class packages move through the system pretty quickly and the delays are mostly Priority Mail packages. Overall, the system works well, especially considering that we ship over a million packages a day. I wish I could find out why a small percentage of these packages just seem to evaporate and then reappear again.

I am willing to try to help anyone who is having problems with their packages, but I am at a medium sized PO out in the boonies and in many cases there isn't much that I can do. If you need help, send me an email and I will see what I can do.

rickmcquillan@gmail.com

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Just from my experiences, the ones I have troubles with are the East coast ones. Mostly New Jersey and Connecticut.

Once the package gets to Kansas City, I have it within 12 hours (in Topeka).
Old 04-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Tony Quinn

Recently had a small package take 8 days from Kearny, NJ to Nashville. Sat for 4 days at the facility before it moved and then 2 more afterwards. All that and it was sent Priority too. Imagine if it was regular mail!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
As a current Postal employee, this kind of thing drives me nuts. 99.9% of our packages are delivered on time to the correct destination, but there is that .1% that seems to fall into a black hole for a week or two. We see a scan that says "departed sort facility at xxxxx", then - nothing. I feel helpless because there is nothing I can do as a Postmaster to help my customer. So, I check on the package every day and then a week later, or two weeks later, the package arrives at the destination Post Office and gets delivered. Where has it been for two weeks and why wasn't it scanned somewhere along the line?

It seems that the smaller first class packages move through the system pretty quickly and the delays are mostly Priority Mail packages. Overall, the system works well, especially considering that we ship over a million packages a day. I wish I could find out why a small percentage of these packages just seem to evaporate and then reappear again.

I am willing to try to help anyone who is having problems with their packages, but I am at a medium sized PO out in the boonies and in many cases there isn't much that I can do. If you need help, send me an email and I will see what I can do.

rickmcquillan@gmail.com

Rick
I agree with Rick...in all of my years shipping packages on eBay (in the thousands), I have had less than a handful get lost.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 04-14-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I agree with Rick...in all of my years shipping packages on eBay (in the thousands), I have had less than a handful get lost.

Jeff
Me too....in 15 yrs of shipping several thousand total packages I have probably had less than a handful get lost. That being said it does seem like there are more issues at some of the regional USPS hubs than others. Coppell in North Texas seems to have a poor track record too.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Tim Sanders

Default Not lost just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Me too....in 15 yrs of shipping several thousand total packages I have probably had less than a handful get lost. That being said it does seem like there are more issues at some of the regional USPS hubs than others. Coppell in North Texas seems to have a poor track record too.
As big of a pain as it once was, I have grown accustomed to Kearny....Never have they been lost (knock on wood), they just take a little vacation.

Maybe they are just jealous of the travels of "Large Ass" Herzog and try too take in the sights in Northern NJ/NYC?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Just to give you an update on this original posting. Called USPS about 4 days after package was in the "Sort Facility Zone". They said that they would open a case and call me back within 48 hours. Five days later, I received no calls so I called them again. They said that they now need to escalate the case to Consumer Affairs in Edison. They will get back to me also within 48 hours. Five days later which was today, still no calls so I called them again. After waiting on hold for 40 minutes, I was told that the case is still open and it has not been resolved but you will know something by 6 PM today. I am not holding my breath.

Very frustrating dealing with these people.

BTW, the status has not changed. "Processed through USPS Sort Facility".

Buythatcard

Old 04-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Just to give you an update on this original posting. Called USPS about 4 days after package was in the "Sort Facility Zone". They said that they would open a case and call me back within 48 hours. Five days later, I received no calls so I called them again. They said that they now need to escalate the case to Consumer Affairs in Edison. They will get back to me also within 48 hours. Five days later which was today, still no calls so I called them again. After waiting on hold for 40 minutes, I was told that the case is still open and it has not been resolved but you will know something by 6 PM today. I am not holding my breath.

Very frustrating dealing with these people.

BTW, the status has not changed. "Processed through USPS Sort Facility".
Ugh, that is quite the painstaking process you're going through. Why there can't be better tracking and better handling of packages from our Postal Service is beyond me.

Just wondering, has anybody here EVER had these kinds of continual mysteriously "vanishing" packages happen with FedEx or UPS? I surely haven't.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Alex

I used to work seasonally at UPS and we never lost a package although I am sure it happens.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:55 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default USPS Kearny NJ

I just had a similar experience with the USPS in Kearny NJ. I had a package sit for 10 days in thier sort facility and it finally was released and delivered. Keep your fingers crossed and it may still show up. Good Luck
Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuyTy View Post

Just wondering, has anybody here EVER had these kinds of continual mysteriously "vanishing" packages happen with FedEx or UPS? I surely haven't.
I had a package from UPS disappear a little over a year ago. It contained my sons high school class ring and apparently vanished somewhere between getting put on the truck and being dropped off at my house. They did work with us and ended up getting a full replacement at no charge to us but it was a bit hairy for a w
Little while. It was his Christmas present that year from my wife and I. We ended up getting the replacement on December 24th. Whew! That as close.

Drew
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuyTy View Post
Ugh, that is quite the painstaking process you're going through. Why there can't be better tracking and better handling of packages from our Postal Service is beyond me.

I think all carriers have issues, not just the Postal Service. Here's a thread where FedEx delivered a package to the wrong address: Link, and another one where FedEx did not request a signature even though packages had signature confirmation: Link. The postal service is just used a lot more (since it's usually much cheaper), so more cases of issues seem to crop up. It's very likely that it may still have a lower % of issues given the huge volume they deal with.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Alex

^ I agree with this statement.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Wondering if my package/card will ever leave the sort facility in Teterboro, New Jersey.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Read this thread when it first started and had not had this problem.
Since then I have a package stuck in Jersey City processing facility
for 8 days. They say it will show up eventually.