NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Mike

Default 1984 Donruss # 21 Larry Parrish Variations

I don't know if this is old news but as I was sorting thru some 1984 Donruss cards I noticed this card came in 5 variations. They are all "Steel" backs.
1) No marks at top, 2) "L" shaped lines at top right corner, 3) Line at both top corners, 4) line at right top corner only , 5) Line at left top corner only. Various sizes of the lines are visable, based on the sheet cut at the factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84 donruss parrish.jpg (82.3 KB, 674 views)
Old 11-10-2020, 04:24 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I don't know if this is old news but as I was sorting thru some 1984 Donruss cards I noticed this card came in 5 variations. They are all "Steel" backs.
1) No marks at top, 2) "L" shaped lines at top right corner, 3) Line at both top corners, 4) line at right top corner only , 5) Line at left top corner only. Various sizes of the lines are visable, based on the sheet cut at the factory.
These aren’t variations, they are guides for cutting the cards from sheets. This is why you only see them on severe top to bottom miscuts.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 11-10-2020, 06:47 PM
Al Richter

But do make some cards more interesting
Old 11-11-2020, 10:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'd still count them. They're intentional marks put on the plate, and are different on different plates or different positions on the same plate.

And now I have to go look for them....sort of.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:58 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'd still count them. They're intentional marks put on the plate, and are different on different plates or different positions on the same plate.

And now I have to go look for them....sort of.
I really wanted this to be true but I’m not seeing what you are.

The lines are only visible due to a top to bottom miscut weighed heavily to the top. There aren’t any examples with the lines visible on a normally cut card with 50/50 centering.

Am I missing something?

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 11-11-2020, 11:18 PM
Al Richter

Kaline and Banks in the 1960 set can be found with such marks, and the Banks can be found with varying degrees of a printers notation of Section I in the bottom border. Scans can be found in the never ever ending variations thread .

Different people have different concepts or definitions of what should or should not be deemed a variation,but there is no hobby standard or official definition. To each their own.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:52 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

1992 Topps - [Base] - Missing Foil #621 - Dan Gakeler [Misprint]
Courtesy of COMC.com

This one is pretty cool. Topps Gold 1992 card with no foil on front. What's interesting about it, is that since it's Topps Gold and not the regular set, there is no player/team box on the front. I just assumed that the gold foil was covering the player name/team boxes on the front. But they actually designed them without any.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:43 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
I really wanted this to be true but I’m not seeing what you are.

The lines are only visible due to a top to bottom miscut weighed heavily to the top. There aren’t any examples with the lines visible on a normally cut card with 50/50 centering.

Am I missing something?

I think what he is saying is that depending on the sheet that the card is printed on you could have the same type of miscuts and completely different cut guide markers. For instance, in 1970 topps many of the cards can be found with cut lines at the top of the card and even though they are technically miscut, you can find the same card with a white cut line or a black cut line depending on the sheet it was printed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk