NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Default Recognize This Artist Or What These Are?

These are coming up in a local auction today. I'm bidding on them just out of curiosity, but wondered if anyone recognized the artist (can't quite make out his name) or knows what they are? The auction description of "Mixed Media Athletic Portraits" isn't much help, and unfortunately I won't be able to make it to view them in person ahead of time.

My first impression is that they are some sort of decoupage application directly onto wood plaques, be even if that is the case, I would still be curious if the original illustrations used were part of a series of some sort? The art style strikes me as very familiar, but I can't quite place it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1104_1.jpg (61.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 1104_2.jpg (69.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 1104_3.jpg (73.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 1104_4.jpg (76.9 KB, 207 views)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

I've never seen thembefore, but they just scream 70's. You'll need some string art to hang them next to......

Steve B
Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I've never seen thembefore, but they just scream 70's. You'll need some string art to hang them next to......

Steve B
LOL

They'd perfectly complement a harvest gold kitchen.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Okay, let me clarify that the price is VERY cheap on them (and likely to remain that way) and I will probably be re-purposing them by cutting down the frames/plaques in some way. I just really like the illustrations and was hoping to find out more about the artist.

You may now resume with the guffawing.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Graig Kreindler

Lance,

Have you been able to see them in person, or just through the photographs?

Graig
Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Graig,

Unfortunately just the photographs shown. I will be seeing them in person when I pick them up (assuming nobody outbids me on these beauties), but won't have an opportunity to view them beforehand. My fault due to a scheduling conflict. I can post better pics later once I have them in hand.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Graig Kreindler

Lance,

If you do end up going for them, I'd definitely love to see more photographs of them. To me, it definitely looks like the illustrations are at least 30-35 years old. The artists strokes seem like the kind that were popular in the late 60s/early 70s, and may have come from some sort of educational/fantasy product. It seems like those figures are the kinds you may see in one of those visual guidebooks or style guides for pirates, Native Americans and what have you.

Of course, I could also be totally wrong!

And, it may be worth noting that it looks like at least two of them have somewhat-visible signatures. If you look next to one of the Hockey player's feet, as well as on right of the tennis player picture (under the net), you'll see a faint script name. Maybe once they're in your hands, you'll be able to discern them...

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think those are from a home decoupage kit from the early 1970s. My father made some of those collages on wood back in the day.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-18-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Ditto Exhibitman . .

I remember my old man making some of those too, back in the 70's
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Okay, let me clarify that the price is VERY cheap on them (and likely to remain that way) and I will probably be re-purposing them by cutting down the frames/plaques in some way. I just really like the illustrations and was hoping to find out more about the artist.

You may now resume with the guffawing.
I only guffaw because I have a weakness for atrocious 70's stuff.

I have a string art bruins logo that's about 2 feet square.

And our oven is harvest gold. It was free and replaced an even more awful one. It's days are numbered as my wife has been agitating for a modern stove, or at least one where the rings are mostly level.

Plus a few other very 70's items that I have few chances to display in a house from the 1880s.

I'd probably keep them as-is, but that's just me. It's not like you're cutting down a rembrandt no matter what the tennis guy looks like.

Steve B
Old 08-20-2011, 06:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Well, as it turns out, I didn't win the lot after all. Something went wrong with my bid, and I didn't realize it until I went to pick up the lot the next morning (thinking I had won). After some confused looks and checking the winning bids on-site, I went away empty-handed and a little embarrassed that I hadn't put two and two together. Oh well. Not a huge loss, and given my shortage of space in my office, I'm probably better off without the added clutter

Thanks anyway for the input, guys!