NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2018, 09:13 AM
jrawlsian jrawlsian is offline
Steve
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 170
Default Say Hey! PSA/DNA

The vagaries of autograph collecting! There are a few old threads about Say Hey! stickers. This weekend Quick Opinion returned "Likely Not Genuine" on two examples I considered. I am fully aware this does not guarantee authenticity, because nothing really does! However, one of the examples in question is attached. I had read on this board that there could be a genuine question of authenticity with some of these items. I did go with a PSA/DNA example in the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1364.jpg (40.3 KB, 455 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Rookiemonster's Avatar
Rookiemonster Rookiemonster is offline
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nj
Posts: 1,346
Default

Ive made two threads asking this question and have not bought a item with this sticker because I never got a answer. Maybe it’s a dirty little secret no one wants to talk about. Maybe people are not sure. Maybe there are more fakes then real at this point.
__________________
Just a collector that likes to talk and read about the Hobby. 🤓👍🏼

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 06-26-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM
jrawlsian jrawlsian is offline
Steve
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 170
Default Ball #2

Likely Not Genuine according to PSA/DNA. I have noticed, as have others, that the inscribed balls in particular probably need to be double-checked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1)2.jpg (74.7 KB, 396 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2018, 01:25 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,381
Default

My experience is that when people don't respond to a thread it's usually because they don't know. Despite what Alex Jones says, there's no Rothschild/Gliteratti conspiracy going on in the shadows of Net54.

Last edited by drcy; 06-25-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2018, 01:36 PM
tazdmb tazdmb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Outside Detroit
Posts: 878
Default

It is believed that these stickers started off good, but somehow, the wrong person got a hold of them and added them to lots of bad stuff. It is also believed PSA and JSA originally passed many fakes, probably based on the sticker alone, but once the alleged truth got out there they are now hedging bets on what comes in.

To me, the sticker and the ďwagging tailĒ (as I like to cal it) at the end of Mays is sign to run away.


Just my 2 cents.
__________________
My Photobucket:
http://s184.photobucket.com/user/taz...?sort=3&page=1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Rookiemonster's Avatar
Rookiemonster Rookiemonster is offline
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nj
Posts: 1,346
Default The truth is out there !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
My experience is that when people don't respond to a thread it's usually because they don't know. Despite what Alex Jones says, there's no Rothschild/Gliteratti conspiracy going on in the shadows of Net54.
I think Alex Jones is on to something here. We have a ton of autograph experts on this board. Willie Mays is a all time great and always will be regarded as such.
Iím sure there is a Mays aficionado somewhere on this board that could look at browse the Mays authentications and say YUP something fishy is definitely going on, OR nope nothing going on they seem legit.

I mean people post random pics of of autographed baseballs and with a hour every auto is called out even no name minor leaguers!
__________________
Just a collector that likes to talk and read about the Hobby. 🤓👍🏼
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2018, 11:17 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I think Alex Jones is on to something here. We have a ton of autograph experts on this board. Willie Mays is a all time great and always will be regarded as such.
Iím sure there is a Mays aficionado somewhere on this board that could look at browse the Mays authentications and say YUP something fishy is definitely going on, OR nope nothing going on they seem legit.

I mean people post random pics of of autographed baseballs and with a hour every auto is called out even no name minor leaguers!
OR my favorite. When you get something you know nothing about and post a question about it. You get no answers on the forum but the experts all PM you asking to buy it. They are very helpful till you say it is not for sale, then nothing but crickets.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 PM
jimjim jimjim is offline
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 640
Default

From my experience, Willie didnít put inscriptions on the sweet spot. Always off to the side or on another panel.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2018, 07:21 AM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,608
Default

Or maybe some of us, me included, don't want to opine as much as we used to.

I know from personal communication with three of my collector friends, they no longer want to opine.....myself included.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2018, 07:50 AM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,608
Default

One more comment...

I've observed dozens of "Steiner" holograms on Jeter forged baseballs.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Or maybe some of us, me included, don't want to opine as much as we used to.

I know from personal communication with three of my collector friends, they no longer want to opine.....myself included.
They might not want to opine because they don't know or think they know and don't . Autographs are a minefield. Good luck to anyone collecting them on anything but official docs or without ironclad provenance. That all said, if you don't help your hobby it won't get better.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-27-2018, 09:27 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Or maybe some of us, me included, don't want to opine as much as we used to.

I know from personal communication with three of my collector friends, they no longer want to opine.....myself included.
That is too bad because I highly respect your opinion but I understand. I am the same way pointing out altered cards. Especially when it is obviously bad and the person who asks then wants to argue about it.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-27-2018, 10:39 AM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
They might not want to opine because they don't know or think they know and don't . Autographs are a minefield. Good luck to anyone collecting them on anything but official docs or without ironclad provenance. That all said, if you don't help your hobby it won't get better.
Leon, I can appreciate your comment, but it's not about that at all in discussing it with my collector friends.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-27-2018, 10:40 AM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is too bad because I highly respect your opinion but I understand. I am the same way pointing out altered cards. Especially when it is obviously bad and the person who asks then wants to argue about it.
Thank you, Ben.

And thank you for your empathy.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Leon, I can appreciate your comment, but it's not about that at all in discussing it with my collector friends.
Yes, I understand we are too open of a forum to share some things. I am positive there are some fraudsters who read the board.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:33 PM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes, I understand we are too open of a forum to share some things. I am positive there are some fraudsters who read the board.
Has zero to do with that.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-27-2018, 04:24 PM
Rookiemonster's Avatar
Rookiemonster Rookiemonster is offline
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nj
Posts: 1,346
Default They canít handle the truth !

So some truth appears thanks Molder. If we canít talk about here or get to the bottom of it together. Then I donít think anyone will have a clear idea of whatís going on.( The alterd Steiner autos is news to me). Iím not a big auto collector but I do enjoy adding some graphs. That being said what Leon said echos true if we wonít help each other then no one else will.
__________________
Just a collector that likes to talk and read about the Hobby. 🤓👍🏼
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-27-2018, 06:03 PM
earlywynnfan's Avatar
earlywynnfan earlywynnfan is offline
Ke.n Su.lik
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,617
Default

Based on what's been discussed before, here is how I approach Mays' autos with the Say Hey hologram: they have been tainted enough for me that I will not touch them. The final straw was comparing two Mays' sigs: one was an in-person that sold via Verkman auctions, the other any of the ones with the Say Hey holo. The in-person one was as shaky as you'd expect for a man of his age and (seemingly) health. The rest? Beautiful and perfect. How is that so?

No thanks, I'll say away. Just like I stay away from any not-early Global, Ace, etc. Maybe I'll actually miss a legit auto, but it's not worth my time and energy.

Ken

PS: I assume you've done searches here on the forum? If so, how much more can be said?

Last edited by earlywynnfan; 06-27-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 PM
jimjim jimjim is offline
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 640
Default

Here are my main points with Say Hey hologram. Early ones are real but most are fake. I havenít seen one authentic one that has an inscription. All the ones that have an inscription on the sweet spot are fake. Also look at his autograph and there are some glaring differences. Mainly the fake ones have peaks or little mountains for the Ďillieí. The real one look nothing like that. Just my opinion...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Here are my main points with Say Hey hologram. Early ones are real but most are fake. I haven’t seen one authentic one that has an inscription. All the ones that have an inscription on the sweet spot are fake.
I do not know if this is true, but my suspicions are consistent with Matt's.

In my view, the reason for the lack of response on the Sey Hey holograms is that people just don't "know." Lot's of smoke and suspicion, but lacking in enough evidence to make firm assertions.

Something does not seem right with these signatures and there is anecdotal evidence credible authentication firms are failing items with Sey Hey holograms. Are the holograms being counterfeited? Or were real ones stolen? Or is someone else in the organization signing for Mays?

All valid questions in my opinion.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 06-28-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
No thanks, I'll say away. Just like I stay away from any not-early Global, Ace, etc. Maybe I'll actually miss a legit auto, but it's not worth my time and energy.
Ditto.

You can routinely find May's signed baseballs from the 80s or 90s with undoubtedly authentic signatures for well under $100.

Why even mess around with these Sey Hey examples?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-28-2018, 11:51 AM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is too bad because I highly respect your opinion but I understand. I am the same way pointing out altered cards. Especially when it is obviously bad and the person who asks then wants to argue about it.
ahem... 1958 "Blue" Aarons.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-28-2018, 02:00 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
ahem... 1958 "Blue" Aarons.
LOL, yes I had one gentleman tell me I must not know who he is and how important he is in the hobby. I just replied with an OK but you are still trying to sell an altered card.

I have been thinking about selling that card with the description saying how that card saved collectors $ from scammers. I know before my post they sold for a premium. After the mass selloff right after my post I don't see them anymore.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Marchillo Marchillo is offline
St3phen M@rchillo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 360
Default

Great I have a Mays with a Say Hey that I got a while back. It also has a MRAK sticker on it. Are they legit? I did a google search and they actually put out a forgery advisory. So hoping itís legitimate. I got it a while back. Here is the link to the article. No inscription on mine.

http://www.mraksports.com/Forgery.htm
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.


ebay GSB