NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Jason

Default T206 Wagner Gretzky/McNall

This may be known by some already but... After talking to representative from Memory Lane he said that Kendrick's son is very much into the hobby. And the first thing that went through my mind was that after seeing the Wagner sell many times in the last 20 or so years, we may never see it sell again. It was always exciting everytime it came up for sale.

Last edited by xcgrammer; 08-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

because it is confirmed to the hobby that the card is a fraud and won't sell for crap anymore. just a polished turd

Member since 2009
Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Tell us how you really feel Andrew. Actually I agree, many don't but I think there are a few Wagz that are nicer cards firstly because they are "complete" cards. Secondly because the don't have all the baggage of the Kendricks card. Dave.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Jon Canfield

Just my opinion, but I don't agree. I think the card will continue to stand as the most expensive of the Wagners. In my mind, it's different than a trimmed card (i.e., a card issued in one size, then trimmed to enhance its appeal). This card was never issued... sure it was cut to size from a sheet, but I look at the card as being something separate and apart from actual issued Wagners.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM

I guess it depends of what your definition of crap is. If it went up for sale at a big auction house tomorrow Id put the over/under at 1.5 Mil. Maybe Im just way off on that.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 PM
D@rek H.ogue

i am not even sure why, but my get tells me the card is still profitable ... it is just so gorgeous
Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Ken Goldin

There is no doubt in my mind that if I ever got this card for auction at Goldin Auctions I would make a very nice profit for Mr. Kendrick.
Regardless of how the die hard hobbyists and forum members feel about it, to the general public, it is an iconic card and the flag bearer for sports collectibles. I have zero doubt that at least two of the investment bankers or Fortune 500 CEOs on my registered bidder list would be very excited to own it.
Sometimes what the collector of cards for 30 years feels about an item ( and btw, I bought ny first t206 was I was 11, I turn 48 in two weeks) does not matter. What matters is how the general public feels and how people with the actual means to buy the card feel. This will always be the card that Wayne Gretzky owned and changed the Hobby's perception in the eyes of the general public forever.
To you it may be a card worthy of an "AUTH" grade. But to enough people, it is the worlds most valuable card.
Respectfully
Ken Goldin

Last edited by kengoldin; 08-04-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Bruce C@rter

Ken, I will agree with you that the card is an icon for card collecting. I also think it should not have made it to that level.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Card will always be worth money and will most likely continue to rise in value. First reason for this not all folks follow this hobby and all the drama that is public knowledge and the item is world famous it’s the corner stone of our hobby don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Second reason the rest of us that do follow the hobby and the drama pretty much ignore it were our own worst enemies. I see all this smack talk and crying about cleaning the hobby up yet for the most part it’s just that lip service.

We are given piles of evidence, federal fraud charges, grading scams and hosts of other examples. Yet when items come up we need or want very few of us sit on the sidelines out of morality. Nope were there money in hand bidding with the very folks who are the cause of the outrage. When were not bidding with criminals and scoundrels we are quoting webpages from proven scam artists once again talking about making a difference, not all of us but the bulk of us are guilty of some of these things myself included.

For these reasons the PSA 8 Wagner will always be a one really expensive card the most famous and valuable card in our hobby. If anything the drama around this card has increased its value.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 08-04-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

If I had the choice I'd pick the 8.

Last edited by atx840; 08-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Barry Sloate

The card is worth a ton of money, and always will be, despite its obvious problems. The owner is very happy with it, as well as his son, and that is what matters. The story behind it is not a good one but it will live on in spite of it.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-05-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that if I ever got this card for auction at Goldin Auctions I would make a very nice profit for Mr. Kendrick.
Ken Goldin
No doubt you could Ken. You are a marketing madman .......

Last edited by Leon; 08-05-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The card is worth a ton of money, and always will be, despite its obvious problems. The owner is very happy with it, as well as his son, and that is what matters. The story behind it is not a good one but it will live on in spite of it.

But if the owner knows its trimmed he should get it reholdered with the A grade.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
But if the owner knows its trimmed he should get it reholdered with the A grade.
That's his decision. If he wants to sell it I agree with you 100%. BUt if he plans to keep it he's not obligated to do anything.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
BUt if he plans to keep it he's not obligated to do anything.
Legally? No
Morally? Yes

If it were any other trimmed card that was slabbed with a number grade and the owner was aware of it, he would be frowned upon by most collectors for not doing the right thing and having it properly re-labeled. Not sure why the Wagner or Kendrick is any different.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Would you if you bought it?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM
pete ullman

Why would anyone...no matter how rich or poor regrade the Gret/McN Wags an A...thereby potentially devaluing it exponentially...makes no sense?!?!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Its his card, zero obligation to re holder it. Also when and if he puts it up for sale is there really even one legit potential buyer who wont know its history?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Legally? No
Morally? Yes

If it were any other trimmed card that was slabbed with a number grade and the owner was aware of it, he would be frowned upon by most collectors for not doing the right thing and having it properly re-labeled. Not sure why the Wagner or Kendrick is any different.
What if he wants to snap it out, destroy the holder, and put the card in a lucite screwdown. What is his moral or legal obligation if he still chooses to keep it?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Why would anyone...no matter how rich or poor regrade the Gret/McN Wags an A...thereby potentially devaluing it exponentially...makes no sense?!?!
Exactly. What's the upside?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:16 PM
pete ullman

To me...the fact that this was the first card PSA graded...and graded erroneously in fact...is a great part of the history of the card...and should remain in it's current crypt.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Exactly. What's the upside?
That's an interesting question. Let's say he broke it out & resubmitted it raw to PSA and PSA put the "A" on the slab. Would it change people's perception of PSA ? Give them publicity ?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
To you it may be a card worthy of an "AUTH" grade. But to enough people, it is the worlds most valuable card.
Respectfully
Ken Goldin
I don't see any reason it can't be both.

Steve B
Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned

agreed,

i wouldnt have a problem if it was the worlds most expensive, as long as it is holdered with the correct grade. It's only fair to the thousands of other collectors who submit their cards and rely on a fair grading system.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-05-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
So, if I'm reading correctly, it's not the card that has the value, it's the holder? Or, more specifically, the spot on the holder where the number or letter is noted?

Hmmm,
Doug
Old 08-08-2013, 05:03 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I think it only became the most valuable card after Mastro and professional sports authenticators conspired to grade it an 8. If it had been graded honestly it wouldn't have achieved that status. Dave Pierson
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Tony N.

Default Psa

Well PSA got 1 out of 2 right. Here is a link to the Gretzky McNall mate, the Eddie Plank card. It's graded PSA Authentic.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2009/890.html

One gets an Authentic, one gets an "8." What's wrong with that?

Tony
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Dan Bretta

Is PSA on the hook for any loss the card would take on a resale if they put the dreaded "A" on it?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Jeff

We are given piles of evidence, federal fraud charges, grading scams and hosts of other examples. Yet when items come up we need or want very few of us sit on the sidelines out of morality. Nope were there money in hand bidding with the very folks who are the cause of the outrage. When were not bidding with criminals and scoundrels we are quoting webpages from proven scam artists once again talking about making a difference, not all of us but the bulk of us are guilty of some of these things myself included.

Amen, and amen.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I'm speculating that there has been some contact between Mr. Kendricks Lawyers and PSA. PSA's silence on the matter is deafening. David.