NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Cracking Slabs

For those of you who rescue cards from plastic tombs, do you have limits on doing this? Are you targeting mid or lower grade slabbed cards for this, or will you also crack out higher grade material?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
For those of you who rescue cards from plastic tombs, do you have limits on doing this? Are you targeting mid or lower grade slabbed cards for this, or will you also crack out higher grade material?
For me, there are two factors I consider when deciding to crack open a slab - purpose and value:

If it's for my personal collection and I plan to keep it raw, nothing else matters. I'll crack it no matter the value (or grade).

If I'm cracking it to re-sub, then I consider the value before cracking it. If it's less than $100, I'll usually crack it and submit it raw. I'm of the belief that a TPG (any of them) does look at the grade on another TPG's slab upon a cross-over review. I believe that's the first thing they consider when determining their own grade, so it's better to submit it raw. If the card is over $100, I'll usually try an equal crossover (still in the slab first).
Old 09-29-2013, 08:34 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks, David. For me, this is about collecting. I am not thinking in terms of sending to a TPG. However, I do agree with what you said.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Anyone else? I have a few '57 Topps stars graded 6s and 7s. The commons are all natural and in similar condition. I have thought about cracking out the 3 star cards I have that are 6s and 7s and storing the whole set in a toploader binder. I get the investment part, but I am much more interested in my cards for collecting and simply enjoying them.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:47 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I've cracked every 4, 5, and 6 I have ever got. Only once did I crack a 7, and that was a 54 Topps card not worth much. All that said, I only collect raw cards for sets and am not a fan of the inconsistent world of graded cards. The only time I get a graded card is if that is the best deal to me for the condition at the time...I buy the card, not the plastic. I highly doubt with my collecting methods I would ever end up with an 8 or above...as I will find a better deal in the same shape with a raw card.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 09-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Al Richter

Default Raw ?

Not raw.. cards in their natural state, nothing raw about them
Old 09-29-2013, 04:07 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I would also like all of my sets to be natural/raw/ungraded. I am torn between cracking out cards like my '57 Frank Robinson rookie that is graded SGC 84 (and deserves it) or sell it and move down to a centered 5 that is good for its grade and crack that out and create a little cash flow in the swap. I am not that hung up on the number assigned to it, as long as I am happy with it. I know some people are, and I could make a little $ and have a raw set.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Ben North

Most of the time when I buy graded cards it is to sell or trade. Everything for my personal collection gets rescued and set free from the ugly holders. Going to be setting free 2 T210's soon.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Most of the time when I buy graded cards it is to sell or trade. Everything for my personal collection gets rescued and set free from the ugly holders. Going to be setting free 2 T210's soon.
Even if in higher grade?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Even if in higher grade?
Because higher graded cards are usually at least 10X the price of a ungraded card in the same exact condition I do not buy them for my PC. If by chance I do get a high graded card at a reasonable price I crack it in the 2 seconds it takes to free the card.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:38 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Because higher graded cards are usually at least 10X the price of a ungraded card in the same exact condition I do not buy them for my PC. If by chance I do get a high graded card at a reasonable price I crack it in the 2 seconds it takes to free the card.
Thanks, Ben. I don't have any major high grade stuff....highest is a 7. I hear ya on the high prices of highly graded cards. I don't own any like that. I only have the 7s I have because I was able to get them at a reasonable price. I am thinking of cracking and storing in toploader binders.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Toploaderbinder

Has anyone used a toploaderbinder? If so, what do you think?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I've never heard the term "raw" until I joined here...haha...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Default Crack or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
......I'm of the belief that a TPG (any of them) does look at the grade on another TPG's slab upon a cross-over review. I believe that's the first thing they consider when determining their own grade, so it's better to submit it raw.

I absolutely agree with David. This would be a huge consideration if I ever have to submit a card for grading (I don't). I am primarily a set collector. Although I do not play the registry game I frequently buy graded cards. I usually keep my high $$ cards in their TPG holders for extra security. Then it ends up bugging me that I have a blank in my binders so I end up buying an extra card of the same player and filling the slot anyway.

However, I get a lot of enjoyment out of flipping through the graded cards in cases, which are stored separately in a secure environment. I rotate the cards on my desk. Cards are meant to be enjoyed and I find the TPG case gives me comfort when I have them out for my own enjoyment. I also find that some of the pre-war cards I collect are fragile (T200, V61) and having some form of case or protective plastic is almost a necessity.

Z Wheat

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 09-30-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Patrick N.

Default Flip

You can always keep the "flip" if deciding to resell for the lower-midgrade+ cards...

That said, for 7.5-9 cards would be better to not to crack out as a raw buyer might be suspicious, etc and would rather have the card in the original slab
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Al Richter

Default Pure