NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Mike

This may be over simplifying things but...This is a board of collectors. There are many reasons a card sells for what it does. Pricing on the BST is not a straight forward eBay minus fees. I am less worried about the prices remaining visible than the actual transaction remaining in the post. I am looking for something? I like to see who sold one recently. That way I can reach out and ask "Do you have any more?" "Do you know who might?"
Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
This may be over simplifying things but...This is a board of collectors. There are many reasons a card sells for what it does. Pricing on the BST is not a straight forward eBay minus fees. I am less worried about the prices remaining visible than the actual transaction remaining in the post. I am looking for something? I like to see who sold one recently. That way I can reach out and ask "Do you have any more?" "Do you know who might?"
Absolutely...this makes perfect sense Mike. What doesn't make sense is pretending knowing an asking price provides anyone with any useful or relevant information. If I want to see asking prices I'll just look at buy it now listings on ebay. That's always good for a laugh or two.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:14 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Just rereading for giggles and I saw something that I missed. Do you ACTUALLY EMAIL PEOPLE AND ASK THEM WHAT THEY SOLD THEIR CARD FOR? What planet are you from?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Lol Matt!
Old 08-14-2015, 11:40 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Just rereading for giggles and I saw something that I missed. Do you ACTUALLY EMAIL PEOPLE AND ASK THEM WHAT THEY SOLD THEIR CARD FOR? What planet are you from?
I have asked what a card sold for twice when I was actively looking for a card and just didn't get to a post in time.

I can see removing the asking price if a buyer requests it. I see no harm in leaving the information up. I have purchased a few cards from the b/s/t pages of Net54, and it never crossed my mind to make such a request. If I buy a card that was listed in a public forum, it's with the expectation that the asking price is already a public record. I may send a private offer via message and can understand why a buyer or seller might want to keep that offer and final price private.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:55 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I'm not sure why some here expect private transactions to be public knowledge. I'm hoping that those who would like the prices to remain don't feel that the access to 'free' information is a right. The only people who this should matter to, and who should have a say in the information around the transaction, would be the seller and buyer of the item.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:59 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i mark my prices as sold so i don't keep getting 50% offers on the price i list. i don't really understand all this argument about "asking price" vs "selling price" in this thread. i'm probably doing it wrong but most of the time my initial listed price is the selling price, or very close to it.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:10 PM

i dont really see the value of leaving *asking* prices up. there is too much noise in that variable for it to be a real meaningful input in one's decision about purchasing a card in the future. one person's asking price can be wildly higher or lower relative to another - and it further varies by card type, condition, graded or not, and other card and transaction specific characteristics.

i think the asking price becomes valuable only when we know the sold price. that way we can gauge how initial prices differ from the *true* market value. by itself, the asking price provides little information.

Last edited by majordanby; 08-14-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:21 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
I'm not sure why some here expect private transactions to be public knowledge. I'm hoping that those who would like the prices to remain don't feel that the access to 'free' information is a right. The only people who this should matter to, and who should have a say in the information around the transaction, would be the seller and buyer of the item.
In my opinion, a private transaction does not take place on a public forum.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
In my opinion, a private transaction does not take place on a public forum.
Private transactions happen all the time in public places, but it doesn't make them any less of a 'private transaction'. Buying an item at Walmart is still a private transaction.