NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-20-2017, 08:07 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default Cubs envoke $1 buyback for World Series Rings

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

For those not reading the article, this doesn't apply to the players.

I think this is a good move on the part of the Cubs. I could see why the Organization would want to hold control over these if they were the ones investing in them.

The questions I have is if there is a time limit on this restriction and does it carry over to the family of the recipient in a case of them passing away?

Also from a speculative mind how quickly will someone disregard this and sell theirs and fight it out in the courts?

edit: Added info to avoid confusion on who this applies to according to article.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 04-20-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM

I actually disagree with this. The players earned them. Thet worked hard for them. They should be able to do with their ring as they wish.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
I actually disagree with this. The players earned them. Thet worked hard for them. They should be able to do with their ring as they wish.
It's not the players, just the staff. That said, I am not sure I agree with it either. I can see why the team wants to do it, but the idea of gifting it with that condition is troubling to me.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
It's not the players, just the staff. That said, I am not sure I agree with it either. I can see why the team wants to do it, but the idea of gifting it with that condition is troubling to me.
I just don't think there is an issue. They are essentially saying "if you would like a ring you have to promise us you won't sell it." My friend works for an MLB team and last time they won the WS he had to buy his own. In that case it makes sense, to me, that he would have full rights to the ring.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I just don't think there is an issue. They are essentially saying "if you would like a ring you have to promise us you won't sell it." My friend works for an MLB team and last time they won the WS he had to buy his own. In that case it makes sense, to me, that he would have full rights to the ring.
There are no rings without the players. It's their hard work, their labor. They are the ones who ended the long drought and produced on the field, having to overcome a 3-1 deficit in the World Series, not to mention other big playoff comebacks.

As someone who lives in a suburb outside of Chicago, the Cubs are owned by greedy people. When the White Sox won in 2005, they got their rings with no strings attached.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
There are no rings without the players. It's their hard work, their labor. They are the ones who ended the long drought and produced on the field, having to overcome a 3-1 deficit in the World Series, not to mention other big playoff comebacks.

As someone who lives in a suburb outside of Chicago, the Cubs are owned by greedy people. When the White Sox won in 2005, they got their rings with no strings attached.
Again you are missing the fact that this doesn't apply to the players. No player had to sign the contract. Players are free to do as they wish with their rings.
This is for the club support people.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Quote:
If you have this condition in place, you didn't give anyone anything. You are just letting them borrow it. Its not really theirs.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM770 View Post
If you have this condition in place, you didn't give anyone anything. You are just letting them borrow it. Its not really theirs.
Questionable. There is a discussion about the Cubs paying the taxes on the rings for their lower level employees, implying the team thought they were actually conveying something of value (not just lending) to their employees. If it was a loan, I doubt there would be a discussion of taxes. It's probably a gift, just one with a built in option to purchase it back, which is weird but understandable.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 04-20-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Maybe it's a lease? And if you wear the rings more than x amount per year you have to pay more.

Personally, if I was getting a ring with conditions I would just let the club keep it. And I agree, too many rings given out in the first place. A crazy number, actually.

Quote:
Questionable. There is a discussion about the Cubs paying the taxes on the rings for their lower level employees, implying the team thought they were actually conveying something of value (not just lending) to their employees. If it was a loan, I doubt there would be a discussion of taxes. It's probably a gift, just one with a built in option to purchase it back, which is weird but understandable.

Last edited by Leon; 04-21-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM

I don't agree with it at all. Don't give the employees rings if you're just going to claim you own them anyway. A ring is meant to be valuable otherwise it wouldn't be made with the stones they make them with. It would just be steel. Why dangle something like that in front of people?