NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Paul Carek

Default Tristar Show at the Cow Palace

Was thinking of checking this out this weekend, but can't seem to access the exhibitor list. Anyone know if this show is good for vintage cards?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I went there two or three years ago and it was essentially all about the autographs only, with the sparse vintage card dealers being an afterthought. Almost everyone was there to wait in line to get things signed. I'm pretty certain I asked about it since then and others chimed in and related the very same feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Rich Klein

If you have never been, go once and make your own determination

While the focus might have evolved, there will also be nice card eye candy to view.

Rich
Old 04-04-2016, 04:04 PM

I usually found a pretty good selection of PCL stuff there when I was in the Bay Area. I left 3 years ago though.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Mark Macrae

Default An autograph show

There will be some vintage dealers there, but this is primarily an autograph show. I will be set up with Roger Neufeldt. Also, Sal Dichiera,Bob Celani and a few other local guys will have vintage and mid-century stuff. Plenty of helmets, baseballs, facsimile jerseys and photos to buy. Hemp con will be replaced with a gun show this time, so those looking to buy a sawed off shotgun and get Buster Posey to sign a baseball will be in heaven.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:36 PM
Dave Ba.lu.ta

Default Going Saturday

I'll be heading there Saturday afternoon with my 7-year-old son. There are usually a few dealers with vintage stuff there. Nice to know that at least you'll be there Mark
Old 04-09-2016, 12:12 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I'll be there Satirday as well. Always fun to go to a show. Good luck to those going!
Old 04-09-2016, 02:17 AM
I@n Cl@rke

I stopped by today to drop off some PSA subs (first ever). I'd originally intended to just pop in and out, but that became an impossibility once I started browsing. Regardless of what anyone considers a good, or bad show, it's always a beautiful thing to see tables of cards... '50's, '60's, pre-war, many low-mid grade, modern stuff, whatever. There may not have been loads of high end, "knock your socks off" stuff, but seeing lots of cards out and on display takes me back to shows and shops as a kid, where just seeing, maybe scoring a few nice (but not perfect) cards meant the most. Also no way I wasn't gonna check out Mark's table, get my fill of PCL and card I history. 3 hrs later, I had idea how I even thought I would just get in and out. May need to swing by Saturday too.

Separately, while standing in line at PSA, I started talking to a slightly older collector who had much of his collection loose, literally LOOSE (no sleeves) in a shoebox. He had a solid NM '56 Jackie Robinson, a super strong EX/EXMT '53 Mantle, and VG+ Mays and Mantle rookies. It was so cool seeing them in a box, moving around like that. Even the lower/mid grades looked really cool. I feel like cards, once encased and static in a plastic frame, are sort of under a microscope forever, making "flaws" like centering, surface blemishes, etc, really stand out to the eye... but when raw, these flaws all look much more acceptable to me.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:07 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I saw Yes there back in The Seventies - the Relayer tour, although now I think they will be a no-show

Last edited by Paul S; 04-09-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:23 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Separately, while standing in line at PSA, I started talking to a slightly older collector who had much of his collection loose, literally LOOSE (no sleeves) in a shoebox. He had a solid NM '56 Jackie Robinson, a super strong EX/EXMT '53 Mantle, and VG+ Mays and Mantle rookies. It was so cool seeing them in a box, moving around like that. Even the lower/mid grades looked really cool. I feel like cards, once encased and static in a plastic frame, are sort of under a microscope forever, making "flaws" like centering, surface blemishes, etc, really stand out to the eye... but when raw, these flaws all look much more acceptable to me.
Well said!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Well said!
I am in agreement too!! I think we critique graded cards a bit harsher (maybe rightfully so, I dunno)

And back to subject, I want to start looking at doing a Houston Tristar Show in the future..... could be fun.

Last edited by Leon; 04-10-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Rich Klein

Note to Leon

Next Tri-Star show in Houston is Father's Day weekend, if you don't have plans for the weekend as a father, I'd recommend going to see what a big show is like as a modern era dealer

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-11-2016 at 06:57 AM.