NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Default Looking for input from Photo Collectors

Hi everyone. With 20 years of collecting and evaluating news photos, I would like to ask you the following;

Beyond your personal collecting preferences (for example; your preferred subject… Lou Gehrig or 1927 Yankees or Marilyn Monroe), what are the specific factors you consider when determining the value of a news photo? Specifically, what do you look at to value a photo, and how would you rank those factors in importance? This may take some thought, but might be interesting.

How important is the quality of the image (clarity, contrast,etc)?
How important is actual condition of the photo?
How important are the stampings or a caption being attached?
How important is knowing who the photographer was?
Etc….etc…..etc

You get the idea.

Oh, I want to get as many collectors opinions as possible, so you may see this same question posted by me on another forum.

Robert >>
Old 03-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Of course subject matter is the most important to me, but after that I prefer Type 1 photos, condition doesn't matter as much as long as it's not in such poor shape that it affects the image, the caption is not important to me at all if I already know what the photo represents, but I do like a date stamp. It is not important to me at all to know who the photographer was. I suppose my answer will be representative of most who are more concerned about subject matter above all else.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Pics

Content by far, then clarity, then date stamp, then photog. Its all about the subject matter...I do prefer type 1 or the rare personal sports photo.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Hi Dan...

Thanks for your response. A question... Considering many captions have dates on them, and of course include a description of the event or subject, would you still prefer just a date stamp?

Thank you also to oriolesbb6. When you say "date stamp" do you mean an issuer stamp or simple date, i.e. ... OCT 14 1955.

Thank you guys!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Dan Bretta

I don't mind the captions on the back, but am not a big fan if the caption extends out beyond the frame of the photo (makes it harder to display or store)...I also am not a fan of captions on the front of photos like the one below, but I take what I can get if the subject matter is in my wheelhouse.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Archive

Robbie

First off, I'm a rookie in this department, but I have a small collection of photos.

I like "date specific" photos such as a photo of a World Series game or an All-Star Game. I also like photos that show other events, not just poses or action shots. For instance, I have a photo of Bob Feller with the Marble Champion from Akron, Ohio playing marbles in the on-deck circle before a game. Interesting photo since Mr. Feller is only 19 in the photo and marble champion looks to be maybe 17. It looks like just two average boys playing marbles, but one is a professional baseball player of course.

As far as the photographer and captions, I don't focus much on that except I do like when the photo has the newspaper slug on the back. I also leave any markings on the front of the photo alone. I know some collectors remove them, but I actually like them there. Condition isn't really a big factor with me either.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Hi Jantz...

I like your Bob Feller photo description. I believe he was pitching in the majors before he even graduated high school! A true phenom in his time. Thanks for your input.

Robert >>
Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Archive

Robert

Yes, he was young when he started with the Indians. This got Cleveland into some hot water too. I was once told that the Yankees were waiting in the wings with a large offer if Cleveland had to cancel his initial contract, but Landis allowed him to stay with Cleveland.

Hope you don't mind a visual... After looking at the photo again, I think the marble champ may be a little younger than I posted earlier. All I know is that this photo was a "must have" for my collection.

Hope you enjoy

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 05-03-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:18 AM

The photographer does matter, but the photographer is rarely listed on a news photo so it usually doesn't matter. If the listed photographer is very famous, add a premium. If the photographer isn't listed or isn't very famous, don't worry about it.

The stamps and captions are important in that they help establish age and originality, especially for lay people. I prefer a good stamp or identifying tag on the back of a photo, whether it's from a newspaper or Vogue magazine. It's easier to resell a photo that has such identification on back, especially if the claim is it's by a famous photographer ... Many wirephotos have the caption on the front, so obviously in those instances an additional stamp or tag on back isn't required.

Image subject (ala Babe Ruth, famous particular game) is important along with quality of the image (clarity, artistry, uniqueness, even humor).

As far as condition goes, look at overall presentation value, in particular of the image. A wrinkle or crease to the white border pretty much means nothing, though a crease through the image would. Some honest wear that doesn't effect the image might not lower the value. With a vintage photo, grade Ex should be worth about the same as grade Near Mint. No one should care that an edge isn't Gem Mint. Realize that baseball card grades are applied to cards were thousands to tends of thousands of a card were made. With that 1909 Ty Cobb, there will be no more than a few in existence. Worry about overall presentation value, not razor sharpness of edges and corners.

Besides, you won't find Pre-WWI news photos that are Gem Mint. If you find one, its probably either a reprint or was trimmed. News photos were production items literally paper thin, and didn't last to today in Gem Mint condition. Dings and toning and wrinkles are the norm.

Last edited by drc; 03-05-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 AM

Default Welcome aboard Robbie.

As usual, not much more to add once Dr. C. weighs in on this subject

Best, Jimmy
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Scott

I enjoy photos, tho don't collect them per se. I find it interesting though, that there is so much "debate" and even at times, outright disagreement, over this. For me, isn't the most important thing that the photo is old, and one likes the image? All this Type One, Type two, and Type fifteen stuff is really mainly important for value, isn't it? yes, of course, a Type One original would have the most desirability, but this at times seems to be an issue that gets out of the "hobby" and more into the "business" of collecting, which honestly for a guy who wished he had the means to have a nice collection, is kind of sad in a way.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
All this Type One, Type two, and Type fifteen stuff is really mainly important for value, isn't it? yes, of course, a Type One original would have the most desirability, but this at times seems to be an issue that gets out of the "hobby" and more into the "business" of collecting

Scott, I agree about the value. But, more importantly... If you had identical images in front of you, of a scratched, creased, stained etc T1 and a T3. Most wouldn't even want to look at the modern copy.

With the real McCoys', the clarity is stunning. Inspite of all the wear.

Incidentally, I recommend folks just collect baseball cards. They're just better. Steve
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Scott

Well Steve, of course I don't want some ripped. scratched up photo ,and would love to have the absolute original. But, Ive seen some beautiful photos that weren't absolutely a "Type One" etc, and would gladly have them, for the sheer beauty of the image.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Rob Sl@+kin

Default More Thoughts on Photos

So, would you put a higher value on a perfectly clear photo with no stamping, or a photo almost as clear with good stamping?

Last edited by Robbie; 03-05-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Dave

wrong thread

Last edited by D. Bergin; 03-05-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Dave

oops

Last edited by D. Bergin; 03-05-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 03-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Legendary has the unsold photos up for sale right now. I looked them over and there area some nice examples at good prices.

The use of stamps and tags is to help identify and date the photo. A tag sometimes serves this purpose and a stamp sometimes serves this purpose.

Last edited by drc; 03-05-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

David...

Where are they? I don't see them on ebay or Legendary's website. If on ebay, what is theseller name they use?

Thanks for the tip!
Mark
Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nevermind, David.... just saw the email from them!

Thanks for the heads-up....
Old 03-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Since the newspaper business appears to be in freefall I'd guess we're going to see a lot more photo archives come up for sale.

As for the question w/r/t photographer, it depends on the era. If we're talking 19th century cabinets and CDVs I absolutely prefer an image from a well-known photographer over a comparable anonymous image.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...