NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Erik

Thanks for the quick detective work, guys!

I don’t know if any other roster pennants aside from those Greg listed. That would be a great ‘set’ to complete!
Old 02-13-2021, 03:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
Thanks for the quick detective work, guys!

I don’t know if any other roster pennants aside from those Greg listed. That would be a great ‘set’ to complete!
I cannot think of any other roster versions either.

But here are two Cincinnati Reds pennants presumably from the same "mystery manufacturer". In the pennant pair, it's the top one (which for some reason is far more scarce than the pennants pictured earlier).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardsonbat7.jpg (34.9 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg Reds Pennants (2).jpg (69.0 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 02-13-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

More from the mystery maker....

Athletics, Giants, Cubs and possibly the White Sox as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardsonbat6.jpg (52.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg cardsonbat9.jpg (61.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg cardsonbat8.jpg (72.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg cardsonbat10.jpg (81.6 KB, 158 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 03:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I bet they made this oddball as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardsonbat11.jpg (28.5 KB, 160 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 03:32 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I've got to believe it's the exact same company that made these more common ones...
These pennants are also a bit smaller than Trench but not 3/4. These are the ones which sometimes have have a “split spine” sewn continuously, as if they ended a roll mid pennant and just started a new one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3087B4D-87D7-4370-8E3E-3984E853E255.jpg (19.9 KB, 160 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 03:35 PM

Good ones Mark ... White Sox yes, only a bit unsure about the awesome Mr. Red pennant. The appearance of stitching on the back would be the key.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:46 PM
Rob

No one owns this bad boy, do they? I'm not sure it even exists, except in this 27kb picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62champs.jpg (26.6 KB, 161 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 04:03 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
More from the mystery maker....

Athletics, Giants, Cubs and possibly the White Sox as well...
This Cubs also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 646FCF65-E56A-4902-8A85-B88B979019A4.jpg (13.2 KB, 157 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 02-13-2021, 04:12 PM

Anyone think this one may be from the same manufacturer? I know I've seen it before with a split spine; and it's from the same era as the others....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrooklynDodgersThe BumsPennant.jpg (19.9 KB, 157 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 05:29 PM
Marc

Following-up on earlier posts from Greg and Mark about much loved and surviving pennants, I finally managed to get a real SF Seals pennant. Been looking for a good number of years, so jumped on this one even though it clearly has some condition issues.

It was certainly much loved by someone and I kind of like it for that (I'm not going to try any cleaning or repairs). Someone wrote player names on the white paint in several places. (Not sure why my uploaded pics always look a bit fuzzy, they don't on my phone/computer).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seals pennant.jpg (47.8 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 05:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Following-up on earlier posts from Greg and Mark about much loved and surviving pennants, I finally managed to get a real SF Seals pennant. Been looking for a good number of years, so jumped on this one even though it clearly has some condition issues.

It was certainly much loved by someone and I kind of like it for that (I'm not going to try any cleaning or repairs). Someone wrote player names on the white paint in several places. (Not sure why my uploaded pics always look a bit fuzzy, they don't on my phone/computer).
I love it Marc! I’m glad the condition issues allowed you to get it at a good price. Any superstar names on there?
Old 02-13-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Anyone think this one may be from the same manufacturer? I know I've seen it before with a split spine; and it's from the same era as the others....
Yes no question. Also fitting in here are these pennants, 1948-50 with a ribbon graphic ... Mark has a beautiful rare Dodgers example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 206CB787-D2C1-4FA6-9DF5-F60173D5C4C0.jpg (20.4 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 290ED3D2-5FBA-4F7F-A8F6-073756C645F9.jpg (20.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Marc, glad you got this ... beautiful rare pennant! Clearly an early Trench.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
No one owns this bad boy, do they? I'm not sure it even exists, except in this 27kb picture.
WHOA ... now this is interesting. Never saw this before.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:25 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
WHOA ... now this is interesting. Never saw this before.
If you find one, get it for me. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:02 PM
Erik

Default Hey, pennant guys

Quote:

That’s a great pennant, Marc. Congrats and glad you got it! The extra ‘love’ makes it more interesting imho.

Last edited by erikc21; 02-14-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:27 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post

This is a really basic question, but assuming all these pennants are from the same manufacturer, we don’t know who actually made them?? Do we think it’s a company yet to be identified, or is it these pennants cannot yet be attributed to a known entity? This is probably addressed in previous conversations.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
This is a really basic question, but assuming all these pennants are from the same manufacturer, we don’t know who actually made them?? Do we think it’s a company yet to be identified, or is it these pennants cannot yet be attributed to a known entity? This is probably addressed in previous conversations.
I believe it’s one company, not one of ones we know (i.e. not Trench, Ad Flag, Keezer, or WGN) and we have yet to identify it. They are all very similar in material, stitching, size, style, etc. and they seem to have made as many as Trench did.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:29 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I bet they made this oddball as well...
Why oddball, Mark? This was one of two Washington pennants I had on my wall as a youngster in the early 1950s, so always had great affection for it. I should make this a separate post, but is there any significance to read into pennants with a yellow spine that also came in variations with a white spine? Earlier as opposed to later, perhaps? I have found the yellow spines to be noticeably rarer than the white ones, at least when t comes to Washington pennants.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Why oddball, Mark? This was one of two Washington pennants I had on my wall as a youngster in the early 1950s, so always had great affection for it. I should make this a separate post, but is there any significance to read into pennants with a yellow spine that also came in variations with a white spine? Earlier as opposed to later, perhaps? I have found the yellow spines to be noticeably rarer than the white ones, at least when t comes to Washington pennants.
I guess oddball wasn't the right descriptive word. I just meant that the artwork was odd, in comparison to other pennants of the era (most of which featured a friendly or benign mascot like Mr. Red, Uncle Sam or the scruffy Brooklyn Bum). This one depicts an intense in-game scene with sharp angles and more complex, unique artistry. It's no doubt authentic and of the era... just a bit different in appearance than your typical 1940s-50s pennant.

As for the spine color... I think it just came down to what the company had in stock at the time. Safe to say that white and yellow were the predominant colors of the day. But I would surmise that the differing spine colors were just based on the company's existing inventory at the time (and would not read any more into it than that).

Last edited by perezfan; 02-14-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:45 PM
Marc

Quote:
I believe it’s one company, not one of ones we know (i.e. not Trench, Ad Flag, Keezer, or WGN) and we have yet to identify it. They are all very similar in material, stitching, size, style, etc. and they seem to have made as many as Trench did.
Because this company made football pennants for so many high schools and colleges, it seems like there would be a catalog somewhere. About a year ago, I looked around for archives of university books stores, but came up with nothing. I worked a bit with some of the library faculty at my university. Their biggest research find was Kyle's Pennant Fever website.

So, Kyle, seriously, you should put it all in a book someday. The info you have collected doesn't exist elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Because this company made football pennants for so many high schools and colleges, it seems like there would be a catalog somewhere. About a year ago, I looked around for archives of university books stores, but came up with nothing. I worked a bit with some of the library faculty at my university. Their biggest research find was Kyle's Pennant Fever website.

So, Kyle, seriously, you should put it all in a book someday. The info you have collected doesn't exist elsewhere.
Co-signed. Kyle, your work is amazing. And if you ever undertake this endeavor I’ll help however I can and I’m sure others here would too.

And yes I think this is the company behind all the “straight-arm” football pennants.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I guess oddball wasn't the right descriptive word. I just meant that the artwork was odd, in comparison to other pennants of the era (most of which featured a friendly or benign mascot like Mr. Red, Uncle Sam or the scruffy Brooklyn Bum). This one depicts an intense in-game scene with sharp angles and more complex, unique artistry. It's no doubt authentic and of the era... just a bit different in appearance than your typical 1940s-50s pennant.

As for the spine color... I think it just came down to what the company had in stock at the time. Safe to say that white and yellow were the predominant colors of the day. But I would surmise that the differing spine colors were just based on the company's existing inventory at the time (and would not read any more into it than that).
This will confuse things a bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90992EE4-1F9C-449C-A81A-6398160A2FEF.jpg (20.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
The cigar smoking Senator and the Nationals pennant were made with white and gold spine, though I actually have more in gold. I’ve only seen the Capitol building pennant with gold spine. (I love the Nationals pennant by the way, it’s a GREAT graphic.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1699EF03-9EBF-43E5-AFCB-EFE3EDF4C85F.jpg (19.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 49A01939-FF50-46AC-8397-150BC08ECFDF.jpg (20.5 KB, 157 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 06:00 PM

Maybe gold was used heavily by Trench because there were hardly any pennants with gold body. Here’s the only Trench one I know of, along with the only white felt one they made. (Of course they made plenty in white cloth.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2DE7114F-6CA6-44F8-B8AD-807AA251C218.jpg (20.9 KB, 158 views)
Old 02-15-2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:

They found my site!? That's awesome

I won't ask you what they thought of it....
Old 02-15-2021, 12:53 AM

Quote:

I'm not gonna guess who this mystery maker was; but, they had to be HUGE. From what I've seen, in the 1940s, they had to be as active as Trench, perhaps more. They dominated the football and baseball pennant markets; and they did so for both professional and collegiate teams; and, their clients covered the entire nation. I don't believe this company is Trench, ADFLAG, WGN, or Keezer. But I do believe they're a company we will have heard of before (just maybe not realized they made felt pennants?).

I won't say more ... okay fine I will: I have suspected for the past few months that this mystery maker may be one of two companies, both based in New York state: Norsid Mfg. Co., of Yonkers; and Annin & Co. of NYC.

One day we'll no for sure....
Old 02-15-2021, 11:59 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Maybe gold was used heavily by Trench because there were hardly any pennants with gold body. Here’s the only Trench one I know of, along with the only white felt one they made. (Of course they made plenty in white cloth.)
Then which company made these?

https://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/lot-34460.aspx

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...151550-42068.s
Old 02-15-2021, 01:29 PM

Default bf2 premium

My 10th and last. Sorry about the size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img066.jpg (78.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-15-2021, 02:28 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
The cigar smoking Senator and the Nationals pennant were made with white and gold spine, though I actually have more in gold. I’ve only seen the Capitol building pennant with gold spine. (I love the Nationals pennant by the way, it’s a GREAT graphic.)
Me, too, it was one of two I grew up with on my walls. In my experience in dealing Senators/Nationals stuff, this pennant is much more common with the white spine, maybe something on the order of five white to one yellow, I'd guess. The "Mr. Senator" pennant more even between spines, I'd say, but still more white than yellow. I'm sure you guys know this, but it's cool that Mr. Senator was drawn by Red Auerbach's brother, Zang, who also did the the Celtics leprechaun. The Auerbachs lived in D.C., and I went through school with Red's daughter, Nancy.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 02-15-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Mark the Mears link seems to be dead, the Braves pennant on Heritage screams Ad Flag. Look at the cut ... like an eight year old with his art class scissors! That being said I do recall a white felt Phillies pennant with the TMC trademark. And there is a white Red Sox scroll pennant from the mid 50s. But they are very rare.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
Great pennant, and super duper rare! Congrats!
Old 02-15-2021, 03:17 PM
Gary

I've had delivery of my Reds Burger Beer pennant today. It looks a lot better in person and ironed flat.

The felt looks the same as on my other 40s and 50s pennants. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210215_215923.jpg (82.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20210215_215951.jpg (75.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20210215_220005.jpg (73.6 KB, 147 views)
Old 02-15-2021, 03:46 PM
Gary

I also had these 2 arrive today. The green one seems like a variant of one in Mike Eglan's book. After looking through PennantFever, I'm thinking it's a WGN. Thoughts?

I believe the Dodgers Team pennant is from 1967 (Gene Michael only played for the Dodgers in 1967.) Any ideas about the manufacturer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210215_220340.jpg (82.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20210215_220221.jpg (82.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 02-15-2021, 04:35 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
That’s fantastic that you finally got one. Your incredible collection just became even more amazing. Congrats.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 02-15-2021, 04:43 PM
Gary

Quote:
Beautiful pennant. Well done.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I also had these 2 arrive today. The green one seems like a variant of one in Mike Eglan's book. After looking through PennantFever, I'm thinking it's a WGN. Thoughts?

I believe the Dodgers Team pennant is from 1967 (Gene Michael only played for the Dodgers in 1967.) Any ideas about the manufacturer?
Hey Gary, nice trio of pennants. Reds is definitely a local production. Top Dodgers is Ad Flag. Bottom is Trench and one of the rarer picture pennants.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post

The green Dodgers is actually an AdFlag and the Picture Pennant is Trench.

Nice pickups.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:26 PM

Recent auction win below. I don’t see this often. The white version is even harder to find. ASCO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 910E1ED7-902D-4114-BD03-D4675976EF75.jpg (20.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 1F86725C-5CB8-47F1-A123-5B0CD1042690.jpg (15.0 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 02-15-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well the folks at ASCO should've brushed up on their Spanish 101.

Wouldn't it be Los Cardos, rather than El Cardos?
Old 02-15-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Well the folks at ASCO should've brushed up on their Spanish 101.

Wouldn't it be Los Cardos, rather than El Cardos?
Tienes razon, senor!

(You are correct, sir!)

Can't imagine there were many Spanish speakers living in 1960s Winona, MN.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:33 PM

Apparently this originated with noted linguist Joe (pound the Budweiser) Schultz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28D394CB-DFC3-4DF6-8DBD-BED1964D18CB.jpg (20.3 KB, 138 views)
Old 02-15-2021, 11:23 PM
Chris Wood

Default Photo

Vendors selling merchandise outside of Forbes Field during the 1960 World Series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 979BEB6B-CD50-462C-A857-8C1D0823CD3C.jpg (18.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:28 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Thanks Chris. Cool photo.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:39 AM
Rob

Approaching 100 pages, 5000 posts and 1M views. It’s like the Triple Crown!
Old 02-16-2021, 11:01 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Awesome photo Chris!!!
Old 02-16-2021, 12:39 PM
Rob

As I sit here in my cold, dark, powerless Houston home, I can take pride in the fact that I live in the energy capital of the world. That being said, now approaching 24 hours without power (in what's being advertised as "rolling" blackouts...Nothing rolling about it in our neighborhood) I've had plenty of time to troll the web and saw this sold yesterday. I know we have some Minnesota guys here so thought I'd share. Pretty rare...

Bit of an odd listing...The seller indicated he had six available and all sold within 7 minutes of each other to four different buyers. Private listing. Anyway, very experienced seller but it feels like he probably could've asked for and gotten more. Seeing his other listings and having tried to negotiate with him before, I wouldn't think he'd be one to leave money on the table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minnesota Twins Grain Belt.jpg (77.7 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Fballguy; 02-16-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:43 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
As I sit here in my cold, dark, powerless Houston home, I can take pride in the fact that I live in the energy capital of the world. That being said, now approaching 24 hours without power (in what's being advertised as "rolling" blackouts...Nothing rolling about it in our neighborhood) I've had plenty of time to troll the web and saw this sold yesterday. I know we have some Minnesota guys here so thought I'd share. Pretty rare...

Bit of an odd listing...The seller indicated he had six available and all sold within 7 minutes of each other to four different buyers. Private listing. Anyway, very experienced seller but it feels like he probably could've asked for and gotten more. Seeing his other listings and having tried to negotiate with him before, I wouldn't think he'd be one to leave money on the table.
I have been looking for that one for YEARS. I was the second buyer and got a refund 45 minutes later. I would have gone several times higher on it. Still sick to my stomach.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-16-2021, 12:49 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Related to the Twins pennant, this one went for around $500 a few weeks ago. I'm not much of a football guy, so others will have to weigh in, but it must be one of the tougher Vikings pennants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (89.2 KB, 121 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-16-2021, 01:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I have been looking for that one for YEARS. I was the second buyer and got a refund 45 minutes later. I would have gone several times higher on it. Still sick to my stomach.
I'm having trouble making sense of this. The seller had 6 copies of the pennant. You state that you were the second buyer. But 45 minutes later, the seller issued you a refund? Does that mean the seller voided the sale for some reason?

It seems like you are disappointed at missing out, but it's not clear how that happened. Not a big deal, but hoping you can clarify!