NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2016, 05:26 AM

Default Auction OVERLOAD!!

I know the season just started and all, but is anyone else feeling like there are just too many auctions taking place at the same time right now? Between REA, SCP, PWCC, Probstein, etc, etc there's is just so much product for me to wrap my head around!

Im starting to feel numb as I flip through lot after lot of items I feel like I 'must have' but either could never afford or are getting bid up to prices that I just can't justify paying. It feels like there is an endless supply oh high-end vintage.

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing for me personally or the hobby generally, but just thought I'd throw it out there to the board to see if others are feeling this way too.

DZ

Last edited by dzolot; 04-07-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:44 AM
Steven H.

Yes, I feel the same way. My bank account always gets very thin this time of year. This year is no different since there are so many rare items I've been searching for. I'm breaking out random.org to set my priority list since I can't make up my mind.
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 AM
Dave_Berg

I'm only interested in 1% of it, and can only afford 10% of those I do want... so the more choices the better!! Plus, I LOVE seeing all the great things out there.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:04 AM
James
James Kin.chen

It does seem like there are a lot of auctions now. You actually missed a few. I have 3 or 4 others saved on my favorites. 1 or 2 end tonight. Each one has a couple cards I need for sets I'm working on.
James
Old 04-07-2016, 06:18 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I'm only interested in 1% of it, and can only afford 10% of those I do want... so the more choices the better!! Plus, I LOVE seeing all the great things out there.
totally agree with this...interested in very little...but enjoy the eye candy!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzolot View Post
I know the season just started and all, but is anyone else feeling like there are just too many auctions taking place at the same time right now? Between REA, SCP, PWCC, Probstein, etc, etc there's is just so much product for me to wrap my head around!

Im starting to feel numb as I flip through lot after lot of items I feel like I 'must have' but either could never afford or are getting bid up to prices that I just can't justify paying. It feels like there is an endless supply oh high-end vintage.

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing for me personally or the hobby generally, but just thought I'd throw it out there to the board to see if others are feeling this way too.

DZ
When I saw "the season just started" at the beginning of this post I actually thought he was talking about the real season just starting.
The real live BASEBALL season, that still beats the auction season.
Not pieces of paper with pictures or pieces of paper with scribbles but swings and misses, base running, great pitching and home runs.
Much as I enjoy my collection I get much more enjoyment being at the ball park with my kids or my friends.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-07-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
When I saw "the season just started" at the beginning of this post I actually thought he was talking about the real season just starting.
The real live BASEBALL season, that still beats the auction season.
Not pieces of paper with pictures or pieces of paper with scribbles but swings and misses, base running, great pitching and home runs.
Much as I enjoy my collection I get much more enjoyment being at the ball park with my kids or my friends.
Yes, the baseball season is what I meant!

Appreciate the comments - they're making me feel better. But is anyone else concerned about what seems to be an endless supply of vintage?? How does this movie end??
Old 04-07-2016, 06:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Yes, the baseball season is what I meant!

Appreciate the comments - they're making me feel better. But is anyone else concerned about what seems to be an endless supply of vintage?? How does this movie end??
More like a television show, I'd say. Even when the show ends, it goes into syndication, so it never stops coming 'round.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
totally agree with this...interested in very little...but enjoy the eye candy!
+1 generally. The must haves are really few and far between, which isn't too bad, as that situation spares my bank account!

Well said, Pete!

Larry
Old 04-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Eric
Eric

Default If only I could focus...

If I could have just one clear collecting goal that would be great. Instead I look at the catalogs and get side-tracked ALL the time. Probably best for me if I don't open them. BUT I can't not open them! Need to see cardboard!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Jerry

Quote:
DZ
I was just thinking the same thing as I flipped through the new REA catalog. As much as I love looking at all that beautiful cardboard/memorabilia ... it's a real downer for me when I look at the prices. I wonder if there are some auction houses that specialize in lower graded cards/memorabilia? Like pre-war Good'ish and Post War VG'ish. I'm definitely a bottom feeder :-)
Old 04-09-2016, 07:40 PM

I am also a low end collector. How the hell do you think it feels to go to the National each year and not be able to afford stuff right in front of me ?
Old 04-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I am also a low end collector. How the hell do you think it feels to go to the National each year and not be able to afford stuff right in front of me ?
It probably feels about like the rest of us.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It probably feels about like the rest of us.
"Had another 30k+ offer yesterday but Cy stays...and because I know Greg S and Peter S want to see him again here he is."

.....not really
Old 04-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
"Had another 30k+ offer yesterday but Cy stays...and because I know Greg S and Peter S want to see him again here he is."

.....not really
It is all relative but good point.

Last edited by Leon; 04-10-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

DONT BID in any of the auctions!!!
Relax, Grab a cold one.
The GOOD STUFFis in the FALL AUCTIONS!!!!
Save your Money $$$$$
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 04-10-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
DONT BID in any of the auctions!!!
Relax, Grab a cold one.
The GOOD STUFFis in the FALL AUCTIONS!!!!
Save your Money $$$$$
Ha! The scary thing is that you are right!!

Tags
auction houses, bubble, excess