NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-07-2023, 07:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Clayton, up to his old October antics

Dodgers
Dodgers Pitching
PITCHERS
C. Kershaw
TEAM
IP H R ER BB K HR PC-ST ERA
0.0 5 5 5 0 0 1 24-18 INF
0.0 5 5 5 0 0 1 24-18

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Playoff yips?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-07-2023, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

6 runs in a third of an inning tonight. His postseason ERA was 4.22 going in, compared to an astonishing regular season ERA of 2.48. It's completely inexplicable IMO except that he cannot handle pressure. After 39 games and 194 innings (oh, plus a third), it's no longer possible to write it off to sample size.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-07-2023 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:22 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

He's always struggled in the playoffs, but this was a new level. This could be a great series, especially with Gallen waiting
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-07-2023, 08:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

History should have taught Roberts that the minute Clayton is in trouble is the time to yank him outta there. He never should have still been in there to give up the three run shot.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:42 PM
Tim Odeen

I thought winning a WS had changed the yips narrative? But I was never convinced.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-07-2023, 08:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

A 2 run disparity between regular season and post season ERA. That is beyond incredible.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:57 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Sad for him
Sad for his team
Sad for his fans
The game was over before it started
Was looking forward to a good game but should have know better

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-07-2023, 09:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Sad for him
Sad for his team
Sad for his fans
The game was over before it started
Was looking forward to a good game but should have know better
Not sad at all!
Signed, devout Giants fan.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-07-2023, 09:54 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

His ERA this post season is 162.00 so far. Yippee for the D’Backs.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

His post season ERA is now 4.49.

Old 10-08-2023, 02:10 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

If their centerfielder had caught that 1st ball, could have been a completely different inning. How did they not give him an error???
Old 10-08-2023, 02:33 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
If their centerfielder had caught that 1st ball, could have been a completely different inning. How did they not give him an error???
If you misplay a ball so badly in the outfield that you have no chance of catching it, you don't get an error for some reason. That's how it's always been.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:32 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
If you misplay a ball so badly in the outfield that you have no chance of catching it, you don't get an error for some reason. That's how it's always been.
Just brutal. And you could see on Kershaw's face when he dropped the ball, he was like you got to be kidding me, here we go again.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:33 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Just brutal. And you could see on Kershaw's face when he dropped the ball, he was like you got to be kidding me, here we go again.
Definitely not the start he was looking for, but sometimes a pitcher has to pick up his fielder after a bad play. Kershaw is experienced enough that it shouldn't upset him to the point of giving up four straight hits after the bad play.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:37 AM
Tim Odeen

I got in a debate with someone who argued that Clayton Kershaw was a better pitcher than Bob Gibson. Regular season stats kind of make that argument. But I said I would never choose Kershaw as my #1 pitcher if they were on the same team because Gibson is a big game pitcher, and Kershaw is not.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-09-2023, 04:26 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I got in a debate with someone who argued that Clayton Kershaw was a better pitcher than Bob Gibson. Regular season stats kind of make that argument. But I said I would never choose Kershaw as my #1 pitcher if they were on the same team because Gibson is a big game pitcher, and Kershaw is not.

I've been a huge Kershaw fan (yet I hate the Dodgers) since day 1, it's a lefty thing. And you could excuse his first and 2nd bad outings, maybe even a 3rd or 4th due to how much the Dodgers are in the postseason, but when you have 8 or 9 bad outings, that's just not good.

Gibson no brainer.
Old 10-09-2023, 05:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've read the analyses debunking the concept of clutch players, but then we have Kershaw and you have to wonder. Even the best players may blow one occasionally (Mariano Rivera and the D-Backs, for example), but not over and over and over. If you take out 2020, Kersh is 11-13 with a rotten ERA, just shockingly ineffective when it really counts.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-10-2023, 03:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I've read the analyses debunking the concept of clutch players, but then we have Kershaw and you have to wonder. Even the best players may blow one occasionally (Mariano Rivera and the D-Backs, for example), but not over and over and over. If you take out 2020, Kersh is 11-13 with a rotten ERA, just shockingly ineffective when it really counts.
I don't need a statistician to tell me that TWO FULL RUNS HIGHER ERA, in as many games as he has now pitched, is meaningful and not sample size. You can see it in his face. Such a great pitcher, and such a good guy, what a shame.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-10-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
And if you take out game 5 of the '17 World Series or the games where he was mismanaged his ERA would be lower
Old 03-06-2024, 06:17 PM
Al Stein

Gibson was pretty amazing in the World Series. After pitching every 4th day in the regular season in '64 and "68 (he missed some time in '67), he started 3 games in each of those series, 81 innings total with a 1.89 ERA, a 7-2 record and two WS MVPs. What a competitor he was!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2024, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Gibson was pretty amazing in the World Series. After pitching every 4th day in the regular season in '64 and "68 (he missed some time in '67), he started 3 games in each of those series, 81 innings total with a 1.89 ERA, a 7-2 record and two WS MVPs. What a competitor he was!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
9 starts, 81 innings. One of the games went 10 (he pitched all 10), so he actually came out of one game after the 8th.