NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2003, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Default Seller pulls auction...new ebay standard

Posted By: runscott 

I guess the take-home message here is simple - if you see an item on ebay that you want, contact the seller and offer to buy it off-line (many will add a BIN). I would say 25% of the non-card items that I am really interested in get pulled early because of deals made by others prior to auction end.

I don't like to put bids in early, as it lets people I know who are interested in similar items know what I'm bidding on, so I waited patiently to snipe. Frustrated when the item was pulled and sold for $18.00, I emailed the seller to let them know that for future reference they would definitely have gotten substantially more than $18.00 for this item if they had let the auction run to completion. The seller said that they felt "sick" now. That's good.

But I am glad that this item went to a friend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3251845907&category=11673&rd=1

Old 11-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darby-s

Only a JERK would write to shut down and auction early! It just isn't right! I hate people that do that!
I was burned by Leon on a GC Miller candy tin he shut down. At least this seller was honest, Leon's seller told me her husband sold it at their yardsale! Nice lie!

All kidding aside, thanks for the friend comment! I am honored to be your friend. I am not particularly fond of the shut down but have lost so many items that way that I have become a "shutter down" to compete. please accept my apology on this box.

I already had the GC Miller tin so that was no big deal Leon, I just like to drag you into any post I can, you like the attention! Dan.

Old 11-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Administrator

If two bidders do it, then the seller gets suspicious, like in the case of the 1890's Matty cabinet I found on ebay...the seller actually agreed to sell it to me, then communication abruptly stopped. Never heard from the seller again and eventually saw the item on Mastro.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Scott, I wish you wouldn't have posted this. As my luck usually works, I only lose. The seller has requested my contact info I am sure to reneg on the sale. We will undoubtedly exchange negatives, and I will not receive a piece I won through the ebay auction. When this happens the other way, and I write the sellers explaining my unhappiness over them shutting down, I just get told to eat crow. Amazing! doesn't matter which side I am on, I lose. I guess all of this is payment for being honest. Must be an after life for real. Dan.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

The seller knew nothing about baseball or he wouldn't have added an $18 BIN to begin with.

However, any time you talk a seller into ending an auction early you are in danger of pissing off a lot of bidders who were waiting for the auction to run it's normal, predefined course. This item would have been found by anyone doing a search on "Old Judge" (and there are many who do this).

Also, I highly recommend that if you try to deal offline on anything, offer a fair price - you really don't want people having second thoughts about the deal. And with the BIN publicly advertising the price, all those disgruntled potential bidders became even more disgruntled. You can blame me personally for this if you want, but it's not so, and it wasn't my intention to have this guy back out on you.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Administrator

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have paid more than $50 for it. I thought $25 shipped was a fair price figuring I could sell it for $50 and he could ship it for about $4. Thanks for the lesson. take care, Dan.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Administrator

You and the post I am sure didn't have anything to do with it except your post advertised to someone else on this board who went to extremes to get him to reneg. The only thing you and your post did was advertise it to someone who hadn't seen it. Not a biggie, I was buying it to resell and probably would have liked it and kept it after I received it, that happens too often thus I cannot move in my house! take care dan.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Administrator

she is on the phone now! You should here this crap! I am laughing my ass off! She said you spoke highly of me. How dare you! Someone else hosed me, I knew it wasn't you. This is priceless! This is a great hobby.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Administrator

It would be very sad if someone on this board tried to nail you, but it's possible. I prefer to think that it was someone who had planned to snipe at the end.

In any case, in the future I won't post my thoughts about that sort of thing until after the buyer has the item in question in his/her hand. Meanwhile, if this item shows up on ebay under a different seller, I suggest we all give that person vintage chat hell until they melt from embarassment.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Administrator

No sweat Scott my friend. I am trying to work something out with them now, they seem very nice and I am immune to losing at this point so anything is a plus! take care and thanks again for the kind words. I am not sure I deserevd them. You know who the other board member is don't you? Dan.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Last night, I bid on a envelope and leaderhead from the Worcester Baseball Club. I wanted the item because I was born in Worcester, MA. Within a half hour, I noticed the auction had been closed. The seller simply cancelled my bid, and noted that the item was no longer for sale. Because the letter was signed by HOF Jesse Burkett, I'm sure someone made a "OFF-EBAY" offer.

Although I realize that this has become another part of the "EBAY experience," it still angers me. I didn't even bother to email the seller to vent...I simply will NEVER bid on this sellers items again.

This practice will create more "ill will" towards EBAY.

So for those of you who choose to make the offers to sellers to close auctions early, remember it's a double edged sword. Someday, someone will close an auction early on you.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Administrator

This morning I saw a postcard I wanted to bid on, but the seller even mentioned in his ebay description that if you wanted it you had better bid early, because his items don't last long!

What the hell is an "auction" anyway !?!

Old 11-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

Scott - I saw the same one and wondered what he meant so I emailed him to see if his intent was to sell early. His reply seemed to indicate that he wouldn't close it early so I don't know what the heck he meant in his description.???
It would be best if sellers weren't allowed to close early but as it is now you almost feel compelled to make an early offer because you know many others will.

Old 11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Well I have thought about this and though I do appreciate the kind words you said about me to the seller Scott, I can only see one logical reason for telling her you would have paid $250 for something I just won for $25, and that was to destroy my transaction. Well it worked, email directly r337man@yahoo.com I would rather settle this privately than here. Dan.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Settle this by yourself. After explaining myself, and apolgogizing for an error in judgement, I'm exiting this thread for good.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Administrator

I emailed the seller and cc'd you, just so there would be no confusion about my thoughts on this.

Now I really am gone (from this thread, not from the board )

You stated you wanted to "settle this" by email - I don't. If you want to email about something totally unrelated to this stupid debaucle, go ahead, but one word about an Old Judge tobacco box and I press 'delete'.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Administrator

I emailed the seller and cc'd you, just so there would be no confusion about my thoughts on this.

Now I really am gone (from this thread, not from the board )

You stated you wanted to "settle this" by email - I don't. If you want to email about something totally unrelated to this stupid debaucle, go ahead, but one word about an Old Judge tobacco box and I press 'delete'.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

Scott, how terrible, I never pictured you as the no balls type. Be a man and face what you have done to me off line out of the comfort of your castle here. Actually, I had a proposition for you that I didn't want to post publicly. Anyway, touche! you have succeeded and this battle went to you as I am out for the box. Count on paybacks in the future, I will be on a mission.

apology? I can't find that, I must have missed that part, all I see is you abusing me about not offering what you consider a fair price. Should I write every seller of what you ever win from now on? Nah, that would be lowering myself. For the record, I made an offer, it was the seller's Idea for the BIN. With friends like you, I don't need enemies. Are you secretly employeed by PSA? Dan.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

Strong email! You didn't have to do that! I know you didn't offer but the $250 statement killed it. Let's move on, I still think you should have emailed me when I asked, I am a bit disappointed in that. Anyway, I promised myself I wouldn't let this get to me and I have failed! It pissed me off, I hate being an Irish Redneck. Take care guys, I think I will join Scott and take a break from not just this thread, but the board. I don't seem to do to well out here? Must be my intelligence or lack there of. Dan.