NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2013, 05:20 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default OT: Read any good books lately?

Well its that time of year again when my extended family wonder what to get me for Christmas. For the last few years I have asked on Net54 for any book suggestions. I always get some insight and pass the list along and inevitably end up with a good supply of baseball reading for the next year.

Instead of listing what I already have I will just leave it open for any and all suggestions as this might help benefit other reader on the boards as well. I'll add in a good list in a future post of what I have read and liked once we get this thread rolling.

Interests would be anything on vintage card collecting, baseball history but I usually stay away from biographies unless there is one you just have to tell about, also love the growth and expansion era of baseball (1940's through the 1970's) so anything relating to that, Brooklyn Dodgers and so on.

Let me know your thought and please feel free to share as much info to try and spread the love of a good book.

Drew
Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM
Peter F

The Last Good Season by Milton Shapiro. It's a really well researched book about the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

After Many A Summer by Murphy. It's about the Giants and Dodgers leaving NY for LA and SF. The book goes into the history of both organizations and the ownership personalities.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:35 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default Casey Award

I don't think you can go wrong picking something off the Casey Award listing. Last year's winning book on Bill Veeck was a treat as were a few of the other finalists.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:22 AM

I am reading "Baseball When the Grass was Real" by Donald Honig. It has been around awhile and I am finding it to be an excellent read. Some great profiles and stories from players that played between the twenties and forties.

Last edited by johnmh71; 11-30-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Which book(s) would you recommend for an accurate and entertaining account of the Black Sox Scandal? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot-owl View Post
I don't think you can go wrong picking something off the Casey Award listing. Last year's winning book on Bill Veeck was a treat as were a few of the other finalists.
Does the new Veeck book add anything not covered in "Veeck as in Wreck" (which I read at least once a year)?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Which book(s) would you recommend for an accurate and entertaining account of the Black Sox Scandal? Thanks.
I read "Eight Men Out: this past year and while it's obvious the dialogue was fabricated it did give a good insight into the leading up to story as well as the aftermath for the players. Been around for decades but still interesting and you can pick it up cheap all over the web

Drew
Old 11-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

"The Fireside Book of Baseball" has always been my favorite, any volume. If you read, for example, Volume 4 you will immediately want to read the rest of the volumes. I believe there are 5 volumes total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
I am reading "Baseball When the Grass was Real" by Donald Honig. It has been around awhile and I am finding it to be an excellent read. Some great profiles and stories from players that played between the twenties and forties.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Does the new Veeck book add anything not covered in "Veeck as in Wreck" (which I read at least once a year)?
"Veeck as in Wreck" and "The Hustlers Handbook" were both a LOT of fun
Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I highly recommend "Ed Delahanty in the Emerald Age of Baseball" by Jerrold Casway. The book really fleshes out Delahanty's personality and impact, with just the final chapter being dedicated to the fall. The book also gives lots of information on the 1890 Players' League and the contract jumping of the time.

As a lifelong Phillies fan. I loved the book because Casway also gives excellent information on the autocratic Phillies ownership of the era and 19th century Phillies Hall of Famers like Sam Thompson and Billy Hamilton. I mean, who knew that both Thompson and Hamilton were frugal men prepared for life after baseball?

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-30-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:58 PM
P*ter Me@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Dickson's Veeck book is thoroughly researched--and includes details from his youth to old age. From growing up almost as part of the Cubs organization (I believe his dad was a senior executive) to his time in the Marines; from his early days as a promoter with the minor league Milwaukee franchise to his different major league ownership efforts.

I had read Veeck as in Wreck years ago. I think Dickson's effort is the best biography of Veeck out there.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Default My pick

My pick would be John Tortes "Chief " Meyers, A Baseball Biography by William A. Young.

It's a excellent read about one of my favorite players.

Patrick
Old 12-01-2013, 05:37 AM
K Farrell

My favorite baseball book is The Celebrant by Eric Rolph Greenberg - great fictional account of Christy Mathewson's life - must read for any T-card collectors, but most of you already know that. Also, I recognize the Drew is asking about current books, but Barry Slots article in Issue #3 of V&CBC is an amazing reference for Rare and Historical baseball books. Books are a tough sell these days unless you have one of the gems from that article - all great.

For relatively current books, given Lou Brissie's recent passing, my next read is going to be The Corporal was a Pitcher - forgot it was on the shelf until I read his obit.

[/IMG]
Old 12-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Duncan

I just read a new book "One Summer:America,1927" by Bill Bryson. Really good coverage of the 1927 baseball season and Babe Ruth along with putting it on context of the era. Also, if you dont have them, there are to coffee table books with the Charles Conlon photos called "The Big Show" and "Baseball's Golden Age". Last, a must have for any baseball card fan and one of the funniest books I have ever read is "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book" by Brendan Boyd. Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Chris

Default Great read

Banzai Babe Ruth by Robert Fitts was the best I've read lately.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Mike Dugan

Great new book on the deadball era, SMOKY JOE WOOD by Gerald Wood (no relation I don't think.)

Great read on his pitching years, the comeback as an outfielder and his long xareer at Yale.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Chris

Just finished reading "Mint Condition" and "The Card". Just stared "Babe". Pretty good so far.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

More of a modern book - '33 Year-old rookie' is a well written autobiography by Chris Coste. Played against him in HS and college. Great guy. Never imagined watching him winning the '08 World Series with Philly. The newer edition has the WS included.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

I just finished Connie Mack's '29 Triumph, by Bill Kashatus. I learned a lot about Mack, the Athletics and the players of that time. I am a bit behind, so I just started Jane Leavey's biography of Mickey Mantle.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Dave Foster

Haven't read it yet, since it is only being released today, but a new one on Teddy Ballgame, entitled, "The Kid," by Ben Bradlee, Jr., has promise. Was reviewed Sun. in the LA Times book section. At 800+ pages, s'posed to be the definitive book on Williams. $35.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM
ErikV

Default Re: OT: Read any good books lately?

Chris,

If your looking for a well researched and accurate account of the 1919
World Series Scandal, I would recommend Burying the Black Sox by
Gene Carney. I knew Gene pretty well as we exchanged many emails.
He was considered an expert in the Black Sox field and authored scholarly
work. He passed away a few years ago.

His book can be purchased through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Burying-Black-...ds=Gene+carney

ErikV
Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 PM

Just finished THE 34-TON BAT by Steve Rushkin (2013), fun, full of odd facts and stories, nice read and lots of connections to memorabilia. probably mentioned before somewhere but all the Soos books are good, and THE CINCINNATI RED STALKINGS has the added benefit of being about memorabilia from the 1869 red stockings.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 PM

A few great reads in very nice condition now in the B/S/T auction section for peanuts (ends 12-13). Includes Addie Joss, Havana Heat (Dummy Taylor) and The Celebrant (Matty).
Shameful plug :-)
Old 12-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Default Good reads

Not exactly pre-war but I thoroughly enjoyed "Baseball Letters: A Fan's Correspondence with his Heroes" by Seth Swirsky. He also wrote "Every Pitcher Tells a Story" which is also a good read.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Bill Gregory

Default "The Christian Gentleman"

I recently started Christy Mathewson's "Pitching in a Pinch: Baseball From the Inside" (thank you again, Sean!)

Fascinating read thus far. I was immediately struck by the nuances of our language back then.

Also interesting to me was Matty's assertion that Joe Tinker was the toughest batter he'd ever faced (at least as of 1912 when the book was published). If ever there were an example of how statistics don't tell the whole story, this is it.

I can't wait to get to the part where he talks about Fred Merkle.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 12-13-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Scott Ti3k

The Glory of Their Times: The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told by the Men Who Played It by Lawrence S. Ritter. Good stuff!