NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Default 1889 International Association Old Judges

Let me preface this thread by stating that this will only be of interest to a very few collectors, likely advanced Old Judge collectors. No reply/view records expected here

I decided to dig out some old research regarding the 1889 International Association Old Judge cards after seeing Kevin & John’s Buffalo discussion here => http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165019. As outlined in the Old Judge book, the International Association was entirely covered by team change cards. Only teams from the National League, American Association, Western Association, and California League were photographed. All other teams/Leagues found within the N172 run were merely partially covered via team change cards. This would include the Atlantic Association, International Association, Player’s League and a few other smaller minor league/amateur circuits.

What I find interesting, in each case, is looking at who Goodwin & Co. issued team change cards for, and conversely, who they missed. I have always followed the International Association a little closer than many since it was Detroit’s only baseball outlet after the NL team disbanded in 1888. Goodwin & Co. didn’t ignore the Wolverines with five different players being issued team change cards but they did miss out on another possible five.

When looking at all the players and managers who played or managed during the 1889 International Association season, a total of 45 different subjects were previously issued Old Judge cards. In all but one case, these cards were issued prior to 1889; the exception being Wallace Fessenden who’s first and only N172s were issued in 1889 as NL Umpire. Fessenden would also help manage the London team in 1889 and hence his inclusion to the list.

Three of the 45 subjects would jump around the Association and play for more than one team during 1889 which results in a total of 48 different player/team combinations. Of these 45 or 48 possibilities, 19 different players have been catalogued, covering every team but Buffalo. Buffalo has six candidates but nothing to show for it and I believe it will remain that way.

I believe the last IA player to be added to the list was Ed Cushman in the 1980s. Several copies have since surfaced with the total population perhaps closer to ten. Cushman is an interesting case since his “team change” card is his only card outside of his Spotted Tie pose. The photo Cushman's Toledo card is based on was taken in 1888 with Des Moines but wouldn't make its debut until 1889 with Toledo.

For those who would like to study the list themselves, I’ve attached my results below, sorted by last name and then by team. There is one error card that could be lumped in with the IA cards; that being Kid Baldwin with Detroit. Add one to both sides of the stat lines if you wish to include Baldwin.

For a little fun, if you could pick one IA team change card to surface, who would it be? I would pick Deacon White. Furthermore, I’d like it to be his portrait pose which would be entirely appropriate for the Manager of Buffalo.

Lastly, feel free to post your IA cards. If there is any interest in this thread, I will fill in the Detroit holes. To satisfy John Drecker, I’ll also accept 1888 IA cards (only one exists . . ., maybe he can show us who ).
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Excellent post Joe. Unfortunately I'm not home, so I can only go with the scans I have on this computer. Give me a minute on the 1888 card, I might have a scan somewhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0031.jpg (36.0 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (40.9 KB, 259 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Sorry I can't do any better from this computer. Here are the two poses from the 1888 Old Judge International League. This scan is so old, I found it on myspace...remember when people used to use that? I feel old! I've picked up three more since then and learned how to scan better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corc.jpg (67.5 KB, 251 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Cool Thread

I can play in this one, too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alvord.jpg (25.6 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg BLAIR.jpg (27.6 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPAU.jpg (33.6 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg CHILDS.jpg (33.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg PETTEE.jpg (36.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg SAGE.jpg (29.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg SERAD.jpg (31.6 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg TOOLE.jpg (32.0 KB, 234 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great post Joe! Maybe this will draw a few cards out of the woodwork.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

As I think about it, it is not surprising that there are no known Buffalo cards. Goodwin seems to have done projects on a team, rather than a player,basis. There are cards known for three of the four California League teams, but no Stockton cards. There are only cards for four of the eight Players League teams (again-no Buffalo) and for five of the eight 1890 National League teams (A Boston 1890 NL card has been found since he book came out).
Old 03-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default All 5 Detroits + Baldwin error

Where are all the OJ collectors?? There has to be more than the usual suspects that can contribute. Kudos to Kevin who covered all seven teams with his one post. I believe John can do the same and Jay could beat us all. I wouldn't consider the IA cards to be easy, but they are far from scarce. While I have at least one example of all the Detroit players, I do still need some poses (5 Detroit subjects responsible for 13 poses in total).

Looks like Alvord and Sage tried to copy each other's fielding pose. I really like the team change cards in which Goodwin & Co. modified the jersey to represent the new team (see Blair, Pettee, Rooks, and others).

I'd love to see some posts from others. Post them if you have them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1889 Detroit N172 Composite.jpg (87.5 KB, 367 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Where are all the OJ collectors??
How about closet OJ fans? I don't actively collect them, but I could certainly find room in my collection for more, if the ones I wanted ever showed up.

The only OJ I have is Serad with Toronto. I'd love to add the Toronto variations of McGuire and Hoover, but have to think that for me, that's as likely as Toronto variations of McGlone, McLaughlin and Titcomb all showing up!

In light of that, your theory is quite interesting. I'd love to see some more Toronto OJs added to the checklist. Cool thread, and great scans everyone (especially like all the Londons and Hamiltons posted).

Regards,

Richard.