NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Default 1914 Texas Tommy Type 1

Posted By: JC

With the constant changing in prices for pre-war material. I am working on a deal that includes and Old Judge Stovey (Not Boston) and a 1914 Type 1 Texas Tommy E224 of Chance. I'm not sure what the current market value is on the Chance card. It is in Ex condition with 3 out 4 corners being pretty good. The bottom right corner has some kind of burn mark on it (not bad though). The back is fine and the photo on the fron is very clear. I do not have a PIC to show yet since the person I'm dealing with does not have a computor and uses a color photo copier to show PICS. My description is the description the seller gave me over the phone. Is this a 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K or more card? Thanks for the comments good or bad.. JC
"husband-of-tammy"

Old 02-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: slacks

<<My description is the description the seller gave me over the phone.>>

I'd usually have an opinion, but it's really hard to get past that sentence...

Old 02-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Keep your message to yourself then! My brain does not function well after midnight.. Who is Slacks anyway?

Old 02-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

10 years ago. The Chance lists for 4,000 in NR mint, 1,200 in VG.

(Maybe I can egg slacks on to identifying self): because of the at least partly feminine connotation of "slacks," I've been wondering if you are a woman--wishful thinking, probably.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

maybe "Slacks" is a Katherine Hepburn fan?

Old 02-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: slacks

JC: I didn't mean to offend you. My point was not about your grammar, rather it was supposed to convey that condition is so important that even a ballpark figure couldn't be arrived at. For example, "rounded corners" can mean almost anything. I’ll try a more constructive suggestion: have the seller go to OfficeMax, pay to have them scan the card and e-mail it you. I think that runs about $3.00, which IMO is $3.00 well spent by you if you are thinking of buying it.

RE: Slacks.
Bottom line: I am hesitant to list identifying information on the board about myself. It's not the board members I'm have concerns about, but the countless number of lurkers. Anyone with a little but of incentive could find my house if they knew only my name and the IP address listed by my posts.

Although I'm sure my collection is dwarfed by most of yours, I don't keep my cards in a safe deposit box ('cause I like to play with them) and I'd rather not run the risk of advertising where it is.

Please note that I have confined my posts to opinions and analyses, and not attempted to spread unsubstantiated rumors or malign other hobbyists, hiding behind a name so as to avoid backlash.

Again, please don't take the above as mistrust of anyone that pots here. I've bought and sold cards to a few of you and have no reservations there. It's just that everyone has their own risk parameters, and I'd like to avoid inadvertently advertising the fact that I have highly liquid collectibles when their location is so easily available.

P.S. I just happen to really, really like the work “slacks,” so by identifying myself with a cool word, I hope to raise my own station in life just a little.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nickinvegas

JC,
Hopefully you can pull the deal off.

As you may or may not know I collect Frank Chance stuff.

In my opinion the card would sell at auction around $1,500. Atleast that is what I would bid. I preface that by saying it really depends on the severity of the 'burn' mark.

There are other Hall of Famers in the set that have the same book value in SCBBC($4K NM): Baker,Bender,Crawford,Evers,Lajoi,Mcgraw,Wheat and Speaker(+$200). I think that as far as popularity goes Chance is probably towards the bottom of this list. Thus, either the other hall of famers are undervalued in Lemke's book or Chance is over valued.

Just some food for thought...

Regards,
Nick

Old 02-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

of Type 1 Texas Tommy cards in the past six months or so in my desk mark-up copy of the catalog, all "commons" and all graded EX by the seller(s). The sales prices were $2,198, $1,387 and $1,310. The first was on a Larry Doyle, the second and third on a Jake Stahl (possibly the same card). All were eBay sales and "book" for a common in EX is $1,125.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I consigned the Doyle and Stahl to the last Lew Lipset auction and they did very well compared to the guide prices. I think they went for $1998 (Doyle) and $1261 (Stahl) plus the 15% juice. They were in vg-ex condition in my opinion. I paid about $2700 after commission for my Walter Johnson about 5 years ago. I would think the card you are talking about would be in the 2300-3000 range today....good luck on it...talk to ya soon....

Old 02-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Almost every Texas Tommy type 1 I have seen has been o/c. I would almost be suspicious if I saw one that wasn't. Well, not really but you know what I mean? best regards
ps...tempting spot for a pic

Old 02-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Administrator

sorry for the Hankron posting, posting, posting, here just kidding David....but I believe the fee for Lew's auction was 10% buying and selling on the Texas Tommy's..I have bid in his current auction and don't even know the buying fee....oh well....hopelessly addicted...

Old 02-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

..unlike everyone elses.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

You can tell it's trimmed, instead of borderless, because the last line of type is cut off on the back, and it's completely lacking in gloss--like the type 2s have.